What's new

Sony bought EVO. What does this mean for MK11?

What do you think will happen?

• Expect MK(11) to be more prominent at EVO.

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • We won't see MK at EVO ever again.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nothing will change. MK will be at EVO for the first year, then all but forgotten.

Votes: 3 42.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickolaidas

Agent of Chaosrealm
I remember MK pro players claiming that the reason MK11 got the shaft in its 2nd year at EVO was 'politics'. I am not sure whether this was ever explained, but do you think that those 'policies' and problems with MK and EVO will continue/stop/change now that Sony bought EVO?

Inzzane_79

Every time someone farts, a demon gets his wings

there is already a topic about that, maybe try discuss your question over there so we don’t have double threads all over the place :)

thx

Metin

Ermac & Smoke Main
it means Havik comes to MK11, Sony paid extra 10 million USD to Evo founders to get Havik in MK11. Why Sony did this, nobody knows at this moment but according to 4chan leaks Evo is the secret boss of Nrs and they also want to release Nerd Skin Pack for MK11.

Revy

★ 19 Years of Jade ★
Mortal Kombat is probably safe unless Sony fucks everything up & there’s more controversy around EVO again or other fuckery happens again.

I think Sony would have to rely on Arc System Works (Guilty Gear), Netherrealm Studios (Mortal Kombat), Capcom (Street Fighter), Bandai Namco (Tekken & SoulCalibur) & Team Ninja (DOA) to get more entrants & Sony will promote them to try to make those games more prominent if Nintendo pulls Smash which will probably become a community side tournament without Nintendo’s influence.

I don't see any game at risk of getting cut due to this other than Smash because Nintendo won't have a company willing to bend over backwards for them in exchange for broadcast rights.

Evo under Mr Wiz has cut a MARVEL VERSUS game on its first year, and MK11 on its second, indicating that historic community support had no value with them.

The place of NRS games at Evo is more safe with Sony than with Mr Wiz and that shows how fucking random shit got.

DeftMonk

Noob
I don't see any game at risk of getting cut due to this other than Smash because Nintendo won't have a company willing to bend over backwards for them in exchange for broadcast rights.

Evo under Mr Wiz has cut a MARVEL VERSUS game on its first year, and MK11 on its second, indicating that historic community support had no value with them.

The place of NRS games at Evo is more safe with Sony than with Mr Wiz and that shows how fucking random shit got.
You say that like marvel infinite had community support.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Sony didn't buy Evo as a charity, they bought it to make money. They're not going to make money turning games away from Evo. More games = more signups and more viewers. The only major issues I see are companies like Nintendo not wanting to play ball.

mattteo

Noob
I have about 50 friends who I play Mortal Kombat with. None of them cares about EVO or competitive stage.

We couldn't care less that someone bought EVO or waste time worrying what this means for MK.

I think MK is a game that you can play to have a lot of fun with your friends.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Closing this as MK11 is already confirmed to be at the EVO for the second (really, the third) year, and there's another thread on this topic already.

It's pretty clear why, as it only makes sense for Sony to promote MK as it's the #1 or #2-selling fighting game for their platform, and they already have official weekly Playstation tournaments for it, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.