What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

Unless theres something i missed, you dont pressure so much with cryo as you punish, hard. 111 is an amazing tool for anything that needs a 7f punish, b2 and f4 are still damn good in the neutral to catch whiffs.

You can apply some pressure with d4 on hit but with our strings being almost all - on block coupled with the fact that canceling into any of cryos special on block can leave you into a bad position im really not convinced cryo is a good pressure character.

I could be wrong tho :p

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
Unless theres something i missed, you dont pressure so much with cryo as you punish, hard. 111 is an amazing tool for anything that needs a 7f punish, b2 and f4 are still damn good in the neutral to catch whiffs.

You can apply some pressure with d4 on hit but with our strings being almost all - on block coupled with the fact that canceling into any of cryos special on block can leave you into a bad position im really not convinced cryo is a good pressure character.

I could be wrong tho :p
I completely agree. Thev worst part is that he is easily overwhelmed by high offensive characters.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Stand 1, stand 4 and f12 are the best he's got, which are neutral on block. Unfortunately, most of these are going to come from a jip. F33 on block leaves SZ at such distance and - frames where retaliation by the opponent can often be met with ex crushing hammer for a bait/ punish (straight out of the Unbreakable meta). Throw it out and see what the opponents reaction is before you burn the meter maybe.

F4 xx hammer is underrated as a pressure tool. The core of GM pressure is desperation, being trapped behind clone and it's powerful. F4 xx hammer is the closest thing Cryo has to that, trapping the opponent behind a neutral he excels in via d4, f4 and d2. If at anytime SZ fails to create his preferred neutral, he can fall back on back dash.

Endeavor

Stand 1, stand 4 and f12 are the best he's got, which are neutral on block. Unfortunately, most of these are going to come from a jip. F33 on block leaves SZ at such distance and - frames where retaliation by the opponent can often be met with ex crushing hammer for a bait/ punish (straight out of the Unbreakable meta). Throw it out and see what the opponents reaction is before you burn the meter maybe.

F4 xx hammer is underrated as a pressure tool. The core of GM pressure is desperation, being trapped behind clone and it's powerful. F4 xx hammer is the closest thing Cryo has to that, trapping the opponent behind a neutral he excels in via d4, f4 and d2. If at anytime SZ fails to create his preferred neutral, he can fall back on back dash.
Well I'm asking how are other cryo players creating the neutral they want? Like againt takeda and kitanna who are constantly in the air, or against khotal khan who isn't willing to play neutral, and finally against A-List JC who is plus on everything.

I play pretty much 100% bulldog rushdown with Cryo Sub and most of the time they're stuck in the corner about 90% of the match, dying hard :) but then again I rely heavily on good reads and knowing the best punishes at the best ranges. Sub has REALLY good buttons and punishes, and a ton of them give pretty hefty frame adv. on hit, especially 1,1,1, b1,2, d4, f+4xx etc. If they really like pushing buttons you can really stuff just about anything at sweep distance on reaction. D4 should be abused - a lot - and combined with quick runs cancelled into more pokes. Always, always ALWAYS maximize your damage (so many noob Cryos now have no clue how to break 30%), you need to hit like a truck every time and scare them. Also, learn to punish dumb jump-ins/YOLO buttons with EX Hammer on reaction. I love swarming them with d4 and f4xxHammer, so long as you pause once in a while and watch for retaliation if you're at disadvantage, block and punish the fuck out of them.

Typically I'll tick with d3/d4 and stick out the occasional b1,2 to interrupt/hit confirm and catch them napping. If you stick to his few safe/semi-safe pokes and don't overextend, it's not hard to get them scared to do much because his damage is more than intimidating now, and that's a factor you need to push with Cryo to get the full mindfuck. Train them to block low with d3 and d4 and pop them with b2/b1,2 interrupt whenever you have frame advantage and KNOW they will press buttons, and after one or two 40%+ punishes almost anyone will get shook... and that's when you close in. Sure there's more to it than that and it sounds a little YOLO, but I fully believe that Cryo is at his best with a mix of punishing and full-blown rushdown... and more importantly, pushing the intimidation factor. With GM, Sub's game is to get them feeling powerless and stuck behind the clone all day... with Cryo, you need to have the shock and awe "holy shit 80% of my life is gone in ten seconds" factor to cripple them mentally.

Last edited:
I was just messing around and discovered this corner combo.

Jump in with 1...Back 2,Back 2,Forward 4,2 1+3 (Enhanced Ice Ball)...Jump back...Jump in with 1...Forward 4,2 1+3 (Ice Hammer)...45 percent. ..1 bar

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
So has anyone found any set up potential for cold blooded cancel? I feel like leaving the opponent splatted every time is kind of wasteful in the neutral.
I recommend every one use this, it is very good. Great stuff @EGP Wonder_Chef

Midscreen, I think jip works similarly. The number of ways this variation can beat wake ups, between safe jumps and air hammer, is awesome.

As for ending strings, back dash is a great idea. Yomi jump ins blow it up, but that's kind of the ebb and flow of fighting games. @Zeero hows your ice burst getting blown up anyway? InFlames armoring through the gap? Punishing? Mixing up?
jump forward block works mid screen also. completely baits out Cassie power flip

Deadly Torcher

King Dingaling
Just picked Cryo up & no some of his damaging 50\50 nonsense combos but hat do you guys use mid screen off of b33 ex hammer?

I use b33 ex hammer njp fjp cold blooded hammer. Is there anything better than that? Feels like he could do more.

Cheers

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
B33 xx crushing hammer (step forward), b2, run f42 1+3, hammer.

There's a combo thread sticky that has all his best combos for all variations if you want to check that out. It even has awkward conversion type stuff like anti air 1 combos or air-to-air conversions.

Endeavor

Ok so I have heard this for a while now and I am very curious. So Cryomancer has a safe jump after hammer with ji1 mid-screen or am I on crack? And if he does, how does one do said safe jump?

Endeavor

Lets see, cyromancer subzero
-Has trouble getting in against zoners (in general)
-Has a harder time building meter than GM
-Struggles against better rushdown character
-No Iceclone aka control/ keep out tool
Garbage strings, don't forget about that.

seakaybe

Noob
@Gilbagz you should post your footage with baxter including your commentary with him from Thursday night. It was very good and informative

Last edited:

STK

Beso de Muerte + Fantasía Oscura
None of his string are plus on block beside f12 in GM. but it doesn't grant you much. Doesn't mean there useless. We are sub players. after all these years we should be used to the "work with what you got" motto by now.