What's new

Breakthrough - Sub-Zero SZ 4Oct patch thread.

@blue dragon, yeah, but now you have command grab, that gives you 25% for a bar. That's pretty insane.

I see what you are saying but I completely prefer f42+L1xxdb2 +/- R2, was so easy and comfortable to do, iam very disappointed, I will just have to put in a lot of lab time on hard practice mode to work on f42xxdb2+R2~njp~jip~bf4 instead of f42+L1xxdb2+R2~njp~jip~bf4, it will take time for me to to adjust to the timing, muscle coordination and omitting the L1

D1 into EX Slide breaks armor. In Unbreakable with Aura this leads into a full combo.

With most armor being 2 his now I think this is pretty impressive. At least for Unbreakable with Aura. Though I'll admit I'm just a scrub so I dunno if this is note worthy or not.

Last edited:

Tender

Noob
@Braindead @Jeffrey Wolf that mid combo is great stuff! Here's my little contribution. B12 aura b12 is too tight for online. If u start out with aura then do jip, b12, ex burst, rc, b12, ice ball, aura, njp, b12, burst u get the same damage and it's much more consistent, this damage buff is insane, if u do the mid combo and the new corner combo any of them ur in grab to win territory lol

Lokheit

Noob
There is something about Cryo that is getting me worried even more than the changes to F122 or how dramatically the efficiency of B2 dropped for him.

I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems like the new grab leaves the opponent really close when you release the hammer, and when you try to do the follow up JIP as usual for Cryo, if the opponent wakes up blocking, it will whiff. If you use the hammer from just a bit further you can connect the JIP if they block, but on this distance you have to delay the JIP a bit (something you can't do if you want to bait their armor with an empty jump).

This could be a problem for Cryo and the way he keeps his momentum, I'm even toying with ending combos on slide instead of hammer to guarantee the setup: only 3 frames of advantage difference and just 2 damage difference because of the nerf to hammer, that after combo reduction gets even closer, the main problem is that slide doesn't guarantee the empty jump agains the fastest wakeups like Reptile's but you can JIK to hit him and evade the slide for example.

@Gilbagz can you confirm if you're experiencing the same kind of problems?

Last edited:

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
GUYS!

Being new to UB, I was trying out a B12 aura B12 combo I saw posted in here yesterday (shoutouts to @Jeffrey Wolf for the combo!)
and I just wanted to share the fact that...

I FINALLY GOT IT DOWN HOLY FUCK!

I was having so much trouble and then idk what changed and all of a sudden I could do it a lot more consistently. B12 aura B12 is weeeeird. lol

Braindead

I want Kronika to step on my face
GUYS!

Being new to UB, I was trying out a B12 aura B12 combo I saw posted in here yesterday (shoutouts to @Jeffrey Wolf for the combo!)

I was having so much trouble and then idk what changed and all of a sudden I could do it a lot more consistently. B12 aura B12 is weeeeird. lol
It's pretty tight.

For meterless conversions the max damage is to do B12 Aura, B12 Ice ball, then JIP 242 ... whatever. But you can do instead B12 ice ball, jip B12 Aura, 242 ... whatever. Does %1 less but a bit easier to hit 242 after Aura than B12.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
There is something about Cryo that is getting me worried even more than the changes to F122 or how dramatically the efficiency of B2 dropped for him.

I'm not sure why this happens, but it seems like the new grab leaves the opponent really close when you release the hammer, and when you try to do the follow up JIP as usual for Cryo, if the opponent wakes up blocking, it will whiff. If you use the hammer from just a bit further you can connect the JIP if they block, but on this distance you have to delay the JIP a bit (something you can't do if you want to bait their armor with an empty jump).

This could be a problem for Cryo and the way he keeps his momentum, I'm even toying with ending combos on slide instead of hammer to guarantee the setup: only 3 frames of advantage difference and just 2 damage difference because of the nerf to hammer, that after combo reduction gets even closer, the main problem is that slide doesn't guarantee the empty jump agains the fastest wakeups like Reptile's but you can JIK to hit him and evade the slide for example.

