What's new

SSFIV Tier Discussion

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I'm not sure how much I'll be able to even contribute to this, but I would like to get a tier discussion going. I am curious to where Juri places on the list...

**Mods, feel free to edit this post**

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Thanks to Rob I'm feeling ALOT more comfortable with her moves... is her dive kick her only in-air move?

Her projectiles are also weird... if you're too close to your opponent only the kick connects while the projectile misses.

Dark_Rob

Noob
Thanks to Rob I'm feeling ALOT more comfortable with her moves... is her dive kick her only in-air move?

Her projectiles are also weird... if you're too close to your opponent only the kick connects while the projectile misses.
Dive kick is her only in air special move yes, however you can execute an instant air dive kick from the ground by doing QCB,UB,K(Quarter circle back,up back,quick pause, kick) This takes a little practice to get the timing right, but its well worth the effort.
Also if your opponent is close to you when you execute the fuhajin(fireball kick) you can hold the fireball part by holding the kick button down,there by executing only the kick portion of the move. You can then let the fireball go whenever you feel like it by releasing the kick button.

As far as her tier goes I see her being mid to high mid tier.Though shes a solid character with lots of mixups and mind games, alot of her moves are just to unsafe to really let her in the high tier club. Also she doesnt do to well when shes the one being pressured. Juri likes to put on the pressure, not take it. In addition she doesnt have a good "get off me" move like the high tiers do(Shoryuken,tiger uppercut,EX messiah etc etc.). Contrary to what the scrubs are saying Pinwheel and EX pinwheel do not have instant startup and neither are they safe on block. Dont get me wrong, I love her, and while I think shes more than capable of handling herself against the whole roster, she does have her weakness. And they are weakness enough to keep her out of the top tier club.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
I'm pretty sure that Akuma is the new #1, top dog, S-tier character. He is unchanged besides the fact that his infinite is gone, and has an ultra that he can combo into that doesn't fill his opponent's meters.

Dhalsim is going to be up there too.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Cody would be top tier if he had a reversal. The only thing on wake-up that you can do is bad spray, which once people figure out how to beat it, it will be useless. Either that or block. Lack of reversal puts him at bad match-ups with rushdown characters like Rufus.

Though, he has gdlk anti-air options. Cody should be played by keeping you opponent out, which he can do well.

oBryant

Noob
I'm pretty sure that Akuma is the new #1, top dog, S-tier character. He is unchanged besides the fact that his infinite is gone, and has an ultra that he can combo into that doesn't fill his opponent's meters.

Dhalsim is going to be up there too.
Cody would be top tier if he had a reversal. The only thing on wake-up that you can do is bad spray, which once people figure out how to beat it, it will be useless. Either that or block. Lack of reversal puts him at bad match-ups with rushdown characters like Rufus.

Though, he has gdlk anti-air options. Cody should be played by keeping you opponent out, which he can do well.

The guy I was talking about. Will Ruiz. He has a crazy dhalsim and a very good el fuerte. He can almost do the whole RSF combo with fuerte. I think his record is like 7-8 loops or so. He also plays rog and ryu very well also.

oBryant

Noob
Whats your opinion guys on Guy? He has some good mixups and doesen't feel weak at all.
Right now. since I didn't play nor like the alpha series. to me, guy is a hard matchup. I can't jump and I can't throw firebals from mid screen. so I have to stay far as hell or really close. For me IMO the sgat vs guy matchup is 7-5 on guy.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Right now. since I didn't play nor like the alpha series. to me, guy is a hard matchup. I can't jump and I can't throw firebals from mid screen. so I have to stay far as hell or really close. For me IMO the sgat vs guy matchup is 7-5 on guy.
I assume you mean 7-3?

Here's a little try at a tier list for me, I guarantee it's like 90% wrong, just initial impressions.

S
Akuma

A
Rufus
Sagat
Ryu
Dhalsim
Ibuki
Balrog
Cody

B
T. Hawk
C. Viper
Abel
Cammy
Rose
Juri
Bison
Blanka
Guile
Chun Li
Dudley
Guy

C
Seth
Gen(We still haven't found whats new and good about him)
Fei Long
Gouken
Sakura
Dan(He might be higher.)
E. Honda
Ken
Vega
Zangief

D
El Fuerte
Makoto

Hakan, Adon, and Deejay are still unknown to me. I forsee them all being viable though.

Juggs

Lose without excuses
Lead Moderator
Premium Supporter
Still way too early for a list IMO. Maybe we should just post our main characters best and worse match-ups for right now?

From my experience, Cody owns Gief, Hawk and Adon. I assume it's 6:4 or 7:3 for all three.

HK Ruffian is your best tool against Gief and Hawk, also Zonk. Zonk beats Hawks air dive (IIRC) and Giefs green glove. Against Adon, Zonk owns the HK Dive kick, so does b+mp.

Cody is hard to get in on, and these three can't get in in my experience. Though, he lacks a good reliable reversal, so characters like Rufus are his bad match-ups. Once you get in on Cody, if you keep up the pressure it will be hard for him to do anything.