What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya Patch update Discussion Thread

Dedlock

Noob
Cant believe this everything that we listed has happened! except for the demo buffs but base Sonya is more complete now!

• Sonya - adjusted several hitboxes to hit more consistently
  • Sonya – added 5 more recovery frames on Air Drop when missed
  • Sonya - Energy Blast is a mid block and -5 on block (up from -15)
  • Sonya - increased damage of Flying Kick (enhanced) by 4
  • Sonya - increased damage of Leg Slam by 5
  • Sonya (Covert Ops) - Garrote Parry is no longer throw immune
  • Sonya (Demolition) - increased cancel advantage on Boomer combo (FP, FP, BP)
  • Sonya (Demolition) - adjusted the damage & hit stun of the grenade attacks
I'm so happy, I got my beefed up leg slam, and the recent discussion we had of a mid energy blast just happened. oh my!

but with the good comes the bad Air Drop nerfed on miss (similar to Jin) and Garrote Parry to an extent (but not really), the buffs though I feel make up for these.

i havent downloaded the patch yet but can't wait.

skater11

The saltiest
Well I seen the dive kick nerf coming from a mile away.

"adjusted several hitboxes to hit more consistently"

-I hope that means they fixed her b332.

Shit, we have a safe EX projectile on block? That's pretty nice lol. I'm just glad it's a mid:)

"Garrote Parry is no longer throwimmune"

- Can someone clarify this for me? Does this mean we can't parry throws/command grabs anymore?

Last edited:

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Well I seen the dive kick nerf coming from a mile away.

"adjusted several hitboxes to hit more consistently"

-I hope that means they fixed her b332.

Shit, we have a safe EX projectile on block? That's pretty nice lol. I'm just glad it's a mid:)

"Garrote Parry is no longer throwimmune"

- Can someone clarify this for me? Does this mean we can't parry throws/command grabs anymore?
Yeah thats wat it sounds like =[...Oooo well...looks like we are going to be using it inbetween strings now

Orbit Aquary

Want a balloon?
Honestly, only thing I'm happy about is the energy ring buff, so unexpected. The EX arc kick and leg grab buff is alright. The dive kick nerf is unfortunate but realistic. But B332 still whiffs... the parry nerf was completely unnecessary because it was never a problem. I just really wanted them to do something about demolition. It's such a bad variation and it remains that way. I'm extremely happy they didn't nerf special forces or her X-ray though :D

EDIT: Alright, after some testing. Demolition received a great buff. But only for damage. Still needs some work in other areas IMO.

Last edited:

Dedlock

Noob
Parry nerf is a non issue to me, I've never to date even used it against a throw, the drop kick will affect me somewhat but I'd gladly trade a few recovery frames for damaging ex moves that'll put more variety in my juggles and or give her better pressure tactics, F+4 into ex leg grab is going to hurt now.

B3,3,2 not being guaranteed is something I've worked around and if they didn't patch it, then they probably wanted it to be this way.

Also she's been given a new fatality! Which means I don't have to see that annoying drone anymore.

Cant believe this everything that we listed has happened! except for the demo buffs but base Sonya is more complete now!

• Sonya - adjusted several hitboxes to hit more consistently
  • Sonya – added 5 more recovery frames on Air Drop when missed
  • Sonya - Energy Blast is a mid block and -5 on block (up from -15)
  • Sonya - increased damage of Flying Kick (enhanced) by 4
  • Sonya - increased damage of Leg Slam by 5
  • Sonya (Covert Ops) - Garrote Parry is no longer throw immune
  • Sonya (Demolition) - increased cancel advantage on Boomer combo (FP, FP, BP)
  • Sonya (Demolition) - adjusted the damage & hit stun of the grenade attacks
I'm so happy, I got my beefed up leg slam, and the recent discussion we had of a mid energy blast just happened. oh my!

but with the good comes the bad Air Drop nerfed on miss (similar to Jin) and Garrote Parry to an extent (but not really), the buffs though I feel make up for these.

i havent downloaded the patch yet but can't wait.

They did buff Demo....It's possibly her best stance now, the execution is higher than Covert ops but not too bad. She can get 48% meterless in the corner using dive kick and 3 grenades (50% if you really want the extra 2% with leg slam) , 43% with b33 starter meterless and 3 grenades, and 40% from a b14 starter meterless (both of which end in drone drop setups). Mid screen she's now able to get 41% meterless from a divekick midscreen, 37% from b33 starter, and 33% from (both of which end in drone drop setups).

The buff that was made was the increased hitstun, the stun grenades keep your opponent airborne long enough for you to actually convert a lot more combos now than the prepatch grenades. All in all the buffs were great, we now have a safe option in Energy blast to bail out of unsafe strings for 1 meter now and we have a another usable variation that looks really strong.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
Demo still has reload issues but her really high meterless damage along with ex ring makes up for it somewhat

Demo still has reload issues but her really high meterless damage along with ex ring makes up for it somewhat
If you're out of grenades and haven't been using meter (You really don't need meter with her...) get your opponent into w/e string that's cancelable, ex drone drop, throw, and your opponent eats 25% ( if you time it right) and you're now full screen. (This doesn't work in the corner.)

She will probably get nerfed, her potential for pressure is through the ceiling at the moment.

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
If you're out of grenades and haven't been using meter (You really don't need meter with her...) get your opponent into w/e string that's cancelable, ex drone drop, throw, and your opponent eats 25% ( if you time it right) and you're now full screen. (This doesn't work in the corner.)

She will probably get nerfed, her potential for pressure is through the ceiling at the moment.
You still don't get reload so I don't get it. Although I think ex ring really helps her reload mid screen if you force them to block

so did her MB projectile get buffed or the regular one? btw, to people saying demolition is bad: i was messing around with grenade shenanigans and she seemed pretty ridiculous.

You still don't get reload so I don't get it. Although I think ex ring really helps her reload mid screen if you force them to block
You'll be able to reload from fullscreen safely because your opponent will be knocked down, and as long as you're wary of your grenade count ending with f4, dd1, mid screen will allow you to safely reload.

Last edited:

MsMiharo

Kuff Bano
You'll be able to reload from fullscreen safely because your opponent will be knocked down, and as long as you're wary of your grenade count ending with f4, dd1, mid screen will allow you to safely reload.

Might still be doable from 2134 but I can't test today. I suspect 21u3 might be the better ended though. Distance and damage since you can probably do ex ring and get a free ish reload