What's new

Guide Sonya Guide - By MortySeinfeld

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
It does. It can even be less than on the ground when your opponent is very low in the air.
So assuming this is true, common resets into military stance f1 may be able to be armored. ms f1 takes 25 frames and if cancel advantage is less than 24 frames...armor away is what you are saying right? maybe even a poke or a spin from lao?

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Isn't a better 114 combo this? 114~MS, b2, b21~cartwheel, dash, 112~MS? Higher damage and easier to time the 112.

Justice

Noob
I don't understand how MS2 is useful for getting in on Ia-spam. If the spam is done correctly, won't it still hit her in the face as she Shoulder Bumps?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
I don't understand how MS2 is useful for getting in on Ia-spam. If the spam is done correctly, won't it still hit her in the face as she Shoulder Bumps?
I think you just have to time it kinda as a way to work in since it covers a lot of the screen. I don't think it goes under instant air spam.

RiBBz22

@sonya players, is there a frame window you have to hit so D4 MS tackle will hit if you d4 at close range. Sometimes the tackle works and sometimes it doesn't from this range. I only have success if I hit tackle instantly after the cancel to MS. A F0xy Grampa MortySeinfeld GamerBlake90 Death

@sonya players, is there a frame window you have to hit so D4 MS tackle will hit if you d4 at close range. Sometimes the tackle works and sometimes it doesn't from this range. I only have success if I hit tackle instantly after the cancel to MS. A F0xy Grampa MortySeinfeld GamerBlake90 Death
It's range dependent.

D4 has some push block, so from point blank it will work; but from some distance it will push the opponent out too far.

You can use it in the corner, or if you're going for overheads use d1 xx MS 1+3, 1+2.

RiBBz22

It's range dependent.

D4 has some push block, so from point blank it will work; but from some distance it will push the opponent out too far.

You can use it in the corner, or if you're going for overheads use d1 xx MS 1+3, 1+2.
Ya, I just said screw it and sometimes will mix in a D4 MS into another closer D4 MS if I want to tackle from D4 mid-screen. MS is so broken you have soo many damn options from it lol.

Dash cancel?
Isn't Jump Cancel a better choice for this purpose? I mean, ↗↗↓4?
I guess it depends on how far the opponent is from you.

I find that instant dive kick comes out quicker from a dash and sometimes jump cancelling doesn't come out immediately.

Also, just out of curiosity; why would you input UF twice in the notation you posted? Does that help in some way?

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I guess it depends on how far the opponent is from you.

I find that instant dive kick comes out quicker from a dash and sometimes jump cancelling doesn't come out immediately.

Also, just out of curiosity; why would you input UF twice in the notation you posted? Does that help in some way?
Just for the sake of making it somewhat more simple. I mean, I could do →↗ to JumpCancel, but doing the same input twice is just easier.

that's how i do it.

i didn't even know you can dash cancel it.
WHAAAAAAAAAAT
DUDE, don't disappoint me. lol

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
Just fo. the sake of making it somewhat more simple. I mean, I could do →↗ to JumpCancel, but doing the same input twice is just easier.

WHAAAAAAAAAAT
DUDE, don't disappoint me. lol
Nooooo lol. I knew she can dash cancel out of MS. But i didn't know she could dash cancel and then do iDK.

Like..for F22 Ms iDK, I just did jump cancel. I never thought of dash canceling it.

Get what I'm Saying? Lol

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
Nooooo lol. I knew she can dash cancel out of MS. But i didn't know she could dash cancel and then do iDK.

Like..for F22 Ms iDK, I just did jump cancel. I never thought of dash canceling it.

Get what I'm Saying? Lol
Thank God I got you wrong. I panicked for a moment here. lol
But yeah, same here about the dash cancel into a iDK. Jump Canceling always seemed far easier and the way to go.

Prinz

watch?v=a8PEVV6tt14
Funny thing. About a half a year ago I truly believed Sonya's kartwheel was an overhead. Go bless.

I never understood why more people don't play Sonya. Within minutes of picking her up back in May I was like holy fuck. Especially since I mained Scorpion up until then. It was like how a baseball bat feels after you take the donut weights off of it.

But yeah...why don't more people play Sonya at high level? There are only a small handful of people you see using her at tournaments, despite her being such an unbelievable character without many bad matchups, and even in those matchups she can hold her own.

One thing I'd throw into the punish section is a D4 against Sektor's teleport uppercut (regular and EX) will go through it, and the teleport will come out on the other side with a total whiff, leaving him wide open for a big punish.

This works with most characters vs. Sektor, but is particularly effective with Sonya.

I'm sure it's nothing Sonya players don't already know, but spamming D4 pressure and mixing F4 into it seems to be pretty effective too since the opponent is usually going to stay blocking low, which sets up more easy pressure when the overhead hits.

Vagrant

Noob
Within minutes of picking her up back in May I was like holy fuck. Especially since I mained Scorpion up until then. It was like how a baseball bat feels after you take the donut weights off of it.

Thats a weird weird fuckin coincidence.

I picked her up just recently as well. If all goes well she'll replace scorp.

xQUANTUMx

Twitter: @xxQUANTUM
Pardon my ignorance but what do you suggest approaching your opponent? I understand the regular footsie game I just don't want to approach with the d4 stuff all the time like I see the majority of Sonya's that I play. (Disclaimer: Sonya noob here)

Edit: never mind my reason comprehension is not very good today. My problem lies in execution. I can't make the ms cancel into other stuff as seamless as I've seen done. Just need to practice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pardon my ignorance but what do you suggest approaching your opponent? I understand the regular footsie game I just don't want to approach with the d4 stuff all the time like I see the majority of Sonya's that I play. (Disclaimer: Sonya noob here)

Edit: never mind my reason comprehension is not very good today. My problem lies in execution. I can't make the ms cancel into other stuff as seamless as I've seen done. Just need to practice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I don't know what particular problem you're having, but if you try to cancel too fast, negative edge will eat you up. Particularly involving D4 canceling into arc kick instead of military stance, or D4->MS canceling into ring toss if you're trying to spam D4 pressure.