What's new

Video/Tutorial Stryker Video Guide By Espio

Espio

Kokomo
Wow D1 really sucks. I dont care if it's 6 frames, it still sucks. Maybe D3 should be the go to for anti poking
Wait did I miss something? It's an option to poke out of pressure, that was the main reason to mention it. Based on looking at the frame data, it sucks no worse than the majority of the cast's down 1 in terms of disadvantage on block and hit.

Down 3 is safer, but again, the video is just listing options to get out of pressure, people should be aware of all their options, ya know?

it should, blocked tele is -14 or 16 d4 is 12. if you hit you're +12 meaning she shouldnt have time to njp
It's -14, techniqually you could just cross up after block since you're at +14 instead of doing down 4 to get +12.

espio, what'd you think of my response to skarlet tele? if you d4 can she still anti air an instant crossup jp into b2,f2? i feel like that would not only force her into a block situation, but net you 12-15 including chip and a chunk of meter while leaving you at 0. though i could see why this would be bad because being 0 with skarlet at point blank you might as well be negative, but if you can jump/poke out or roll a whiff then i think it's worth it
I haven't done it before to offer an informed opinion..but basically she's at -14 already so doing the down 4 puts her at -12, so you're losing 2 frames by doing this particular described set up to her.

I've never tested it on high level Skarlet to comment on the aforementioned set up in the positive or negative, I do my combo, throw or pressure set ups I mentioned on Page 1 to her only. I prefer damage against her though.

It's -14, techniqually you could just cross up after block since you're at +14 instead of doing down 4 to get +12.
true, but this is where i start to disagree with frame data. the hitstun affects button inputs more than the blackstun from a blocked tele because hitstun is dictated by YOUR timing on hit. meaning they can feel anything from -24 (if you input d4 instantly on block) to -26 (if you input on the last free frame of your +14) or more if you input later and she tries to attack. the player then feels this and has to do something on reaction when they're already behind. i think these mindgames are more important than maximizing raw frame advantage, especially with stryker because of your limited punishment options. if you're punishing for 11-12 regularly you're not in a winning situation because tele is 12 damage on hit and does like 2 chip. plus throws can be teched netting you a measly 2-5%. if you dont play mindgames i dont think there's an incentive for a skarlet not to tele

Espio

Kokomo
true, but this is where i start to disagree with frame data. the hitstun affects button inputs more than the blackstun from a blocked tele because hitstun is dictated by YOUR timing on hit. meaning they can feel anything from -24 (if you input d4 instantly on block) to -26 (if you input on the last free frame of your +14) or more if you input later and she tries to attack. the player then feels this and has to do something on reaction when they're already behind. i think these mindgames are more important than maximizing raw frame advantage, especially with stryker because of your limited punishment options. if you're punishing for 11-12 regularly you're not in a winning situation because tele is 12 damage on hit and does like 2 chip. plus throws can be teched netting you a measly 2-5%. if you dont play mindgames i dont think there's an incentive for a skarlet not to tele
I don't even understand how that works I thought the frame data reset itself (leaving you at +12) not +26, I am so confused lol.

I mostly punish with 1,1, roll toss(15%) or 1,1, gun shot(11%) to pressure. I mentioned throw as a possible option to punish as useful info for the curious.

Stryker cannot punish teleport for big damage with or without the block string. If you do down 4 into jump in punch/block string, you're still getting less damage than the combo punishes I mentioned as Stryker has no combo that does 11-15% chip on block. I don't understand how 2% versus 11-15% isn't a winning situation. It's not an ideal winning situation as some characters can get 30-40% but it's not a losing one by any means.

I don't even understand how that works I thought the frame data reset itself (leaving you at +12) not +26, I am so confused lol.

I mostly punish with 1,1, roll toss(15%) or 1,1, gun shot(11%) to pressure. I mentioned throw as a possible option to punish as useful info for the curious.

