What's new

Street Fighter X Tekken General Discussion Thread

Past

Noob
Another note in the first vid: When you are pandora, your meter is constantly charging and is not locked at 3 bars like before. Translation:

Pandora is crappier than ever before

Past

Noob
no it won't. You now have to think instead of mashing cr. forward. Launchers are highly punishable

Nobody is going to ban gems until the game gets flushed out after release.

and as far as I understood it, gems don't reward bad play, they only open up different styles. It would change how mirror matches would be played and that in itself is a blessing.
Lol what style involves getting hit by 2 special moves by your opponent? Or not teching throws? Or not knowing how to block or do combos? The only style this opens up is casual noob style.

Lol what style involves getting hit by 2 special moves by your opponent? Or not teching throws? Or not knowing how to block or do combos? The only style this opens up is casual noob style.

did you miss the ones where you have to do certain things? yeah lets leave out other options and judge a system before its even completed and released.

Past

Noob
did you miss the ones where you have to do certain things? yeah lets leave out other options and judge a system before its even completed and released.
I did not miss anything. A simple combo can activate some of these gems (as shown by the trailer). I understand that it is not final but conceptually speaking, its not looking good. The gem system covers your inability to master certain fundamentals instead of giving your character more options in battle. This encourages people to not learn the basics. Do you really need the game to block and tech throws for you? I'm not throwing the game away, not when they have teased characters like Juri and Dragonov. Maybe everyone's opinion will change when they come out with new gems that actually enhances gameplay.

I did not miss anything. A simple combo can activate some of these gems (as shown by the trailer). I understand that it is not final but conceptually speaking, its not looking good. The gem system covers your inability to master certain fundamentals instead of giving your character more options in battle. This encourages people to not learn the basics. Do you really need the game to block and tech throws for you? I'm not throwing the game away, not when they have teased characters like Juri and Dragonov. Maybe everyone's opinion will change when they come out with new gems that actually enhances gameplay.
one of them (i think autoblock) cost meter. Meter is vital since its one of the only ways to safely tag in your partner. If you use the autoblock gem then its obvious that you're going for "risky" setups styles. Its not like you can rely on it the whole game since you won't have the meter for it. I'm sure it won't be as bad as people make it seem after its been fleshed out.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/10/14/sfxt-gem-system-is-truly-outrageous.html

Past

Noob
one of them (i think autoblock) cost meter. Meter is vital since its one of the only ways to safely tag in your partner. If you use the autoblock gem then its obvious that you're going for "risky" setups styles. Its not like you can rely on it the whole game since you won't have the meter for it. I'm sure it won't be as bad as people make it seem after its been fleshed out.

http://iplaywinner.com/news/2011/10/14/sfxt-gem-system-is-truly-outrageous.html
You are not setting anything up here. This allows bad players look pro and block any mixup by holding back+down and letting the game block overheads/ ambiguous cross-ups for them. These gems in particular, do not require thought or strategy. Only someone who cannot block would want to use it. What do you call a player who doesn't know how to block? Certainly not one who has mastered the basics of 2D fighting.

Ayx

Omnipresent
Hasn't anyone thought that this isn't a bad move after all? The whole Gem system I mean. (I'm sure you could unlock Gems by completing challenges or something along those lines. If you have to pay for Gems? Then they're most probably going to be banned in tournaments anyways since players are forced to pay in order to adapt to the gamestyle.)

I love the Gem system personally, I think it adds more depth to the game. Pandora is (for now) seen as eye candy of how much risk it has, could it have enough reward? The more options the more complex the games get for competitive players, meaning the game will evolve more and more.

I'm on the fence if to get MVC3 or This one since I haven't played (in a non casual way) a Capcom fighter. I'm really looking forward to Skullgirls as my fighting game though, MK is just losing steam on me.

Past

Noob
More info on the gem system

http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2011/oct/17/no-option-disable-gems-sfxt-system-designed-veterans/

They scared me for a little bit by showing those garbage gems at NYCC. Why didn't they say this in the first place? Are they trying to kill their game before it comes out? looks like there is still hope for this game, even at this stage.

Also the leaker lupinko has leaked the following:
"Deconfirmed by Lupinko: Karin, Lee, Mika, and Anna.
Confirmed-refered by Lupinko: Elena, Bison, Christie, Jack and Bryan."

