What's new

Sonya is a top 3 character

Espio

Kokomo
Does she not beat Jax, Kitana, Kung Lao, Mileena, and Raiden 6:4? All of these characters are considered top 10.
Don't most people consider Sonya and Kitana 5-5? I don't know the other matches well enough to make an informed opinion, but my question still remains, who are the 19 people Sonya destroys? I'd say she goes even with most of the top characters like Liu Kang, JC, Kitana, etc.

If I was to hazard a guess, she doesn't destroy Jax or Kitana among some others mentioned , she might beat them, but she doesn't destroy them as some have suggested, and I really don't understand how Sonya v.s. Kung Lao is a blow out for Sonya either, I've never had that explained to me. It's not like Kung Lao can't compete with Sonya's speed or can't zone with her or pressure her effectively, that match up seems like 5-5 instead of 6-4.

There's no doubt Sonya is really, really good, but destroying 19 characters on the roster? I'm not trying to be annoying, I would just like explanations for why she destroys these characters, who these characters are, and logical explanations of such.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Don't most people consider Sonya and Kitana 5-5? I don't know the other matches well enough to make an informed opinion, but my question still remains, who are the 19 people Sonya destroys? I'd say she goes even with most of the top characters like Liu Kang, JC, Kitana, etc.

If I was to hazard a guess, she doesn't destroy Jax or Kitana among some others mentioned , she might beat them, but she doesn't destroy them as some have suggested, and I really don't understand how Sonya v.s. Kung Lao is a blow out for Sonya either, I've never had that explained to me. It's not like Kung Lao can't compete with Sonya's speed or can't zone with her or pressure her effectively, that match up seems like 5-5 instead of 6-4.

There's no doubt Sonya is really, really good, but destroying 19 characters on the roster? I'm not trying to be annoying, I would just like explanations for why she destroys these characters, who these characters are, and logical explanations of such.
Can we get Death and A F0xy Grampa to explain some of these match ups?

Damn! I just got blown up by... someone...
except i just watched ur match and i think ur the best player on egp, stick with freddy keep working on the matchups and keep exploring that untapped potential in the pressure game, nice setups. take his upclose game to the next level (try looping the nms stuff see how nasty he can really be up close)... u were on point with ur aa , werent jumping like a re-re and had some real creative stuff, be abusive with that shit i like the 3 move full screen frame trap.... could u try looping the sweet dreams with that?? just suggestions ideas go wild.... makes me want to give freddy a day or 2

-edit my god man so many ideas i mean when ur frame trapping them full screen cant u just ex tele for pressure god i wanna play freddy so bad now

The stages are laughably small in this game, characters can machine gun-dash and reach threatening space in seconds. Projectiles do garbage chip and meter gain (the same as single jabs and hits in strings). If your character does not have any of the following:

Good footsies
Armor and solid defense
Reliable Offense

Then it's going to be extremely hard to win at high level against characters that do.
^ That. Its the reason I fell back in love with cage, besides a few mismatches and his rather stubby limbs, he is still an effective character. FR really opened my eyes to the footsie aspect of the game, which being still rather new, I thought was almost non existent until then and zoning dominated.

Death

Noob
IMO i think Sonya beats 18 characters. Goes even with 9 of them and loses to 3. I have no idea how someone says she goes even with Kenshi/Freddy. I get everyone is saying just dash block your way in. Its easier said than done. Yeah If im fighting Kitana, Noob, Mileena and every character I can do that. But characters like freddy and kenshi are above every1 else when it comes to zoning. They can win MUs of zoning alone. How many of the characters did I list has 3 armored moves. Safe at that and frame traps from full screen. I'm sorry but no High level Sonya player is going even vs Pig/Blackula/Teef offline using Sonya.

When someone says oh just have good spacing and footsies and youll be fine. Thats dumb. The same can be said about Kenshi/Freddy. One shoulder charge or ground spike and their going full screen and have to go through the gauntlet again. And by the time they get close Kenshi and freddy will have so much meter cuz their chipping them to death.

Its just my opinion, but I'll never believe she goes even with Kenshi or Freddy. Unless I see a sonya player beating a high level kenshi player OFFLINE then Ill believe it.

CURBOLICOUS

Cage ban wagon?
IMO i think Sonya beats 18 characters. Goes even with 9 of them and loses to 3. I have no idea how someone says she goes even with Kenshi/Freddy. I get everyone is saying just dash block your way in. Its easier said than done. Yeah If im fighting Kitana, Noob, Mileena and every character I can do that. But characters like freddy and kenshi are above every1 else when it comes to zoning. They can win MUs of zoning alone. How many of the characters did I list has 3 armored moves. Safe at that and frame traps from full screen. I'm sorry but no High level Sonya player is going even vs Pig/Blackula/Teef offline using Sonya.

When someone says oh just have good spacing and footsies and youll be fine. Thats dumb. The same can be said about Kenshi/Freddy. One shoulder charge or ground spike and their going full screen and have to go through the gauntlet again. And by the time they get close Kenshi and freddy will have so much meter cuz their chipping them to death.

Its just my opinion, but I'll never believe she goes even with Kenshi or Freddy. Unless I see a sonya player beating a high level kenshi player OFFLINE then Ill believe it.
Clint the beast beat pig to send him to losers at one ATL tournament.