@Gilbagz can you confirm if you're experiencing the same kind of problems?
yeah was having the same bloody issue. you can mitigate by waiting like a frame so they have a higher hurtbox.
Or you can walk forward slightly ji2.
The walk forward ji2 is actually godlike too. Makes basically all advancing wake ups whiff.

To my knowledge, it would only get caught by pumped up ex gg in the current version of the game. Would beat literally everything else and let you run whiff punish for a full combo.

Also did a crap tonne of testing. Found some new optimal bnb for males.
Adjusted your f122 njp f122 combo for an extra 1%. Pretty consistent as well.
opener freeze f122 b12 b12 grab hammer
Off a raw f122 starter and 1 bar, you get 39, and you're not forced into the side switch like wonderchefs 39%.
Likely going to be my bnb for all males.
Females seem to fall faster so its not consistent, rather just do your version of it.

Also i tested b2 on crouch against the entire cast, you can only connect a f42 stabs on
Scorpion
Ermac
Alien
Jason
Leather Face
Kano
Erron Black
Kotal Kahn
Reptile
Ferra Torr
Triborg

Its super inconsistent on everyone else.

Finally played some games against people today. Losing a crap tonne while I get used to his new pressure.
Cmd grab is alright, but I still prefer the old f122 system. Had higher reward for less risk.

The biggest change to him imo is the reduced cancel advantage on f42. Ex hammer doesnt connect, which is huge a damage nerf to his footsie game. Hurts a lot, and trying to break my muscle memory so i confirm into ex freeze now.
Also been trying to use f4 freeze as run catch now, overall higher damage. But again i'm trying to break a year and half of muscle memory.

I still think he's slightly worse than we as prepatch. Prepatch cryo in the current meta would have been ridiculous. Prepatch cryo with the new f12 and 7f d1.

Meta has shifted towards a stronger footsie and zoning base.
Meanwhile cryo has gone from a footsie defensive character to a mix up character. He still works and its easier to open people up now, but its for a much larger risk with less reward.
Was a lot more consistent just playing solid neutral with f4. Until i break my old f4 habits, and my bnb muscle memories, i'm going to be struggling. Going to need a solid week to break all my old habits.

Just to seperate
The go to bnb on males now for sure is
opener iceball ji2 f122 b12 b12 grab ex hammer b12 grab hammer
b12 does the same damage as f122 but without the 0.85 scaling multiplier
not sure if its worth spending the bar though. It only adds like 5-6%.
Rather save it for f42, f33, b33 confirms

Also his best strings right now are f33 and f12 free. F12 frame traps, has the potential for a tick after on block, but is super risky now.
F33 always has a completely safe route. Is good to frame trap with, hit confirmable, and has tick chance, requires bar for high damage though.

Tanno

The Fantasy is the Reality of the Mind
σσ
GUYS!

The B12xxAura, B12 has the hardest as fuck link. Try the other strings (123, 242, F33) and you'll see what do I mean. The cue to press the next input is to see Sub Zero smoking out ice smoke (or watch the monitor trembling).

Tanno

Nope her teleports are faster now and connects with njp and 112 easily :cool:
In the previous patch, it had no hitboxes, thus it could pass through IK. I know it since my first MU with her Kobu Jutsu. Now she got it, thus the nerf there. :cool:

JGillette

My thirst for knowledge cannot be quenched
In the previous patch, it had no hitboxes, thus it could pass through IK. I know it since my first MU with her Kobu Jutsu. Now she got it, thus the nerf there. :cool:
It isnt even a problem as the Dragon Naginata obliterates Grandmaster :cool:

Tanno

It isnt even a problem as the Dragon Naginata obliterates Grandmaster :cool:
Didn't play her Dragon Naginata. Will go learn her MU over mine to see for myself. ;)

I know I'll be fucked up with her Pyromancer since she can send me her fireballs as fast as possible.