What's new

Guide - Cryomancer Sub-Zero CRYOMANCER Guide

Air hammer is still meh, hammer is usable. I have used cryomancer since day 1. He was weak but usable, just had to wait for a punish. Now you can come at them it seems like.

B12 iceball etc is still usable, f122 is still okay.
111 iceball b2 ex or reg hammer into cold blood into hammer is nice.
If you have trouble with b2 into run just realize f4 has crazy reach, you run like half a second most times. I still don't 100 percent trust it online but I can do it almost all the time.

Main thing is add db2 to all cold blood combos to get same or better damage as before, I spammed ex hammer before for the juggle so it's not really new to many cryomancer players I believe.
This.
Everyone is yelling that hes op now, when in fact, he hasn't changed that much. before he was outclassed by almost the entire cast, Now he is viable. he has good damage which is what this variation is all about, since he doesn't have any pressure what so ever, and he struggels big time against zoners.
People are just not used to having a good offensive sub zero, and now that there is one, they all yell op, its BS

Last edited:

seakaybe

Noob
How are you all pulling b2 b2 cold blood in the corner all the time online? I have trouble with that and usually just b2 cold blood ex hammer cold blood hammer.

Thanks in advance.
Online if you're concerned with timing only do one b2 in the corner it's still going to net you 43% damage over 47% and if you through in a 1 after the b2 you'll get 44%, so b2,1,f42grab~exdb2, f42grab, db2

I am just going to test jip after the exhammer, I think I saw something like that in someone video yesterday and it gets that same combo up to 45%

seakaybe

Noob
Online if you're concerned with timing only do one b2 in the corner it's still going to net you 43% damage over 47% and if you through in a 1 after the b2 you'll get 44%, so b2,1,f42grab~exdb2, f42grab, db2

I am just going to test jip after the exhammer, I think I saw something like that in someone video yesterday and it gets that same combo up to 45%
Ignore my post I am wrong the extra 1 does nothing.

I am having trouble connecting the last cold blood after b2 cold blood ex hammer in the corner! Ugh, I fail at mkx. Lol.

For mid screen are you guys using any iceball combos? I am still using b12 iceball jip f122 cold blood with hammer, can't unlearn that string.

My thumb is starting to blister so taking a break. Randomly find some nice combos but nothing beating 43 percent and no ex still not beating 37.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I am having trouble connecting the last cold blood after b2 cold blood ex hammer in the corner! Ugh, I fail at mkx. Lol.

For mid screen are you guys using any iceball combos? I am still using b12 iceball jip f122 cold blood with hammer, can't unlearn that string.

My thumb is starting to blister so taking a break. Randomly find some nice combos but nothing beating 43 percent and no ex still not beating 37.
If you f42 1+3 as soon as you can after the ex crushing hammer, you should hit that corner combo. SZ recovers almost immediately. I use the hold up to jump method when I'm having issues linking that kinda stuff, just to see how soon I can act.

As for ice ball combos, personally I think those are the way to go if the opponent has 2 or more meters for breaker.

Look at it this was; you're going to take the round in 3 solid conversions no matter if you do 43% or 33%. Cryo has to burn meter on hammers early in the combo unless you go the ice ball route. Once they break the meterless combo, open up with the b12/ 111/ b33 xx ex crushing hammer stuff with the meter you saved, get that 40+%. Saves you resources and makes up the damage for the combo they broke.

seakaybe

Noob

I found that if I enter the f42 during the animation sequence (just as they bounce) of the ex hammer I'll nail it but if I wait till its over I drop it every time.

InFlames

dead
Who else uses f12 for pressure? its neutral on block and also hitconfirmable. It basically gives you the same options as the restand but point blank. Also you can do f122 to catch them trying to poke after.

It's obviously not a good option with characters with faster pokes than 7 frames, but atleast its better than just doing random 50/50 or negative strings then back off.

Gilbagz

Joker here~
Who else uses f12 for pressure? its neutral on block and also hitconfirmable. It basically gives you the same options as the restand but point blank. Also you can do f122 to catch them trying to poke after.

It's obviously not a good option with characters with faster pokes than 7 frames, but atleast its better than just doing random 50/50 or negative strings then back off.
yeah f1,2 is really good for pressure
its lack of range and slow start up make it only really good off a jump in though
and the issue with that is people with safe armour can just mash armour, disabling that string completely

but otherwise yeah really good string

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
F12/ f122 has a similar timing gap between the 2nd and 3rd hit to that of Johnny Cage's 113/ 11, OH. Granted, the transition is slower for SZ, but the application is the same. The only issue is we only have a low b33 after, and they'd be looking for that. We could f12> throw to beat a crouching block though.

