What's new

Match-up Discussion Sonya Blade Matchup Discussion Thread

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Sigh... I can't believe i'm asking this...

I didn't study the matchup at all and it cost me at fight night.

Someone please just give me the rundown of the Sonya Kano matchup
Just abuse him. I honestly just try to run the character over with sonyas more effective tools. I need more exp though too tbh.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
Sigh... I can't believe i'm asking this...

I didn't study the matchup at all and it cost me at fight night.

Someone please just give me the rundown of the Sonya Kano matchup
Strangely the matchup is not as easy as you would think, haha.

Do remember that your projectiles are slightly better than his, so really try to win the zoning war if you can.

I wouldn't go for too many jumps because he can up ball AA you at a range where both dive kick and normal jump will lose to it.

Remember that he doesn't have too many great options to beat her d4.

He can get an air throw off of jump kicks, so just uppercut / en cartwheel for AA because it's safest.

I would definitely just try to zone and play footsies from around or slightly outside of d4 range to bait jumps, and on knockdown really play it safe and bait a lot.

Also know the holes in his strings that you can armor through!!!

I don't know them or I would list them =[

Vagrant

Noob
Hey anybody in here with tons of lao experience? I have been having some serious issues with whiffed divekicks. Any tips?
I do pretty well against Lao. You have to be more specific though, is it the dramatic change in spacing thats throwing you off? What is he following up with? etc.

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
I do pretty well against Lao. You have to be more specific though, is it the dramatic change in spacing thats throwing you off? What is he following up with? etc.
What has been happening has been that it is a lifelead matchup. If iget a life lead I am fine, and I can deal with lao trying to start his offense. But if lao makes that first few reads and gets a life lead, i cant lock him down. It becomes a guessing game between him divekicking over me or moving forward and getting space. If that does not make any sense, I can probably get some match footage in a couple days vs lao.

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
These matchup threads are outdated as shit lol. Why do people even post in this thread? Isn't there a new updated Sonya matchup chart?

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
One matchup I think is very interesting is Kung Lao vs Sonya. In the history of this game I have thought of it as 4-6, 5-5, or 6-4. It could seriously go either way, I really don't know what number to put on this matchup. What can a Kung Lao player really do to a Sonya who is punishing all teleports and JIP's? Her speed up close really matches Kung Laos' as well, so I think she can really shut that character down

Vagrant

Noob
It's a VERY interesting MU.

Neither has a distinct advantage over the other imo. It comes down to who can make the better reads, who can react quicker, and who can establish respect first.

It's the definition of a 5-5 at the highest level imo

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
One matchup I think is very interesting is Kung Lao vs Sonya. In the history of this game I have thought of it as 4-6, 5-5, or 6-4. It could seriously go either way, I really don't know what number to put on this matchup. What can a Kung Lao player really do to a Sonya who is punishing all teleports and JIP's? Her speed up close really matches Kung Laos' as well, so I think she can really shut that character down
Like i was saying before, it seems very lifelead based. Kung lao has to get an early life lead and run the hell away. If sonya can stay with him then she has an advantage. I don't think i am ready to label it, but I fairly sure it is not in laos favor. It could be even and it could be in sonyas favor.

GuamoKun

I Break Hearts, Not Combos
okay so I kinda play the Kitana Sonya MU by literally running away from her and winning by timeout. Not zoning, but just backing up and assing away at a certain distance so that her d4 doesn't reach it. What I want to learn however, is how do you guys approach this MU? I kind of want to learn the spacing and what not. I'm tired of getting my isht kicked in by this.....monstrosity

I know that Sonya has no solid answers to deal with being lamed out, and that outside of d4 range she can't do much....but I want to know what are your guys' strategies when fighting Kitana? What do you guys fish out, bait, expect....and stuff like that...

tl;dr
How do you guys fight Kitana? So I can like use....reverse psychology or something against you

Death
xKhaoTikx
GamerBlake90
Compbros

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
okay so I kinda play the Kitana Sonya MU by literally running away from her and winning by timeout. Not zoning, but just backing up and assing away at a certain distance so that her d4 doesn't reach it. What I want to learn however, is how do you guys approach this MU? I kind of want to learn the spacing and what not. I'm tired of getting my isht kicked in by this.....monstrosity

I know that Sonya has no solid answers to deal with being lamed out, and that outside of d4 range she can't do much....but I want to know what are your guys' strategies when fighting Kitana? What do you guys fish out, bait, expect....and stuff like that...

tl;dr
How do you guys fight Kitana? So I can like use....reverse psychology or something against you

Death
xKhaoTikx
GamerBlake90
Compbros
Well what we want to do is get an early life lead and walk away from you. Sonya can approach kit with patience, and I generally try and bait a fwd 2 or square wave and then walk back. The matchup really comes down to, is kitana going to ass out of the corner or not haha. The thing about it is once sonya gets in and starts knocking kitana down the matchup becomes really lopsided. As far as your reverse psychology theory, if sonya is trying to bait the square wave, you could probably just walk forward and get away from the corner that way because sonya will be walking back. As far as the regular spacing game goes, its d4 vs kitanas wide range of tools (which is actually a pretty even fight)

xKhaoTik

The Ignore Button Is Free
when i'm sonya, i fight Kitana the same way I would fight Sonya if I was Kitana lol. I just get the life lead and back off. Sonya clearly beats her upclose, but at the same time, Sonya has to tools to maintain a life lead. Kitana has no choice but to go to her once she's down on life, and that's dangerous for Kit because Sonya will be on defense mode, especially when Sonya has meter. Plus, I just dont wanna get touched by Kitana lol

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Are there any matchups that anybody uses naked kiss in footsies (lol wierd thing to say out of context)? I personally use it vs Cage, Baraka, and Nightwolf. There aren't any other characters that I can think of that it really would help since it is kind of risky when your opponent can just hit you in the face with a projectile.... maybe csz , although if it whiffs he can just dive kick you.... Another character I was thinking of was jade. That is pretty much it.

I looked back on this and LOL'd because of how outdated this is. Can we at least update all this MU info before the entire community goes off to Injustice and claims that MK is dead? :(

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I'm trying to pick up Sonya but still deciding. I used to play Cage but Kenshi makes me sad.

Is the OP updated? Or can somebody provide me an updated MU chart? Thanks guys

Yeah I was looking at it and scratching my head. Do you know of an updated one?
Umm there might be a thread somewhere around here, but I'm not all knowing if her numbers, but she beats a lot of characters and losses to Kabal, kenshi, Freddy, and maybe Cyrax? I'm not to positive about him but there are other people much more qualified to give you her numbers, than me lol

4x4lo8o

Noob
Lmao at the op.

Loses to Nightwolf and Raiden and goes even with Baraka. I can't wait until old Injustice match up charts are this funny. Whoever bumped this made my day