What's new

General/Other - Sonya Blade Sonya General Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Surferkidjared

I'm goin in!
I'm newish to mkx but not to fighting games and I was wondering is Sonya is hard to pickup and learn? Also, I was seeing what variation might be the easiest or which is better? I know a lot will be opinionated and each variation is good in there own way but I i was looking into demolition and really liked that one. I notice a lot of peopl are using convert ops with her though. Is convert ops better out of the two?

Alright RyRy

Florida Kombat
I'm newish to mkx but not to fighting games and I was wondering is Sonya is hard to pickup and learn? Also, I was seeing what variation might be the easiest or which is better? I know a lot will be opinionated and each variation is good in there own way but I i was looking into demolition and really liked that one. I notice a lot of peopl are using convert ops with her though. Is convert ops better out of the two?
Thanks for Joining the site, its easier to talk on here.

1. Play with what you like. If you like demolition then play it, It seems to be a bit more complex ATM to people are not really playing it. We the sonya community do believe there is potential in that variation. Just have not explored it.

2. Sonya is a character that makes YOU think, she has good mix-ups and really has the ability to fluster the opponent. But that all comes down to YOU mixing it up properly.

3. At least learn all 3 Variations to get the full knowledge of the character.

4. Here are some good matches with my Sonya.

lslick

Stole this pic from Doombawkz :P
Welcome to TYM and the Sonya board :D. I don't think she is a hard character to pick up. You will notice that if you love the character, then the entry level of any character won't discourage you in playing them. The easiest variation to pick up is Covert Ops due to having layered mixups without much setup. Such as doing B14 or B332 which are your overhead and low option into military stance. Military stance opens up your double overhead, low, or throw option. So basically you want to react to what your opponent is doing in those situations. If you like demolition, you should stick to it. There is some things we found out about that variation in this thread as well as another thread about someone's thoughts on it. But yeah covert ops is the easiest of the three hence why people are using it the most. That is not to say the other variations suck, her other variations are hella good too as well. Just takes more work is all. If you have any other questions, you can continue posting here :D

Dedlock

Noob
bought the pack, I'm so desperate for alternates, cant wait for Tanya for the MK1 outfit, overall I really like her cold war outfite, I think the hair frames her face better and she looks better. the alternate colour is greyish/white which gives her alteast a different colour from her others.

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
Anyone else thinking Special Forces is her best?

That drone fireball essentially eliminates neutral and allows her to get in for free more or less.

And the corner mixup with B33 xx low drone or B1,4 xx low drone gives you a safe combo after both of those options and if they blocked it, you can get another mixup.

I was doing like, B33 xx low drone NJP 12 12 12 121 xx call drone, and I think that did around 33% into another drone mixup. Not to mention that the drone also has a + on block overhead and the FB can be funky for stagger blockstrings.

Death

Noob
Anyone else thinking Special Forces is her best?

That drone fireball essentially eliminates neutral and allows her to get in for free more or less.

And the corner mixup with B33 xx low drone or B1,4 xx low drone gives you a safe combo after both of those options and if they blocked it, you can get another mixup.

I was doing like, B33 xx low drone NJP 12 12 12 121 xx call drone, and I think that did around 33% into another drone mixup. Not to mention that the drone also has a + on block overhead and the FB can be funky for stagger blockstrings.
100% will be her best Var. Id be surprised if it wasn't. I'm currently learning it. It is insane just takes a bit longer to get good with.

chrisofrays

Fish can hear you thinkin just before you sneeze
With special forces are you using release check? I find it alot harder to combo low kamikaze from a B33,2 without negative edge

Fergus

Like Father, Like Daughter
I think you're better off just doing b33 xx low drone because the 2 whiffs on crouchers (not sure if that still happens after patch)

Because they can duck the 2, if you just do b33 xx low drone. You're safe.

lslick

I think you're better off just doing b33 xx low drone because the 2 whiffs on crouchers (not sure if that still happens after patch)

Because they can duck the 2, if you just do b33 xx low drone. You're safe.
It's the second 2 in B332 that whiffs. The first 2 of the string is ok to cancel off of. The second 2 which is the backhand whiff will though

RiBBz22

TYM's Confirmed Prophet/Time-Traveler
Covert is really easy to play, but very straight forward if your opponent knows what to do/understands the blockstrings and holes in them. I agree with a lot on here that Special Forces is going to probably be her most dirty variation as time goes on.

lslick

Both @AoK Ryan and @Konqrr mentioned this in the thread before but here is a short vid I made showing that if you space B14 in training mode, the dummy doesn't reversal inbetween the gap. I tested this against offline players too and they weren't able to reversal through it either

jmt

Noob
1. Saw someone doing starter, ms4, 21, 21u4 mid screen and they never missed it, but I can't get it every time. I walk forward after the ms4 too.

2. Does everyone run in to combo after ms3 in the corner? I noticed you don't have to run, you can walk forward a bit, but it's really inconsistent.

I personally use the MS4, 21 , 21u4 string a lot midscreen. You don't have to walk forward after the the MS4, but I do think it makes it slightly easier. You just want to time the first 21 so that the elbow on 1 hits very late.

Also, I have way better luck getting the 12 or 21 after MS3 in the corner when I run. just standing or walking has never really worked for me.

Reactions: jmt

NRF CharlieMurphy

Kindergarten Meta
1. Saw someone doing starter, ms4, 21, 21u4 mid screen and they never missed it, but I can't get it every time. I walk forward after the ms4 too.

2. Does everyone run in to combo after ms3 in the corner? I noticed you don't have to run, you can walk forward a bit, but it's really inconsistent.
It is just natural to run after the MS low starter... because midscreen you're going to want to run to close the distance anyway.... so muscle memory is your friend.

I still think cover ops is dirty town when you use her meter for MB throws on the end or in the middle of combo's to get the "batgirl" effect if you will.

I still wish her parry was better in cover ops tho :(

Reactions: jmt
Status
Not open for further replies.