Stryker cannot punish teleport for big damage with or without the block string. If you do down 4 into jump in punch/block string, you're still getting less damage than the combo punishes I mentioned as Stryker has no combo that does 11-15% chip on block. I don't understand how 2% versus 11-15% isn't a winning situation. It's not an ideal winning situation as some characters can get 30-40% but it's not a losing one by any means.
right, so the d4 hits after 12 frames leaving you +12. that gets added to the 12 that it takes to do the attack with a 0 frame block release and d4 input makes 24. +26 would be if your input takes 2 frames. hence about half a second where they are jailed for teleporting. i think that has as much or more of an effect than damage

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Wait did I miss something? It's an option to poke out of pressure, that was the main reason to mention it. Based on looking at the frame data, it sucks no worse than the majority of the cast's down 1 in terms of disadvantage on block and hit.

Down 3 is safer, but again, the video is just listing options to get out of pressure, people should be aware of all their options, ya know?
The sad thing is I just found out about the D1 frame on hit and on block:oops:

No wonder i couldnt link standing 4 after it like I can do with D3 and D4 smh. I've been throwing this thing out like no other:eek:

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
Yeah it's slow/cumbersome, full combo punishable, and can't go into anything in terms of big damage. That string is so bleh lol. Standing 2 by itself is tight though <3.

Part 3 of the video guide explains punishes for Mileena's ball roll(which also applies to Smoke/Scorpion teleports). To make them respect your defense and damage, you have to punish for bigger damage than what you get off of 2,3,2.

If you want good punishes use the back 1,2,2 or back 2, forward 2 starters.

Good combo ideas: Back 1,2,2, neutral jump punch, 2, gun shot, 1,2 roll toss 35 or 36%.

Back 2, forward 2, 1,2, gun shot, 1,2 roll toss for 37%.

If you're not comfortable with timing these specific ones yet try 1,2, gun shot, 1,2 roll toss for 30%.

If you want them closer end in baton sweep, but you'll be sacrificing a couple percent in terms of damage.

For Skarlet's teleport, it's almost as negative as Reptile's dash, so your punishment options are a throw for 12%, 1,2 for pressure and 9%, 1,1 roll toss for 15%, 1,1 gun shot to keep them standing and apply more pressure for 11%.
Actually, I've mastered all of Stryker's Bnb's except for the b3,2, dash, 1,1 gun, d4, roll (I usually put a 3 instead of d4 roll). I usually punish with 43% with JIP B1,2,2 njp, 3, ex gun, 1,2, roll if I have 3 bars or just stick to the 37% with B1,2,2, njp, 2, gun shot, 1,2 roll toss. The 1,1 gun pressure will be something i'll practice though since I haven't incorporated it that much in my game. What i'd like to see are ideas in order to extend damage after the 3 reset say if you did the b2, f2, dash, 1,2, gun, 3. Maybe go for a 2, EX baton sweep reset afterwards?? I just need some new ideas :D

Espio

Kokomo
Actually, I've mastered all of Stryker's Bnb's except for the b3,2, dash, 1,1 gun, d4, roll (I usually put a 3 instead of d4 roll). I usually punish with 43% with JIP B1,2,2 njp, 3, ex gun, 1,2, roll if I have 3 bars or just stick to the 37% with B1,2,2, njp, 2, gun shot, 1,2 roll toss. The 1,1 gun pressure will be something i'll practice though since I haven't incorporated it that much in my game. What i'd like to see are ideas in order to extend damage after the 3 reset say if you did the b2, f2, dash, 1,2, gun, 3. Maybe go for a 2, EX baton sweep reset afterwards?? I just need some new ideas :D
I wasn't sure since you said you punish their attacks with 2,3,2, that's a huge damage loss.

The 3 bars leaves you without meter, which is kind of risky in my opinion, the extra 3-4% isn't much unless it would win the round, it might not be the best idea, just from my perspective.

That's a good idea, standing 2 hits neutral crouch and regular crouch so they can't duck the set up, run with it :).

