What's new

Breakthrough Superman's Midscreen Lockdown

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
MY GOOD FRIEND TOM BRADY called me yesterday and told me that @R.E.O. had discovered some useful tech with Superman to maintain midscreen pressure. Basically, you do a hard knockdown combo with F23, Trait, F2, MB Breath, B3, F3, then delay a Heat Zap so that it comes out on your opponent's standing animation. If timed correctly, they cannot crouch this, and it blows up most wakeups. This is good because you get two free dashes whether your opponent blocks or not. I could not record the computer on always crouch, but feel free to test this yourself.

Known wakeups to cancel this out:

Raven: Soul Crush
Killer Frost: Slide (MB B3)
Batgirl: Smoke Bomb (Full combo punished)
Shazam: Mercury Storm
Harley Quinn: Tantrum Stance
Flash: Speed Dodge(Full combo punished)

Ares: Warp Transmission
Deathstroke: Sword Flip(Full combo punished), Low guns

I haven't tested the entire cast, so please help me add to this list so we can fully explore the tech and make the best use out of it!

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Batgirl would get blocked and punished, KF can be MB B3'd on reaction at that distance.
Oh good. I just saw her absorb my laser and teleport so I put the controller down in disappointment.

Edit: Just tried and yep: plenty of time to block and F23 punish.

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
not to sound like a dick but this is new? this has been happening to me online for a while (at least the heat zap hitting me when im crouching part)
part of the reason Superman beats GL :p
Well I AND MANY OTHERS were not aware of it being used in this fashion, nor did I ever see a point in doing this combo on grey bar for any reason other than interactables and midscreen divebombs.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
MY GOOD FRIEND TOM BRADY called me yesterday and told me that @R.E.O. had discovered some useful tech with Superman to maintain midscreen pressure. Basically, you do a hard knockdown combo with F23, Trait, F2, MB Breath, B3, F3, then delay a Heat Zap so that it comes out on your opponent's standing animation. If timed correctly, they cannot crouch this, and it blows up most wakeups. This is good because you get two free dashes whether your opponent blocks or not. I could not record the computer on always crouch, but feel free to test this yourself.

Known wakeups to cancel this out:

Raven: Soul Crush
Killer Frost: Slide (MB B3)
Batgirl: Smoke Bomb (Full combo punished)
Shazam: Mercury Storm
Ares: Warp Transmission

I haven't tested the entire cast, so please help me add to this list so we can fully explore the tech and make the best use out of it!

Overall this looks like a variant of the Ares tech so it looks like once again, Sinestro is fucked. AGAIN

Last edited:

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
I guess this would be char dependent right? since if you're that far away, for some chars who is going to wakeup at that distance for heat zap. Flash certainly doesn't need to. I like the fact that it gives you a safe way to dash in though since even if they block it, you are +19.

EDIT: midscreen lockdowns, vortexes......I love it.

Last edited:

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
I guess this would be char dependent right? since if you're that far away, for some chars who is going to wakeup at that distance for heat zap. Flash certainly doesn't need to. I like the fact that it gives you a safe way to dash in though since even if they block it, you are +19.

EDIT: midscreen lockdowns, vortexes......I love it.
The wake up is only an option. If they choose not to, then they have to block and get dashed in on, or eat a heat zap and still get dashed on.

Vagrant

Noob
Yep, she absorbs it, but you get a full combo punish. Lose lose situation.
Is there enough supes recovery after the supes heat zap for flip to pass through and hit you?

Ooh here's another question actually. It hits if I crouch if you time it right but since low guns alter DS's hitbox, and go under zap every other time. will wakeup lowguns beat it?

DevilMaySpy

Mama's Little Bumgorf
Is there enough supes recovery after the supes heat zap for flip to pass through and hit you?

Ooh here's another question actually. It hits if I crouch if you time it right but since low guns alter DS's hitbox, and go under zap every other time. will wakeup lowguns beat it?
Thats an excellent question. Sword flip should get blown up, but I haven't tried it yet. Low guns, however, seem like a legitimate escape. I will try both of these after school.

Last edited:

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
How + is heatzap? 2 dashes would be something like 30 frames minimum.
Heat zap is +20 on block. I don't think it give 2 guaranteed dashes (Superman's dash is fast, but not 10F I don't think). Probably able to poke out, but then he can mix it up with dash into air dash or something to keep you guessing.
Good stuff @Emperor DMS / @Tom Brady / @R.E.O.

StevoSuprem0

I'm gonna make this skill gap... disappear.
Yeeep, I'd dash depending on the opponent's wake up options.
Well, reversal options. I'd say your best going for dash-> air dash against people with crappy AA/A2A options, and staying grounded against people who have really good ones. Feel them out, and adjust accordingly. That'll make an interesting matchup-based mindgame. Fun stuff.
Do you know what Superman's dash frames are?