Death

Noob
The MU is 4-6 not 0-10. Of course a sonya player can beat a freddy and kenshi in tournament. It doesnt mean the MU is even. It just means the Sonya player got the better of them that day. I was talking about running casuals for a long period of time vs a high level kenshi and i seriously doubt the score will be even or even close. All offline of course.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
KingHippo, Kenshi doesn't even have a strong full screen keep away game. Freddy and Noob present more difficulties for Sonya.
Telefury has poor tracking while the overhead slashes are slow. Kenshi's zoning game revolves around the spirit charge at mid range. Sonya can penetrate his defense if you fight patiently and make good reads. I think she is better off vs Kenshi than Kitana, and Mr. Mileena's Kitana is doing well vs Pig's Kenshi. I can only imagine what he would do with a character that has armor and great offense.
As I've said in some prior posts Sonya vs. Kenshi is 5-5. You are correct about Kenshi's zoning game and there is more risk fighting Sonya than the risk with Kitana. Kitana has slow normals, Sonya has fast normals and armor to get in and lock Kenshi down, Sonya has insane footsies and spacing. It takes the right reads in this match up, if either one of them makes an error the mistake will cost them damage. Still, this match up needs to be performed offline to make an 'official' figure. as there is a strong debate between 4-6 and 5-5, I'm standing by 5-5. pig of the hut/Blackula against F0xy Grampa/CURBOLICOUS would be the best determination factor for this match up, offline that is. No offense to RM Death, he picked up Sonya before New Year's as he said, that's not enough time to develop a character inside out like Sonya entirely which F0xy and Curbo have done months prior.

Death

Noob
As I've said in some prior posts Sonya vs. Kenshi is 5-5. You are correct about Kenshi's zoning game and there is more risk fighting Sonya than the risk with Kitana. Kitana has slow normals, Sonya has fast normals and armor to get in and lock Kenshi down, Sonya has insane footsies and spacing. It takes the right reads in this match up, if either one of them makes an error the mistake will cost them damage. Still, this match up needs to be performed offline to make an 'official' figure. as there is a strong debate between 4-6 and 5-5, I'm standing by 5-5. pig of the hut/Blackula against F0xy Grampa/CURBOLICOUS would be the best determination factor for this match up, offline that is. No offense to RM Death, he picked up Sonya before New Year's as he said, that's not enough time to develop a character inside out like Sonya entirely which F0xy and Curbo have done months prior.

lol @ you putting Curbo in there when he never even played offline before. Foxy doesnt even main Sonya either. What are you talking about when you say your remaining 5-5. Your an online player your just going by what other people say. You have no clue how the MU is. At least name 2 of the best Sonyas out there before someone who doesnt main him and someone who never played offline. RIU48/Morty is who you should put smh

*leaving this thread after reading this dumbness*

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I've been trying to tell people this for months. I have always thought Sonya was in the top 3 or at least definitely in the top 5 ever since only a couple months after the games release.

i feel another "Jax" moment going on, hopefully it doesn't take 5 months to for people to figure out a character this time

there is almost no reason to ever block the second hit of MS-F1, D4 MS links can be easily interrupted if D4 is blocked. cartwheel gets blown up on read by walking back or NJPs. Dive kicks are fully punishable (please spam them). she has no safe momentum move. Average projectile. high hitting strings/slow mid hitters. Cartwheel is -3 on block. Shitty D3. average damage outside Dive kicks and B2. Shitty X-ray (like that matters anyway though). Totally predictable playstyle, not much room for innovation.

kinda rambling here but whatever, Sonya is getting over hyped just like every other "character of the month" BS thats been going on

PS: SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE
Dude, trust. Sonya is a beast, alot better than what your trying to say right here ^^^. Almost all her strings are safe, and can be linked into MS f1 or 1+3. Like everytime she touches you is a mixup

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
lol @ you putting Curbo in there when he never even played offline before. Foxy doesnt even main Sonya either. What are you talking about when you say your remaining 5-5. Your an online player your just going by what other people say. You have no clue how the MU is. At least name 2 of the best Sonyas out there before someone who doesnt main him and someone who never played offline. RIU48/Morty is who you should put smh

*leaving this thread after reading this dumbness*
F0xy Grampa main Cage and Sonya both equally.

Riu48/Morty are both terrific Sonya players but I have my reasons to place F0xy higher (Sonya of the world)

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
I've been trying to tell people this for months. I have always thought Sonya was in the top 3 or at least definitely in the top 5 ever since only a couple months after the games release.

Dude, trust. Sonya is a beast, alot better than what your trying to say right here ^^^. Almost all her strings are safe, and can be linked into MS f1 or 1+3. Like everytime she touches you is a mixup
KING, your Sonya was the first one that blew me away online and that was back last June. Sonya was so amazing the way you played her that I picked her up =) She's so hard to play though, thanks for being the inspiration!

Death

Noob
Yeah foxy is awesome but hes known more for Cage. Putting Curbo in their is an insult to the other sonya players who actually go offline. How can you place an online player above them. By your logic whats the point of even going to tournies if you can just get beast online then get labelled as one of the best...I swear last response in this thread.

M2Dave is right Sonya is top 3 but I dont think shes 5-5 with kenshi. Freddy who knows. Never played that MU offline.

AK Vip3r

Ghost of Vip3r

Clints sonya is something else, He runs even with my freddy regularly, and those are our dedicated mains.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
The second hit of MS f+1 knocks down and does 7% of damage. It is probably not worth it to get knocked down.

By the way, GamerBlake90, d+4 xx MS f+1 is definitely not interruptable on block at any time. I tried mashing Kung Lao's X-Ray several times with no success.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
The second hit of MS f+1 knocks down and does 7% of damage. It is probably not worth it to get knocked down.

By the way, GamerBlake90, d+4 xx MS f+1 is definitely not interruptable on block at any time. I tried mashing Kung Lao's X-Ray several times with no success.
Morty already corrected me on that, so never mind what I said. I don't think it was necessary to bring the comment into this thread...