Chris Thomas

pokerbrat2k7
I wasn't sure since you said you punish their attacks with 2,3,2, that's a huge damage loss.

The 3 bars leaves you without meter, which is kind of risky in my opinion, the extra 3-4% isn't much unless it would win the round, it might not be the best idea, just from my perspective.

That's a good idea, standing 2 hits neutral crouch and regular crouch so they can't duck the set up, run with it :).
Sorry, I don't mean using 3 bars for those combos. I normally don't ever use Stryker's EX moves UNLESS I have 2 bars. I'd rather use it as a breaker most of the time. Basically, if I have only 1 or 2 bars of meter i'll use either b2, f2 dash 12 gun dash 12 roll combo or b122 njp 2 gun 12 roll. Only if I have 3 bars of meter will I punish for 43% combo b1,2,2, njp, 3, EX gun, 1,2, roll (or EX roll for +2%). I probably should manage my meter better to have more armor in matches, but i'm not good with gun cancels yet so unless I use lots of grenades i'm never building meter fast enough.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
Sorry, I don't mean using 3 bars for those combos. I normally don't ever use Stryker's EX moves UNLESS I have 2 bars. I'd rather use it as a breaker most of the time. Basically, if I have only 1 or 2 bars of meter i'll use either b2, f2 dash 12 gun dash 12 roll combo or b122 njp 2 gun 12 roll. Only if I have 3 bars of meter will I punish for 43% combo b1,2,2, njp, 3, EX gun, 1,2, roll (or EX roll for +2%). I probably should manage my meter better to have more armor in matches, but i'm not good with gun cancels yet so unless I use lots of grenades i'm never building meter fast enough.
I say make gun cancel your priority for the next few days. It will definitely help in certain MUs

Espio

Kokomo

When you master gun cancels you'll be zoning people a lot better and mixing them up a lot better as well. Gun canceling can help a lot in making characters like Kung Lao whiff their teleports and allow you to full combo punish them for it as well as it helps for building meter, zoning out opponents and things of that nature.

Gun shot is literally one of Stryker's best tools -1 on block/safe, can lead to big combos off of anti-airs, cancelable into pressure or projectiles and excellent meter build as a few examples.

You have +1 on block gun cancels with 1,2 and down 4 gun cancel as well.

For now, practice gun cancels in practice mode and arcade ladder till you get comfortable doing it, then begin incorporating it into fights with actual opponents. You'll be building meter way better and making it much more tricky to get in on your character. You can cancel into grenades, jumps, baton sweep, roll toss, dash back to make someone whiff, dash forward into a low poke, gun cancel into throws or block strings.

It really opens the doors to Strykers mind games both from a defensive, zoning perspective to an offensive, pressure game.

You can also pull out you gun to bait Liu Kang and Sindel's low fireballs (any character with a low fireball for that matter) and dash forward into jump in punch combo for 35-40% depending on combo of choice.

PoliceBrutality

Let's go green!!!!
It also help you avoid trade that is not in your favor such as sub-zero's iceball. Like Espio said, you can cancel it into down back 3 (low pokes) to avoid such trades

Rampage254

Ayy Lmao
Last video for the Stryker video guide, its been fun guys :).

Finally! Someone who understands how important stance change-gun cancel is. When I tried to explain this to someone, they usually say "Oh, it's the same as doing a regular dash cancel" smh. I still can't do it consistently, not on pad at least. But I'm trying to use it more after I do b3-gun cancel, cause 9/10 my opponent will just low poke me with a d1 when I try to dash up, but if I'm able to stance change quickly then maybe I can make them whiff it, and I can punish it.

Espio

Kokomo
Finally! Someone who understands how important stance change-gun cancel is. When I tried to explain this to someone, they usually say "Oh, it's the same as doing a regular dash cancel" smh. I still can't do it consistently, not on pad at least. But I'm trying to use it more after I do b3-gun cancel, cause 9/10 my opponent will just low poke me with a d1 when I try to dash up, but if I'm able to stance change quickly then maybe I can make them whiff it, and I can punish it.

lol thanks :). I thought about it and realized this was a topic worth discussing as I had ommitted it from my original three part guide and that was not good life, godlike ;_;.

