What's new

Playstation buys Evo

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
While I've been expecting news about EVO 2021 soon, that was NOT what I had in mind. Hot damn and hell yeah.

EDIT: I can't help but wonder what Nintendo's stance will be for including Smash now. Nintendo JP HQ is SUPER against Smash representation that they don't have 100% control over so they were always on edge about EVO. Now that it's owned by a direct competitor, what will they do?

Arqwart

D'Vorah for KP2 copium
I'm definitely not gonna miss the "Lul which community should we leave out of EVO and make beg us this year" announcement streams.

If Playstation scan stream and promote EVO on their official Twitch and Youtube channels that'd be absolutely huge and bring more visibility for all of us.
Not to mention this has the potential to GREATLY increase the yearly budget. I'm sure Sony is excited at the prospect of tons of ad revenue and profits off entrance fees.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
very good news , indeed ! the quality of the prizes will increase, and the management administration tasks regarding the tourney will have much more quality level and professional statements :cool:

great victory for all FGC around , no doubt ! :)

Lmao evo finals for mk11 is gonna be 90% off screen...jk

Commentators:
"There she goes again, and wow she just landed right on him for the 79th time"

DarksydeDash

You know me as RisingShieldBro online.
This is amazing.

I can't believe after all this time we can potentially have ALL matches streamed

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
While I've been expecting news about EVO 2021 soon, that was NOT what I had in mind. Hot damn and hell yeah.

EDIT: I can't help but wonder what Nintendo's stance will be for including Smash now. Nintendo JP HQ is SUPER against Smash representation that they don't have 100% control over so they were always on edge about EVO. Now that it's owned by a direct competitor, what will they do?
Shit got real at Nintendo corp. That's a fact.

Gooberking

FGC Cannon Fodder
In some ways it sounds cool, but I'm not sure I'm totally on board with a platform owner having ownership of such a significant part of the genre. I'm sure they did it for the people though, and not to cement their stake as the go to platform in fighting games or anything.

trufenix

bye felicia
I'm not wild that this means another ten god damned years of street fighter 5 but at least the event is saved. Maybe now we can get a decent time slot.

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Question is if Sony is gonna want to host Smash when it's by far the most popular game at EVO. Nintendo might not want to play ball either, Smash community already on their shit list haha

Ilthuain

Lost in a labyrinth of egoism
I'm really curious how an online double elim tournament with no entry cost will even work. It's region based, but still, those pools are going to be massive.