What's new

Guide Sub-Zero official combo/Bnb/punish thread

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I've been using this for a little while now, but I wanted to get everybody's thoughts.

Whenever someone lands 212 freeze in the corner, most people do 4, then 222 into ice clone. However, I've been doing 212 freeze in the corner, 11 quick dash toward 222 ice clone. It does about 1% less damage, but I'm thinking that it packs the ice clone just a little bit tighter / closer than 4, 222 does.

Thoughts?

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
I've been using this for a little while now, but I wanted to get everybody's thoughts.

Whenever someone lands 212 freeze in the corner, most people do 4, then 222 into ice clone. However, I've been doing 212 freeze in the corner, 11 quick dash toward 222 ice clone. It does about 1% less damage, but I'm thinking that it packs the ice clone just a little bit tighter / closer than 4, 222 does.

Thoughts?
Yeah, I never drop the 11. Sometimes I think 212 is too low for the 4 to connect with anything else.
All up to the player.... but you really can't get the clone much closer in the corner :)

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
So as far as I know nobody has done this yet, but you can get more wall carry off of a midscreen 212 xx Freeze by doing a deep jump kick instead of b1(whiff)2:

EGP Wonder_Chef

Also I have zero idea if this is better than what's out there, but I implemented a deep jump kick into his corner 212 xx freeze combo and I think it does 1% more than what people usually do?

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Also I have zero idea if this is better than what's out there, but I implemented a deep jump kick into his corner 212 xx freeze combo and I think it does 1% more than what people usually do?

Both of these videos look like solid tech to me. Especially the second video. I think that adds about 3% more damage than compared to if you do everything there but without the jump kick.

I'll definitely be trying these out for myself, the next time that I get some practice. Thanks for the videos!

EGP Wonder_Chef

Both of these videos look like solid tech to me. Especially the second video. I think that adds about 3% more damage than compared to if you do everything there but without the jump kick.

I'll definitely be trying these out for myself, the next time that I get some practice. Thanks for the videos!
Cool, I hope they really are new.

Shoryuken Denzell Tom Brady that's for you guys!

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
So as far as I know nobody has done this yet, but you can get more wall carry off of a midscreen 212 xx Freeze by doing a deep jump kick instead of b1(whiff)2:

curious.... there are times when the 2,1,2 freeze hits very low... does this still work there as well? That'd be huge.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

curious.... there are times when the 2,1,2 freeze hits very low... does this still work there as well? That'd be huge.
I know exactly what you are referring to, and I still do think that it will work. Simply because of the crazy hitbox that is 2,2. After the 2,2; I'm guessing that it will still pop up your opponent up just enough for the slide to connect.

.......in theory.

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Heres a corner combo off of 224~freeze that does the same amount of damage has 224~freeze, 4, 222. But it gives you a clone that you can jump kick opponents into like a 212~clone.
224~freeze, 21, 222, free Tom Brady tech ice clone.

JDE

Pick up & kill it & kill it & kill it!
Yo what's up everybody? I'm new to this site & Sub-Zero has always been my character in any MK game that's been out. I wanna learn him & play in tournaments. So what's the gameplan with Sub? How well does he stack up against others?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Yo what's up everybody? I'm new to this site & Sub-Zero has always been my character in any MK game that's been out. I wanna learn him & play in tournaments. So what's the gameplan with Sub? How well does he stack up against others?
Hi welcome to the site.
Sub-Zero is a defensive character who shuts down the footsie game with his ice clone. His main goal is to corner the opponent because he has a number of ice clone set ups that really limit the opponent's options.
It's really basic introduction but that is Sub in a nutshell.
For a more indepth tutorial watch the videos in the channel below.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AltBrady

Reactions: JDE

JDE

Hi welcome to the site.
Sub-Zero is a defensive character who shuts down the footsie game with his ice clone. His main goal is to corner the opponent because he has a number of ice clone set ups that really limit the opponent's options.
It's really basic introduction but that is Sub in a nutshell.
For a more indepth tutorial watch the videos in the channel below.
http://www.youtube.com/user/AltBrady
Thanks. So that means I'll be zoning rather than constantly just attacking?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Thanks. So that means I'll be zoning rather than constantly just attacking?
Not just zoning, you use the ice clone to control the space and slowly push them towards the corner.
And differs match up to match up anyway.
Have to learn each match.
Kenshi for example you wouldn't want to try zone (you wouldn't want to fight Kenshi using Sub anyway lol).
While someone like Cage you would want to zone for the majority of the match cuz of his rush down.

JDE

Not just zoning, you use the ice clone to control the space and slowly push them towards the corner.
And differs match up to match up anyway.
Have to learn each match.
Kenshi for example you wouldn't want to try zone (you wouldn't want to fight Kenshi using Sub anyway lol).
While someone like Cage you would want to zone for the majority of the match cuz of his rush down.
Wow lol.. That sux. I'll find a 2nd character as well. I usually find ways to win with a defensive character. My style is rushdown & baiting people so I can definitely work with that. I take it Kenshi is on the characters that's on top of the food chain as far as tiers while Sub-Zero's matchup doesn't favor him against Kenshi.

ryublaze

Noob
Anyone know about Sub's reverse combo off of 2,1,2? I learned this from @o-BEEF_SUPREME-o a looooooooong time ago and I think it's pretty swag.

(you in the corner)
2,1,2, ice ball, full forward dash, jk, slide (or 2,2, slide if you do the jk deep enough)

Does the same amount of damage as his 2,1,2 BnB but switches sides.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
Anyone know about Sub's reverse combo off of 2,1,2? I learned this from @o-BEEF_SUPREME-o a looooooooong time ago and I think it's pretty swag.

(you in the corner)
2,1,2, ice ball, full forward dash, jk, slide (or 2,2, slide if you do the jk deep enough)

Does the same amount of damage as his 2,1,2 BnB but switches sides.
i've tried to do this on multiple occasions and just mistime it :( I R NOT GUD.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
i've tried to do this on multiple occasions and just mistime it :( I R NOT GUD.
Its hella swag :)

Also, I may as well put this in here.

My signature shenanigan: I had been looking for a way to set up f4 without telegraphing it so bad. And then I noticed, that for fear of the slide, everyone blocks low on sub....of course, old news right?

@STB SGT. Reed can back me up here, this is not a guaranteed set up, but more like a "catch them slipping' kind of gimmick to net a little more damage. It utilizes the 'safe jump' from b12.

22~ice blast jip b12 crossover djk f4~freeze <follow up>

Thoughts? Hella risky and I only go for it if I can break, but Its bad fucking ass looking. You can also set this up by first going for a block string after the djk to see how they are blocking etc. But yes...there it is.

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta

My signature shenanigan: I had been looking for a way to set up f4 without telegraphing it so bad. And then I noticed, that for fear of the slide, everyone blocks low on sub....of course, old news right?

@STB SGT. Reed can back me up here, this is not a guaranteed set up, but more like a "catch them slipping' kind of gimmick to net a little more damage. It utilizes the 'safe jump' from b12.

Thoughts? Hella risky and I only go for it if I can break, but Its bad fucking ass looking. You can also set this up by first going for a block string after the djk to see how they are blocking etc. But yes...there it is.
I've seen this work more on Low hitbox characters where standing 2 whiffs.
Their natural instincts tell them to duck it.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior

Works like a charm, fuck the haters!