People probably get confused on it I imagine, which is why they think it's the same...but the difference in recovery after a gun cancel is noticeably improved, I find it funny that Stryker actually makes the stance change button useful lol.

This is one of the only major things I feel Stryker mains (myself included) don't have down.

It's the gateway to making him a stronger character, but it requires a high level of precision to do it accurately and consistently. You can techniqually bait and punish non-teleport moves with it too like Cage's ex shadow kick I think as his ex kick -20 to -29 I think that's probably distance specific, but it's enough to get a 35% range combo.

Perhaps standing 3 or standing 4 as a whiff punish? If the down 1's are blocked, they're -13 on block, so as a follow up at least offline(or in a smooth online environment) you could do standing 4 to punish possibly.

im stealing ur front page design to make my shang thread look better. good work man
Thanks my good gent and I'm glad you like my layout, by all means have it :).

If curious about the bio portion, I got them all from the Nekropolis.

Nice vids dude my mid screen combos off of B2F2 and B32 are little more damageing now. While watching your corner combo vid I didn't see the corner combos I have recently started using so I was wondering if you think they are inpractical. The combos are:
B32, 12, gun shot, 12, 12, low grenade which does 42% without a JIP
B122, NJP, 12, 12, gun shot, 12, low grenade which does 39% without a JIP
B2F2, 12, 12, gun shot, 12, Low grenade which does 39% without a JIP

If they were in the vids and I missed them then sorry for wasting your time.

Espio

Kokomo
I added intro music to the original post to improve presentation <3.

Nice vids dude my mid screen combos off of B2F2 and B32 are little more damageing now. While watching your corner combo vid I didn't see the corner combos I have recently started using so I was wondering if you think they are inpractical. The combos are:
B32, 12, gun shot, 12, 12, low grenade which does 42% without a JIP
B122, NJP, 12, 12, gun shot, 12, low grenade which does 39% without a JIP
B2F2, 12, 12, gun shot, 12, Low grenade which does 39% without a JIP

If they were in the vids and I missed them then sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks, appreciate the support for my video guide :)

That's good you've been elevating your damage output off of these starters, especially back 2 forward 2 as it's his best punish string in terms of damage.

Those combos look great to me actually, I don't see why they'd be impractical. The thing is that my videos don't cover every corner combo possibility as for the sake of time and efficiency and also because there are some good combos like the ones you posted that I was not aware of them. I'd have to test them, but if you can land them consistently, they're practical.

No query is a waste of time either, I'm very happy you took an interest in watching my guide, thanks for watching :).

I added intro music to the original post to improve presentation <3.

Thanks, appreciate the support for my video guide :)

That's good you've been elevating your damage output off of these starters, especially back 2 forward 2 as it's his best punish string in terms of damage.

Those combos look great to me actually, I don't see why they'd be impractical. The thing is that my videos don't cover every corner combo possibility as for the sake of time and efficiency and also because there are some good combos like the ones you posted that I was not aware of them. I'd have to test them, but if you can land them consistently, they're practical.

No query is a waste of time either, I'm very happy you took an interest in watching my guide, thank for watching :).
Thank you for being such a cool dude. I hit the combos about 90% of the time offline. Online I have to move the gun shot to after a second 12 to make sure I don't drop it but that lowers the damage by 1%.

Espio

Kokomo
Okay, so the guide has been updated with links to frame data, combos, meter building, and blockstring/true damage information.

Additional videos will follow by the end of the week, any suggestions, comments, feedback etc. please let me know.

Immortal Kombat

almost moderate success
Yo lol! Just you know....checking up on your stryker for our match. Good thing I did too, I had no idea he had that many tools lol