What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Umm....lol....I completely disagree. Would you mind explaining?
What @STK said. His strings are not awful, but just cause they are not awful doesn't make them good either. And you see just how awful his strings are when your faced against an opponent like Johnny and Cassie cage, Jax, or even Devorah. Even if he had a string that he could stagger that would be better than what he's got without clone. Tom once said on stream that the reason he has such bad strings is cause of clone but in Cryo and UB they could have givin him at least one string that he can use to pressure with. F12 is great, however in Cryo it's 0 on block and has 15 frames of start up so its not much in the way of pressure. In GM an UB is +2 but on hit causes knock down and isn't special cancelable. Not that I mind the hard knock down but having like f33, f42, or b12 being 0 or +2 would have been very much appreciated.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Speaking of his strings, I just noticed b12 and 12 have the same cray range. Am I late to the party on this?

Gilbagz

Joker here~
@Gilbagz you should post your footage with baxter including your commentary with him from Thursday night. It was very good and informative
Haha don't think it was that helpful tbh
I just jumped way too much and didn't show much in terms of tech
Was mostly a neutral based game

seakaybe

Noob
Haha don't think it was that helpful tbh
I just jumped way too much and didn't show much in terms of tech
Was mostly a neutral based game
No dude it was very helpful, don't under sell it. On top of the game play both you and Baxter had some very good things to say. Look I found it helpful and I am sure others will too.

Endeavor

No dude it was very helpful, don't under sell it. On top of the game play both you and Baxter had some very good things to say. Look I found it helpful and I am sure others will too.
I'd like to see the set.

Endeavor

http://www.twitch.tv/fightinggamebaxter/v/16441085
Well here's the break down.

Raw footage is here:
http://www.twitch.tv/goodpart/v/15782389
FT10 starts at about 2:00:00hrs
My other matches start at 36minutes

Other matches of mine on the zeroyiggs channel, http://www.twitch.tv/zeroyiggs/v/15641523
- 9mins 40sec
- 1hr 13min
You are a liar sir. Those matches were GDLK. One thing I will say is, after you block a point blank fireball from Liu Kang, B12 punish him every time. That move hella negative on block.

Creepy00

Noob
B12 along with F33 are one of subs best strings that are safe on block, have good range and is easily special cancel on hit. It just happens that cryo doesn't benefit as much as GM from b12.

CJMxxx

Noob
How do I deal with Sonya ? She just dive kicks all day and I have to eat the 50/50, matchup feels unwinnable.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
This is a tough MU...

The dive kick is pretty punishable on block obviously, but also on whiff, 10f or something? If she's abusing the OH low string, you can reversal between hits (back dash or armor). If you don't opt for that, but guess right and she goes into military stance, block high as the low will lead to much less damage (for midscreen situations).

If you're pressuring her, you don't have to respect any wake ups since d4 low profiles everything but X Ray (whiff punish leg grab) so check her with that often. The best she can do is reset neutral with ex ark kick whiff (Which is punishable on block so even that's risky).

CJMxxx

Noob
Thanks for the tips. I was having some success spacing out the dive kick and punishing with b2, but when she gets in, it just feels like I can never guess right on wakeup or when I try to exwakeup, I get read and when I don't have meter, it's impossible to guess right haha.

Creepy00

Noob
You could also use Grandmaster instead for this sort of MUs. Cryo tends to struggle against better rushdown characters where GM can keep them on check with iceclone and force them to play your game.

STB BroZki

Don’t know what to put here
You could also use Grandmaster instead for this sort of MUs. Cryo tends to struggle against better rushdown characters where GM can keep them on check with iceclone and force them to play your game.
This. Cryo is awesome but keep in mind that it will fall very short in certain matchups. I mean the best thing you can do as Cryo is be patient and wait for them to slip then you make them feel deaths cold embrace lol. Seriously though GM would be a wiser choice in this instance.

NB Semi Evil Ryu

Former Sub-Zero of the Midwest (2011 - 2015)
I just started playing Cryo for the past week ago. Haven't really taken my Week 1 Cryo to offline matches yet, but right now my mind set is this:

If opponent is rushdown character, gonna go GM
If opponent is not rushdown character, gonna go Cryo
If opponent has a teleport or has a hella good range NJP (think Raiden or Kung Jin), gonna go Cryo

(That last one I may or may not change my mind on as I get experience)

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
That mindset seems oversimplified. Rush down and neutral are different, and clone ramps up Sub Zero's neutral, not necessarily his defense. Beyond that, non-rush down characters are almost a rarity.

Thinking about the rush down cast, punish opportunities arise more often in say a Scorpion or Ermac MU than in a Cassie MU. They're both rush down, but Cryo is going to hurt Scorpion more than GM would, where as GM would hurt Cassie's play more than Cryo would.

STB BroZki

Don’t know what to put here
That mindset seems oversimplified. Rush down and neutral are different, and clone ramps up Sub Zero's neutral, not necessarily his defense. Beyond that, non-rush down characters are almost a rarity.

Thinking about the rush down cast, punish opportunities arise more often in say a Scorpion or Ermac MU than in a Cassie MU. They're both rush down, but Cryo is going to hurt Scorpion more than GM would, where as GM would hurt Cassie's play more than Cryo would.
Good answer. It always matters on what tools your opponents character has. If they can maneuver well around clone then using GM isn't the best idea

Sooo, I'm probably late to the party, but has anyone else discovered the Cryomancer infinite string? If not, I'll post an explanation and video soon.

EDIT: nope doesn't exist

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Sooo, I'm probably late to the party, but has anyone else discovered the Cryomancer infinite string? If not, I'll post an explanation and video soon.

EDIT: Apparently it's also present in GM and UB, just in a weaker form.
This is relevant to my interests. Please, post it.

nvm i'm an idiot, it was f42throw into ice ball and i totally didn't notice the hole the first time, it was looping indefinitely which seemed odd but cool and then i figured it out

Last edited: