What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

skater11

The saltiest
Hey all, I have a couple quick SF frame data questions.

Her 111 string is listed as +4 on hit and 33 cancel advantage. Drone Call is listed as 1 startup and 41 recover. So shouldn't I be able to use 111xxdrone call on hit and be safe? Mileena ball roll and SubZ ex slide are punishing me every time.

F4 is listed as 48 cancel advantage. I don't know which hit it's for, but I get punished on block trying to drone call there too, on first and second hit.

So which frames are listed incorrectly? I find these super frustrating, but I'm having too much fun in the lab looking for weird drone shenanigans.
You're looking at the wrong frame data. You need to look at the hit advantage data for that type of stuff.

B2 for example has no cancel advantage but that doesn't mean you can't safely call out the drone. You can do it right after the launcher and be safe. And standing 4 for example is another good one. It has 34 hit advantage + cancel frames which means you can cancel into drone on the first frame possible after the 4 and be safe.

Dedlock

Noob
The only Sonyas I watched were Morty Seinfeld and DaZengie, both of them played Demo.
Yeah, I only saw the top 8 no Sonya's in sight, its been a trend for a while, her MK9 glory days are way behind her, as pointed out she has to0 many holes in her game to be top 10/8 tournament viable there is no safety.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Yeah, I only saw the top 8 no Sonya's in sight, its been a trend for a while, her MK9 glory days are way behind her, as pointed out she has to0 many holes in her game to be top 10/8 tournament viable there is no safety.
The thing is that, as I said in another thread, Sonya is a character that almost doesn't have a community with people playing her no matter what. She's more of a character that people pick for the sake of tier whoring. There was a bandwagon of "Sonya is top 5" in the first months but once they realized she was definitely not top 5, they started to drop her. Even the Mileena community is more loyal to the character regardless if she is or not bottom tier. I still think she's top 10 and all of her variations are viable. I feel that as long as BS Shinnok, Tempest Lao or Kobu Tanya is around, Sonya will take a backseat for a while.

Dedlock

Noob
The thing is that, as I said in another thread, Sonya is a character that almost doesn't have a community with people playing her no matter what. She's more of a character that people pick for the sake of tier whoring.
I don't blame them, they want to win don't they, so they'll pick characters that have superior advantages, why pick Sonya when it's a struggle from point a to b?

But regardless I've always been loyal to Sonya and seeing others win tournaments is not going to change that, although, it's nice to see one's fave embraced.

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
The only Sonyas I watched were Morty Seinfeld and DaZengie, both of them played Demo.
Thanks. Sorry guys, which I did a bit better. Got outplayed and nerves got to me vs Biohazard. Yeah I wished more Sonyas were represented but ironically I took out a Covert Ops Sonya during my first game lol. I think SF or Demo Sonya counters CO Sonya hard. Until next time! Working on some new demo tech and mix ups.

Dedlock

Noob
Thanks. Sorry guys, which I did a bit better. Got outplayed and nerves got to me vs Biohazard. Yeah I wished more Sonyas were represented but ironically I took out a Covert Ops Sonya during my first game lol. I think SF or Demo Sonya counters CO Sonya hard. Until next time! Working on some new demo tech and mix ups.
no apologies necessary, we have to thankyou for sticking with Sonya! do you have any links to you evo matches, i'd love to see them.

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
I don't blame them, they want to win don't they, so they'll pick characters that have superior advantages, why pick Sonya when it's a struggle from point a to b?

But regardless I've always been loyal to Sonya and seeing others win tournaments is not going to change that, although, it's nice to see one's fave embraced.
Struggle? No offense, but sometimes I can't help but interpret some of your posts as nothing but straight up downplaying. Sorry, she's nowhere near a bad character. She is considered top 10 material and all of her variations are pretty strong and viable. She has weaknesses like any character, but her strenghts make up for them. If you think winning with a character like that is a struggle, then you need to play Takeda, Goro and Mileena more often. That's the real struggle.

Last edited:

errormacro7

Official Sonya simp
Ha, congrats, dude ;)

DaZengie

no apologies necessary, we have to thankyou for sticking with Sonya! do you have any links to you evo matches, i'd love to see them.
I am going to stick with her. A lot of players don't know how to deal with the nades or drone in SF so that's going to be my advantage.
I'll look for the videos when I get home. I'm sure it's gonna be up on YouTube or archived on twitch somewhere. For now I'm just enjoying the rest of Evo as this is my very first major I've entered. Competition is super stiff even in pools and especially for those who don't get much offline match up experience.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
You're looking at the wrong frame data. You need to look at the hit advantage data for that type of stuff.

B2 for example has no cancel advantage but that doesn't mean you can't safely call out the drone. You can do it right after the launcher and be safe. And standing 4 for example is another good one. It has 34 hit advantage + cancel frames which means you can cancel into drone on the first frame possible after the 4 and be safe.
Thanks for the reply but you didn't address anything I'm actually asking. I know everything you just told me.

Why can't I do 111 call drone on hit? why can't I do f4 call drone on block, what is actually wrong. My math seems to support these but they don't actually work.

skater11

The saltiest
Thanks for the reply but you didn't address anything I'm actually asking. I know everything you just told me.

Why can't I do 111 call drone on hit? why can't I do f4 call drone on block, what is actually wrong. My math seems to support these but they don't actually work.
Oh sorry I guess I didn't understand your question. But anyways, you CAN do 111drone you just gotta make sure you cancel at the right time, and not press any other input or else the Option Select technique will cancel your move. 111 has a long hit animation so timing may be tricky at first.

As for F4, I seriously don't know why you are having problems with that. You can cancel the first kick and the second kick. Though you gotta do that one pretty quick compared to 111 where you buffer the input kinda late for it to cancel.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
Oh sorry I guess I didn't understand your question. But anyways, you CAN do 111drone you just gotta make sure you cancel at the right time, and not press any other input or else the Option Select technique will cancel your move. 111 has a long hit animation so timing may be tricky at first.

As for F4, I seriously don't know why you are having problems with that. You can cancel the first kick and the second kick. Though you gotta do that one pretty quick compared to 111 where you buffer the input kinda late for it to cancel.
Oh yea, I know you can do those as inputs. Why is Sonya punishable in those situations? The frame data for 111drone on hit and F4drone on block both suggest that she shouldn't be. Is the listed frame data wrong or is my math?

I feel like any button Ermac presses automatically just crushes any attempt to D4, or D3 check him. gotta d1, meaning there's less reason to get him to block high, and my most useable poke is low range.

I really feel lost in this matchup. It's not his zoning, or his teleport, or his high damage that's killing me,,,, It's really in his neutral and negative-but-safe strings where I feel like I just cannot check him on block at all.

Anyone know how to handle this? Demo? Droneya? Covert Ops? I'm just getting bodied by any good Ermac.

Reactions: jmt

Dedlock

Noob
I feel like any button Ermac presses automatically just crushes any attempt to D4, or D3 check him. gotta d1, meaning there's less reason to get him to block high, and my most useable poke is low range.

I really feel lost in this matchup. It's not his zoning, or his teleport, or his high damage that's killing me,,,, It's really in his neutral and negative-but-safe strings where I feel like I just cannot check him on block at all.

Anyone know how to handle this? Demo? Droneya? Covert Ops? I'm just getting bodied by any good Ermac.
same here, I fought a Ermac (MOS) and we took it to three rounds and in the final round he was just low kick poke and following it up with his overhead for the entire round and he beat me, I couldnt believe it! I was trying to D3 it but I just couldn't get out.

skater11

The saltiest
Oh yea, I know you can do those as inputs. Why is Sonya punishable in those situations? The frame data for 111drone on hit and F4drone on block both suggest that she shouldn't be. Is the listed frame data wrong or is my math?
Idk maybe someone else can answer. I hardly play special forces anyway.

skater11

The saltiest
I hate fighting Ermac too. I find myself using d4 a lot after blocking him. It works. Sometimes I throw in a very small run cancel d4 to be sure I get him or I walk back and f2/f2b1/f2EXringtoss/f2MS3 to check him.

DaZengie

for ermacs that spam d3 to overhead, I've had decent luck with jump back instant dive kick to full combo punish. A whiffed d3 or overhead should lose to that. They'll stop spamming after they eat a few of those. Once that happens you can check them with your own d3.

I feel like that's all we can really do. Jump out of his pressure, or backdash out of his pressure, but for whatever reason, the Avatar of Rushdown that is Sonya can't beat him up close....

I guess I still need to really go into the lab and break down the matchup more, but as of now he out-pokes the living shit out of us it feels like. He's got better frames. ALL THE FRAMES ;_;

YoloRoll1stHit

Publicly Educated
Does anyone notice this: Both regular and ex version of Sonya's ring blast do 2.63% damage on block. Regular version does only 5% on hit, I think the block damage might be bugged

Status
Not open for further replies.