I am still playing cryomancer as a punisher, not a Liu Kang beater. So still using a lot of b12 iceball into f122 or b2 RC cold blood. 111 is really good now, just hard wired after months of playing one way.

I am hoping someone finds a nice block string we can use, like 111 into cold blood into hammer, just an example, something we can actually rush down and not get destroyed. Like how Liu and others can just push on you with little fear.

Anyway, still learning and I'll have some new videos up soon as I get a day off. On an 8 day 11 hour stretch currently.

Good luck everyone.

podizzler3000

http://streamable.com/ti5z
just picked up cryomancer this guide is still very useful thanks tombrady. im shocked how easy his execution is after playing tremor with them damn db2d inputs that would drive me nuts

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Hey so... Ice hammer recovers faster on hit than on whiff/ block, example application end combo with "f42 1+3 xx db2, whiff slide (cross up), or cold blooded xx hammer > safe jump jip.

In the effort to build meter/ bait reversals/ look like ice cold John Henry, you can end with "cold blooded xx hammer (hkd), whiff hammer." But try a third hammer and you'll notice the game won't accept the input until much later, almost as if the hammer on hit cancelled a good portion of its own recovery. Does anyone know why this is or has anyone else noticed this?

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Not sure why either. I've been using meaty hammer on knockdown with good success though. Stuffs a lot of shit

fobley

Noob
Not sure why either. I've been using meaty hammer on knockdown with good success though. Stuffs a lot of shit
I wouldn't recommend stuffing shit, it will eventually stink and make your stomach hurt.

:DOGE

With that pro tip out of the way, do we have any decent meterless midscreen combos off of b33? I find myself just doing b33 xx slide to push them into corner, but I'd like another option besides this.

InFlames

dead
I wouldn't recommend stuffing shit, it will eventually stink and make your stomach hurt.

With that pro tip out of the way, do we have any decent meterless midscreen combos off of b33? I find myself just doing b33 xx slide to push them into corner, but I'd like another option besides this.
b33xxhammer

seakaybe

Noob

The only meterless combos that I can think of that will continue after the cancel only work on the female characters. It's the only time you can connect the ice ball to continue play.

Endeavor

I'll live a villain, before I die a hero.
So my fellow ice Ninjas how have you been getting his X-ray to connect after the command grab? Cause its just not coming out for me.

seakaybe

Noob
So my fellow ice Ninjas how have you been getting his X-ray to connect after the command grab? Cause its just not coming out for me.
you've got to do it after the last stab or just as the animation ends. it always feels like I am doing it to late but it works

Endeavor

I've been experimenting with that string as well since I picked up Cryo. It's a decent option but you can jump out before the first hit after d4 which makes it a mediocre string over all. But that's just my initial thoughts. What do you guys think? Also wanted to know what you guys are doing on knockdown for oki.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Pending the meter situation (none), I do a lot of cross over ji1> mix up, empty jump in>throw, or raw strike/ throw. D4/ f4 xx hammer checks to see if they're pressing buttons. I like jip/ jik> air hammer in the corner sometimes.

If they have armor available, I throw a lot of whiffed d3's or run at them to bait until they wake up. Or sometimes if I know they'll wake up with something, I'll meaty f4 xx ex crushing hammer to stuff it. Makes them question if their safe wake ups are actually safe. MU dependent of course.

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
D4/ f4 xx hammer checks to see if they're pressing buttons.
Are opponents able to jump out/cross-over jump the hammer on reaction? I haven't played humans, so bear with me.

Cause you can jump out of anything into Hammer, right?

Endeavor

For the most part I've been taking hanmer out of my game unless I score a hit. For block strings I've been ending in frost bomb. And doing frost bomb in neutral (provided the spacing allows it) to build meter along with throwing ice ball. I will say that from what I see he does actually need the damage in this variation since his "pressure" is just meh, on top of his oki game being extremely sub par in this variation, and of brain dead 50/50s. His match ups stayed the same mostly from what I see, it's just when he hits you now, you have to care. I'm still trying to find a use for air hammer. What are the typical situations you guys are using it for?