What's new

Guide Sonya Guide - By MortySeinfeld

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Does anyone know why the tackle input from MS is 1+3, 1+2 but if you do 1+3, 2 it works as well? Just negative edge buffering the last button press or something?

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
MortySeinfeld I am confused about the corner bnb damage.

I have been messing with Sonya the last few days for the first time and have it down now but in the combo below

1. Dive Kick, 2,1 xx cartwheel, b2,1 xx kiss, b2,1,f2, 1, 1, 1,1,2 (reset) xx ms, f1 xx cartwheel (48% + block damage at the end)

I will do the same combo with 4 jabs after the B21F2 string into 112 xx MS F1 xx cartwheel and it only shows 45% for the main combo before the damage from MS F1 and any chip. Is the combo you are listing max damage with a JIP or does the 48% include some sort of chip damage? I know it says + damage at the end, but since I am getting 45% consistently in training mode I just figured I would ask.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I think it's worth noting that the Leg Grab and Enhanced Leg Grab both provide unbreakable damage. Yes, you will want to end combos with 1,1,2~MS under most circumstances; For the times you can end a match denying an opponent breaker, Enhanced Kartwheel, Leg Grab (22%). If both you and your opponent have 2+ bars, you can even do Enhanced Kartwheel, Enhanced Leg Grab (27%). Very situational, but unbreakable stuff is always worth mentioning.
I'm pretty sure you can break cartwheel every time since it is 2 hits.

MortySeinfeld I am confused about the corner bnb damage.

I have been messing with Sonya the last few days for the first time and have it down now but in the combo below

1. Dive Kick, 2,1 xx cartwheel, b2,1 xx kiss, b2,1,f2, 1, 1, 1,1,2 (reset) xx ms, f1 xx cartwheel (48% + block damage at the end)

I will do the same combo with 4 jabs after the B21F2 string into 112 xx MS F1 xx cartwheel and it only shows 45% for the main combo before the damage from MS F1 and any chip. Is the combo you are listing max damage with a JIP or does the 48% include some sort of chip damage? I know it says + damage at the end, but since I am getting 45% consistently in training mode I just figured I would ask.
Those % include the block damage you would get from the ms, f1 xx cartwheel at the end of the combo.

RiverHB

Noob
I'm pretty sure you can break cartwheel every time since it is 2 hits.
You may be able to break the second hit of the EX Kartwheel. I've never seen it, likely because in real time the EX Kartwheel is interrupting opponent pressure and they're still inputting commands and cannot break within the small window. I wanted to emphasize the unbreakable Leg Grab followup for that reason. If only we could get the practice dummy to break at "earliest possible moment" or something.

RiverHB

Noob
MortySeinfeld: I have a question about her Air Throw: should it be included with the Special Moves? It technically is and it builds meter. And suggestions for the description would include the fact it reverses player sides/positions, can be situational "unbreakable" damage, and can delay Sonya's landing when jumping. The more information, the better right? Also, I can't 100% confirm this because practice mode is unreliable, but I believe the Air Throw is untechable? That could be added as well.

Also, I am only getting 14% on her Jump Kick~Air Throw combo. I haven't looked at the "true damage", but practice mode registers 14%.

ABACABB

End Of Humanity
I have a question , in the misscreen combo which starts b2,1,f2 NJP kiss , I cant land a kiss , it always whiff -,- what im doing wrong ?

RiverHB

Noob
I have a question , in the misscreen combo which starts b2,1,f2 NJP kiss , I cant land a kiss , it always whiff -,- what im doing wrong ?
After NJP connects, dash forward while Sonya's landing. She doesn't need to move forward very far. Just slightly and the Kiss will hit.

great guide, I would use different terminologies for hitlevels though because youre missing out on some important info otherwise. the terminologies I would use are:

- high: whiffs on neutral crouch and crouch block
- high's that connect on crouch block, this is very dependent on the hitbox of the character though, eg kung lao standing 2 hits on crouch block except for mileena and sektor, and doesnt hit consistent on the other low hitbox characters like cage, kitana, jax, lao etc.
- special mid: connects on crouch block and neutral crouch
- low: has to be blocked low
- medium / overhead: has to be blocked high

RiverHB

Noob
GamerBlake90 has an arcade ladder run through on youtube where he does it many times I believe. My biggest hurdle was that I was too impatient. Remember, as long as Sonya moves forward even slightly, the kiss should connect. Once you get the timing, it's pretty reliable.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
thx man but I still cant land it.... any video of this combo ?

You don't have to do a full dash like how I do in order to connect the kiss. Any length of a dash will make it work.

RiverHB - got it taken care of.

Also, this video was made before a lot of the patches came into effect, so this combo does 1% less damage than is shown, but it indeed works.

RiverHB

Noob

You don't have to do a full dash like how I do in order to connect the kiss. Any length of a dash will make it work.

RiverHB - got it taken care of.

Also, this video was made before a lot of the patches came into effect, so this combo does 1% less damage than is shown, but it indeed works.
Thanks man, I was going to edit my post to include the link.

MortySeinfeld you did talk about her "escape" block strings.. I.e 114~ arc kick etc.. Very useful getting out of "jail".
Personally, I prefer D4 xx MS F1 xx Arch Kick as an escape option.

I was thinking about putting it in there for specific matchups, But I don't really have a matchups sections.

For example, I think this as a tool is very important against Sub-Zero because max spaced D4's will whiff under ice-clones (if Sonya's foot touches the ice-clone she does not get frozen).

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
MortySeinfeld

Can you talk about what raiden has to do against Sonya and Sonya has to do against Raiden? Very interested

Also off of her bnbs into resets depending on how many 1 dash 1 1 1 1 you hit them with before 112 reset ms do the amount of jabs before reset dictate the ms frame advantage stance options?

L0rdoftheFLY could explain this far better than i just did

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
With skarlet, in a juggle the opponents hight when reset determines how much frame advantage skarlet has after the combo. Is this true with sonya as well?

for example:
112 grants 24 frames of cancel advantage when grounded...is it still 24 frames in a juggle? could it be more? Do we know what it is for various combos?

Somberness

Lights
With skarlet, in a juggle the opponents hight when reset determines how much frame advantage skarlet has after the combo. Is this true with sonya as well?

for example:
112 grants 24 frames of cancel advantage when grounded...is it still 24 frames in a juggle? could it be more? Do we know what it is for various combos?
It does. It can even be less than on the ground when your opponent is very low in the air.