What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
How fast they get up from a hard knockdown seems to be gravity based. For example, the longer combo I do the faster they wake up when I end with a stun grenade

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
AFAIK (and it's going to be flawed for sure, but hopefully helps) the hit stun should account until before they can start to get up. However, they have a few options on knock down.
1. tech roll
2. wake up
3. delay getting up
4. Get up instantly and do something (like neutral jump or backdash)

Hard knock downs (HKD) limit their options down to 3, in that they cannot tech roll afterwards (and 2134 and 124 have more + frames on hit)

The main reason that MS1 is not my favorite knock down option is that they can tech roll OR delay. So while mathematically it looks like you can stuff their wake up perfectly, if they choose to tech roll OR delay their wake up, if you choose to use B14-MS, IF the b14 whiff, you will be locked into the b142 string, which is MASSIVELY negative (-14), and I'm sure if you've played CO for a while it's happened to you and you've been punished for it. Not something I like to do regularly.

So in order to not have the above situation, HKD's will only have you contend with delayed wake ups or instant wake ups. I like to use 121 in most wake up situations because it will anti-air (neutral jumping on wake up against sonya is actually really strong..... her normal pressure strings do not anti-air for crap) and they can't tech roll out and punish you for committing to a string.

Also my understanding of waking up (this is the part that's pretty iffy) is that there are a few different timings on wake ups, and I don't know the frames attached to each of these. BUT I think there are 3 different wake up timings, instant wake ups (buffer it when you fall), delayed wake up (buffer a little after you fall), and then actual delayed stand (where you hold down the entire time and after ~.5 sec you stand up, but cannot wake up).

All of that wake up timing stuff is only interesting because HKD's have slightly different timings for wake ups, and limit the time to buffer a wake up, and will help mitigate your chances of getting locked into the full b142 string which means you WILL be punished against decent opponents every time.

Again, if people have more information on this, would love to know. But this is my current understanding of how things work.

Dedlock

Noob
I actually quite commonly use a delayed B1,4,2 as an oki tool, I know it's not safe but 9/10 the overhead low overhead stuffs them up.

They can't stay on the floor forever after a hard knockdown so I just time the B1 a little later to catch them before getting up, they either get caught by the low 4 or the 2 overhead.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Delayed is definitely great, and I do it all the time. However, it's not a mathematically tight option if MS1 gives you +11 on hit to stuff all wake up options with a b14MS, because you'll miss if they tech roll or delay. It becomes a reaction to when they get up, or a meaty option after you wait a little bit. If the opponent (like my training partner does) neutral jump punches, you can get caught into a full punish if you don't wait to see that they stay down the full duration and just delay it a little. I've been punished and caught for not waiting to see what the reaction is.

Sometimes cool to catch people with the 2nd overhead (the 2), but the risk/reward on that is pretty not in your favor.

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
Any good sonya players? I need to get better at this MU. Demo sonya specifically. I play SD Johnny and I struggle with Sonya, and it's not the 50/50s.

exflyingbooty

This dream has a sad ending
I got two questions
  • is b+33u4 useful at all in corner combos, from what i see it's practically useless for co, it's ok for demo and it might have a use in special forces
  • Is there a special forces guide floating around somewhere? i'm pretty lost on it lol

coconutshrimp

Damn vro, hadda mess with yo auntie
It's -13 on whiff, but any attempt I have of punishing it gets stuffed by the Sonyer player pressing, buttons. Well I'll keep labbing that. What are the Grenades on block?

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Dive kick should be -5 on whiff according to patch notes. If your testing is different then go with that. On block it's variable based on where you hit them (higher means more recovery)

Grenades are also variable to how long you delay them. So instantly detonated they're pretty - However, if you throw it out and let it bounce around for a little while, it can be ridiculously plus. That's another mix up she gets (delay to break armor? delay to get +? explode instantly to see if they're trying to avoid a delayed grenade?)

Dedlock

Noob
I got two questions
  • is b+33u4 useful at all in corner combos, from what i see it's practically useless for co, it's ok for demo and it might have a use in special forces
  • Is there a special forces guide floating around somewhere? i'm pretty lost on it lol
B33u4 is pretty useless I'm Covert Ops, the launch isn't high enough to follow up combo, damage is not that great as well.

Dive kick should be -5 on whiff according to patch notes. If your testing is different then go with that. On block it's variable based on where you hit them (higher means more recovery)
)
dive kick is -13 on whiff? -5 was the pre nerf version. or am I mistaken?

Dedlock

Noob
It's not useless, I found this:

It's just not as useful as B332ms =)
Yeah, in covert ops MS is more efficient and gives you more damage options, even in Demo with the new mid combo reloads it makes B3,3,U4 null and void.

If it launched higher from mid screen it would make for a great run cancel follow up.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Dive kick used to be 0 on whiff on release. Now it should be -5.
@Dedlock

and b33u4 is for swag and swag alone. It is never better to do that than to cancel into MS.

skater11

The saltiest
B33u4 is not useless at all across all her variations...after all, it's a launcher that's -9 with good pushback on block. So it's a pretty safe low option that launches. Just a matter of being in the right situation.

Ninequads93

Beware your Fears
B33u4 is not useless at all across all her variations...after all, it's a launcher that's -9 with good pushback on block. So it's a pretty safe low option that launches. Just a matter of being in the right situation.
B33u4 is good for special forces when u don't have drone out but I have noticed the last hit will whiff on crouching females

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
For all the demo players, do you randomly get a reload when using Negative edge and a ps4 pad doing B14 or F2 into grenade? I thought it was an execution error, but when I go to practice mode I can see how it randomly executes 2 Down inputs even though I only do DF - anyone else? On xbone pad I've not experienced this...

Also to make sure it wasn't my pad - I have been pressing down, down, down, down for 20 minutes straight and never got a double down like as when I do F2 or B14 into DF1...

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
My guess would be that it's from having negative edge on. It can double count the inputs (on push and on release) so it's probably the game registering that happening sometimes?

Ayase Chihaya

Chihayafuru
My guess would be that it's from having negative edge on. It can double count the inputs (on push and on release) so it's probably the game registering that happening sometimes?
I don't think so because the input log displays 2 down inputs - so its DOWN DOWN. With negative edge it will do that automatically if it was the case and not display 2 downs. For example, holding 1 after throwing a grenade and then releasing it to throw a second won't show two different 1's in the input log.

It may be the cause tho.... idk it's so strange and it would do the same on xbone pad if it was NE

Paul the Octopus

Slow Starter
What are an opponent's options against Demo Sonya doing b332 stun grenade with a delayed explosion? There is a gap before the grenade explodes but it seems like if the opponent attempts to poke back Sonya can detonate the grenade and punish. The delayed detonation also catches jumps.

It seems like backdash is an option midscreen and advancing armor can work, but is that it? Does the opponent basically have to told 50/50s until the grenades run out if they are in the corner and/or have no good advancing armor attacks?

Status
Not open for further replies.