What's new

Combo List - Sonya Blade Sonya Blade Combo Thread

The first video is a repost from the Sonya general discussion (my bad), the second one is new and all about garrote parry combos.

Jesus wept!!

Combo 1= 41%
Combo 2 = 37%
Combo 3 = 38%
Combo 4 = 33%

All meterless!

Where's the lyrics to that symphony friend? We need that!! Get us the dictation.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Already annotated and added to the list the ones that are relevant (namely the counter ones).

The ones in the first video are all sub-optimal. They're less dmg than the ones I have posted and not any easier on execution, so I didn't see much value in putting them up. Trying to keep the OP lean in terms of just having good information up.

I don't see a whole lot of advantage to listing out all the different starters that are possible... any string can cancel into military stance cartwheel and be ended with any of the enders.

I'm posting all the strings without jump in dmg (as it just inflates everything and is not what you would expect to land every time in a match).

I'm taking for granted a bit in that I assume most people can piece together that combos really go: starter string -> pop up -> maximum dmg finisher

so combos at present day pretty much go: b14 OR b332 (as these are the good mix up options that you should build your pressure game around) INTO military stance cartwheel (standard pop up), into 21, 21u4 OR 21, 2134 (hard knockdown, 1% less) OR 21, 213bf4 (hard knock down, switch sides).

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
44% one meter midscreen combo.
(Covert Ops)

Enh Parry ( throw behind), dive kick b332~ms 4, R~21 213bf4

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Safe and advantageous are pretty different though.

With perfect execution, any move up to -5 should be safe. 5 frames i the fastest move in the game (lots of d1's have 5 frames) and you can link specials from pokes most of the time. Negative frames are bad, but unless it is a significant enough amount that they can fully execute the start up of their string, it is 'safe' because you are able to block before you would have been hit.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Only in Covert Ops. Also covert ops has the parry, so most pop ups are in covert ops. Demolition has the bombs instead of those two, and special forces has the drone.

HugeMcBigLarge

Retirement my ass
Grain of salt, very early opinions tend to change pretty quickly. Her mix up strings are consistent throughout all variations (b14 and b332), but the military stance cancel adds another element of mix up, because you're able to hit confirm into either 1 3 or 4 out of military stance.

Haven't seriously explored any variation besides covert ops. Sonya's lack of pop-ups off of her normal strings makes her HEAVILY reliant on her specials to actually pop up and start combo's, so she seems rather restricted at present in how you can get combos up and rolling. The combos for covert ops should be pretty much valid for demolition as well, just substitute db2 4 for df2 (stun grenade).

My take on these so far is that demolition buys you some range/trap opportunities, but you Sonya's strength is in her knock down/oki game. She can continue with 50/50 pressure off of most knockdowns. Military stance is too good of a pressure/knock up option to let go of; the bombs don't get you that much in terms of pressure, and the drone attacks serve a lot of the same role as string cancels into military stance, they just take more set up and actually create less opportunity.

Covert ops also gives you the wake up option for your parry and another pop-up on EX. As of day 2 (still REALLY early) I don't see too much benefit outside of match up specific benefits (mid range options demolition gives vs. lasher takeda or kung jin) to the other variations.

DaZengie

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MortalKombatATX/
So how about her mix ups ups demo and the other variation? Are they good? Which variation u think is best and why?
I've been playing a bit with demo to see if I like it. I am starting to like it based on a few things: Looks like you can toss a grenade, then perform a dive kick, and have the grenade explode after the dive kick hits so it's safe on block. The key is to space out the dive kick correctly and to have the grenade explode after the dive kick hits. I would aim for the opponent's foot rather than torso. If the grenade explodes before you make contact with the dive kick, then you're probably going to be punished. This can bait the opponent into various things.
You can also do a block string that leaves you negative on block, cancel into grenade toss (I recommend the stun grenade) to immediate explosion. If the opponent is not aware of these tactics and try to punish your negative block string, they may get caught in the stun grenade, so you can run up and do a combo. You can use that tactic as a poke/hit confirm or a retreating move to get back into the neutral game.
Have to play around with this tech.

Slayhawk84

Yup, still a noob.
Any good combos for her neutral jump launcher? I'm gonna start labbing them out for Covert Ops when I get home from work, but if anyone has already gone through the trouble...

Landonio

n00b
44% one meter midscreen combo.
(Covert Ops)

Enh Parry ( throw behind), dive kick b332~ms 4, R~21 213bf4
Nice! I didn't know you could squeeze in the dive kick at the beginning after the parry. I normally just do back+1, 4 as the starter though. Much easier, especially for online.

Any good combos for her neutral jump launcher? I'm gonna start labbing them out for Covert Ops when I get home from work, but if anyone has already gone through the trouble...
I've just been doing:
(walk forward) 2, 1 > grab for around 22%. I'm sure there's a better one though. The grab is pretty much my ender for like 80% of my combos. For EX, you can EX the throw and do a leg grab or a forward+2 as the ender I think.

For the corner, you can do:
2, 1 > 1,2 > 1,2 > grab for around 28%. Sure you can do better though.

Also, not sure if this has been posted or is even any good, but I found a 40% meterless corner combo if anyone is interested.

Safe and advantageous are pretty different though.

With perfect execution, any move up to -5 should be safe. 5 frames i the fastest move in the game (lots of d1's have 5 frames) and you can link specials from pokes most of the time. Negative frames are bad, but unless it is a significant enough amount that they can fully execute the start up of their string, it is 'safe' because you are able to block before you would have been hit.
Ok now I understand. Thanks. Good breakdown.

Not seeing many Special Forces combos. I think the drone could be very good for corner combos but in mid screen, meh. Anyone with some 30%+ combos with special forces?

Not a lot of people like the special forces. I tried it out for awhile and demolition. Covert Ops though speaks more to me.

That said, once I've gathered enough knowledge on CO to the point I can do stuff in my sleep. I will start digging into her other variants. I do feel there is stuff there.

Regarding Special Forces, to me, felt like it requires real good setups to get its engine running into the proper gear. Once in that gear though, I think it can be dangerous. Lots of trickery and shenanigans.

Glass Sword

Nobody
Special forces. Right now just have corner combos don't know about midscreen.
Corner -
Starter - low kamikaze- instant neutral jump punch - jump forward kick - 12 - 12 - 2134 - summon drone

I was wrong about my initial thought with b1 (overhead) not having range. It has a pretty good forward lunge to it and good range indeed.

It can initiate from right out side the normal attack range of most, blocking low (turtling) opponents.

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Garrote Punish 1 or 3 instant air dive kick b332 Military Stance cartwheel run cancel 21 run cancel throw 45%

Probably better to sub out the throw for a 21u4 because it nets you a bigger frame advantage so you can continue rush down at the cost of 3% damage