OZombiePenguinO

Garbage, bro
I'd be okay with gems if there was just a set of them that you start with, no questions asked. Lets say, 20 or so gems that you have access to right away, and no more. Then it'd make sense for tournament play

Past

Noob
Fire Ono

From SRK

SRK is going berserk over the gem system

And just when you thought that the hype for this game couldn't get any lower, wait till you read this:

No announcements until DECEMBER
Next playable build in JANUARY

Fire Ono

From SRK

SRK is going berserk over the gem system

And just when you thought that the hype for this game couldn't get any lower, wait till you read this:

No announcements until DECEMBER
Next playable build in JANUARY
which is fine. Games don't been to show off a playable build every month. I rather they soak in all the criticism, test it out, and polish it up before they let the public see it.

Either way SFxT will probably be a 1) decent competitive game if they do it right or 2) a fun casual game.

TBH I was looking forward to a competitive sfxt so I could play julia and xiaoyu, o well I guess TTT2 could be my saving grace if capcom drops the ball entirely

Alice

Haaave you met Sektor?
Capcom made many fighting games, and I trust in that they have something good in mind.
Honestly I see no problem with the gems, since as we all differ we may use each character in a different way, so it's not only
for noobs to cover their weaknesses, but for better players to take an advantage at what they are good at, it is pretty smart,
and I like the idea that even mirror matches could be different. It really gives a tactical approach to a game and I miss that nowadays.
Just look at mvc3 there you had to make a good team, and you had to learn different playstyles and use a tactic in your match, you couldn't just
go all out and bam-bam-bam. I had a Phoenix team so I can relate with that Pandora thing, and looking at footage it won't be a come back,
considering that you can be just blocked all over and over, so you have to find an opening very fast, and you just have too short time, to kill
off an entire team...Not like Phoenix in mvc3 lololol, ohh I loved those hatemails. :D

Sasuga

Noob
I'm picking this game up no matter what.

Have they revealed prices for the DLC gem packs? I think the whole idea behind them is cool but I hope there will be gems that come with the game rather than having to buy all of them.

Past

Noob
My reaction:

Well no more speculating about gems from here. Now we know what the system is all about. Frankly, I'm disappointed. All of the gem theory fighting that Seth proclaimed doesn't seem to be there. The tagline "Is my Ryu different from your Ryu?" also does not apply here, because as long as both characters have the same options and moves, they are still the same character.

I'm not sure if fighting game community should be relieved or upset right now.

Flagg

Noob
This could be awesome if it didn't have the retarded Gem system. The game so far seems to be geared towards noobs and scrubs so much, which is a shame, because elements of skill can be emloyed in this game. For instance, Kazuya has his Wavedash from Tekken in this:

Past

Noob
This could be awesome if it didn't have the retarded Gem system. The game so far seems to be geared towards noobs and scrubs so much, which is a shame, because elements of skill can be emloyed in this game. For instance, Kazuya has his Wavedash from Tekken in this:

That was pretty broke. As far as being geared towards noobs and scrubs, that will have no effect on sales or tournament worth. Haven't we learned anything from MVC3?
This is another example of Capcom putting the fighting game community in its place.

not all fighting games need to be tournament competitive to be fun.

Best Case scenario (tourney wise)
1) gems work, community supports it and there is an easy way to manage them in tourney

Worst Case scenario
2) gems suck/banned, community doesn't support it and people only play this game for fun

I want everything to work, but at the bare minimum I just want this game to be fun. There are plenty other games to choose from that are meant to be competitive, therefore I don't really see it a requirement that SFxT to be competitive.

They had 4 set-ups for this game at SCR. Hardly anyone was playing. There was never a line for any of the set-ups. Hwaorang seems hella good.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Oh man, I was actually right about the gems being exclusive to different retailers, shit.

Anyway, I also have one more prediction, the game will have a online pass, similar to MK, and like every other video game out right now, fuck THQ for starting that bullshit.

This game has been a rollercoaster ride of hype and disappointment for me, I'm going to buy it either way, even with all the bullshit, the game is chuck full of insanity that it will at least be fun.

~NAKM~

Tekken, SF4: AE, BB: CP, and Persona 4: Arena
NAMCO and Capcom should've never crossed paths. . . . .ever.

Past

Noob
not all fighting games need to be tournament competitive to be fun.

Best Case scenario (tourney wise)
1) gems work, community supports it and there is an easy way to manage them in tourney

Worst Case scenario
2) gems suck/banned, community doesn't support it and people only play this game for fun

I want everything to work, but at the bare minimum I just want this game to be fun. There are plenty other games to choose from that are meant to be competitive, therefore I don't really see it a requirement that SFxT to be competitive.
The problem is that due to the way the FGC has handled Capcom games (marvel), gameplay is a moot point. Competitiveness is determined by the community, not by Capcom and as long as SFxT has Capcom's name on it, it will be a major success. It does not matter how shitty the game is. The FGC will not say no to Capcom period.