What's new

Match-up Discussion - Grandmaster Sub-Zero GM Match Ups

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'd like to play a good one for a long set to really get a look into how she works. Right now, I feel Cryo is the best option since she can punish/ circumvent clone regularly. Is it only Kobu Tanya we're looking at?

DT Tundra

Steam Name:Tundra_Arctos Twitter: @tundraarctos
I'd like to play a good one for a long set to really get a look into how she works. Right now, I feel Cryo is the best option since she can punish/ circumvent clone regularly. Is it only Kobu Tanya we're looking at?
Kobu vs Gm specifically. I don't really have confidence in my Cryo since my GM is leagues ahead of where my cryo is at.

Snoop88

Noob
Kobu vs Gm specifically. I don't really have confidence in my Cryo since my GM is leagues ahead of where my cryo is at.
Keep her away. If she gets close to you it's very hard to get out. Her projectile is high so you can duck under it even when it's EX. Keep her in slide distance so you can counter her projectile on reaction. Try to trap her into the clone. Especially when she is teleporting. You need to put a clone in place where you think she will land. On wake up she can go ex drill or this ex somersault kick. One goes low and other overhead so you need to be aware of it. However both those moves are nicely counter with armor shred tech. Patience is the key.

DT Tundra

Steam Name:Tundra_Arctos Twitter: @tundraarctos
Keep her away. If she gets close to you it's very hard to get out. Her projectile is high so you can duck under it even when it's EX. Keep her in slide distance so you can counter her projectile on reaction. Try to trap her into the clone. Especially when she is teleporting. You need to put a clone in place where you think she will land. On wake up she can go ex drill or this ex somersault kick. One goes low and other overhead so you need to be aware of it. However both those moves are nicely counter with armor shred tech. Patience is the key.
Thanks, you helped out a lot.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
GM's match ups are bad against characters with teleports (Scorpion/ Ermac) or disjointed hitboxes (D'Vorah/ WG Kotal). Decent against character who have strong advancing MB specials (Jax). Good against character with poor armor options or answers to zoning (Quan Chi).

I feel he stands higher than most place him given the tools he has.

Last edited:

zoofs

bless
So what are GM's matchups like? Where do you all feel he stands?
what do you mean exactly? like overall the ratio of his bad mu's to good mu's? On the tiers I think he's right around 10-12 and just from a rough standpoint I think he's a weird character mu wise. I feel like he has a few really good mu's in his favour, a lot of pretty good 6-4s, as well as a good amount of bad mu's. Imo anyone who wants to do extremely well offline should probably have a secondary at this point, I also don't mean he isn't viable, just that he has a good amount of terrible mu's you might want to cover.

it's not impossible of course and someone could obviously prove me wrong but yeah

zoofs

bless
GM's match ups are bad against characters with teleports (Scorpion/ Ermac) or disjointed hitboxes (D'Vorah/ WG Kotal). Decent against character who have strong advancing MB specials (Jax). Good against character with poor armor options or answers to zoning (Quan Chi).

I feel he stands higher than most place him given the tools he has.
I think scorp and ermac go even, same with war god

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Played a Dragon Naginata Tanya with Cryo Sub earlier. Uphill battle, d2 was typically not fast enough to AA teleports, stand 1 AA was stuffed by awkward angled attacks. All she had to do was jump, and then the pole stance would keep her safe and hard to hit, rarely touching the ground.

What ended up working was NJP, similarly to the way it counters Imposter Shinnok teleport. I haven't lab' it out yet, but if you run into one give it a shot.

RagingRicans

NetBattles
Y have I never tried njp for imposter !!! Thanks dude lol
Subs Neutral jump punch isn't the best punish for shinnok teleport. Stand 1 trades with NJK but beats punch clean. Frost bombing is the best option, but requires meter. Avoiding the teleport with dash or walking is my favorite though lol

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Hmm... I like the walk idea. I do something similar to KL teleport, just hold forward on reaction. What's the punish when he lands, b12? Does this work on Kenshi too?

Snoop88

Noob
Yup, you need good timing & read on that njp to counter Shinnok's teleport. However it is doable. Other tactic is to just move away right when you see him teleport. He will not hit you unless you are in the middle of a jump.

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Subs Neutral jump punch isn't the best punish for shinnok teleport. Stand 1 trades with NJK but beats punch clean. Frost bombing is the best option, but requires meter. Avoiding the teleport with dash or walking is my favorite though lol
the dash or walk away gives Impostor the chance to use his hellsparks or just tricky portal u again... when u see impostor jump in the air always jump with him and njp on reaction to the tele, mashing might actually do it as well
Shinnok scrubs sure love to do tele then hellsparks online and the worst part is I fall for it everytime.

RagingRicans

NetBattles
the dash or walk away gives Impostor the chance to use his hellsparks or just tricky portal u again... when u see impostor jump in the air always jump with him and njp on reaction to the tele, mashing might actually do it as well
Shinnok scrubs sure love to do tele then hellsparks online and the worst part is I fall for it everytime.
Nah, only the most blatant teleports are punishable by njp consistently imo

RVB

twitch.tv/rvblacktail
Nah, only the most blatant teleports are punishable by njp consistently imo
if you're playing vs a good shinnok then yeah he'll pick his spots to tele on you but on the off chance you play with an idiot that jumps back tele hellsparks all day long ya know what to do.
Like I said sad part is online let's them get away with it.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Guys I need serious help with Swarm Queen D'Vorah. Her ovipositor attacks give negative fucks about the Klone, her normals simply outclass Sub. I can't ice ball trade with the ground burst(don't know what this shit is called) because D'Vorah is unfrozen when Sub-Zero hits the ground and he takes damage and nothing happens to her so it feels very hard to even use ice ball. If I by some unknown reason manage to get her to the corner it is good because her armor is shit but even then unless I just got done knocking her down with a combo ending in f12 and Klone out, the ovipositors make her really difficult to contain. I'm open to any suggestions, I'm trying to make it work but I just don't feel comfortable against a half decent swarm queen.

Guys I need serious help with Swarm Queen D'Vorah. Her ovipositor attacks give negative fucks about the Klone, her normals simply outclass Sub. I can't ice ball trade with the ground burst(don't know what this shit is called) because D'Vorah is unfrozen when Sub-Zero hits the ground and he takes damage and nothing happens to her so it feels very hard to even use ice ball. If I by some unknown reason manage to get her to the corner it is good because her armor is shit but even then unless I just got done knocking her down with a combo ending in f12 and Klone out, the ovipositors make her really difficult to contain. I'm open to any suggestions, I'm trying to make it work but I just don't feel comfortable against a half decent swarm queen.
According to Tom Brady this bitch is fucked. He'd definitely be the person to talk to.