What's new

Sonic Fox's Buff List

That's why pro gamers balancing games is generally a bad idea. They're way too biased to make sensible changes.

"I'm ok with Scorpion being a mediocre character because I think he's THAT good, but how about we buff those other characters I think are better than him" ???

Also pretty clear that he's biased towards flawless block punishes because he's shit at them.
Also Baraka's f44 special cancelable? Alright dude.

The guy is great at thinking about how to abuse the system and terrible at thinking about improvements.

Agree with breakaway and fatal blows though. Those suck some major ass in this game.

Yousef

Noob
He wants Baraka's and Johnny Cage's F44 strings to be special cancelable....aye aye yay.....

I mean, that buff would make them even more fun than they already are, but would make them both super dumb.
Honestly speaking f44 for cage is one of cage's weakness ,the string is safe (5-) ,and it's useful to check the opponent at some distance,and it's somewhat useful after the plus frames but if blocked you give up your turn,dead in his face and you're completely under the opponents mercy the opponent can go (grab ,poke ,low/overhead starter ) and Everytime you have to make a hard read , that's why you rarely see it in high end matches
But I'm against making it special cancelable
It's not that important

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
I stopped watching when he said shao s1 needed to be +8 needless to say i kind of expected to hear some nonsense like that he has a pattern

Blewdew

PSN: MaxKayX3
I stopped watching when he said shao s1 needed to be +8 needless to say i kind of expected to hear some nonsense like that he has a pattern
What? He said it should be 7-8 frames on startup, not +8 on block which is a legitimate change since it‘s slow as shit with 9 frames as your standard jab

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
Sonic is normally full of takes not relevant for the majority of the community (kompetitive or not) but he speaks some truth here. Kano's F12 string should be consistent.
Liu def does not need +3, it's sheer ignorance.

He says leave Noob and Kollector alone but that's not fair, as their 3rd variations are utterly totally completely worthless. Give them the Kitana Fan Fare treatment where the variation gets buffed but the base char is unchanged.

The extra strings things is something me and others have said since launch. A slot wasted on extra strings hurts a character by default. Jade, Kano, Dvorah should all have those extra strings in their base kit. The only one I see being OP is Kano's F43 but make it cost a bar of meter like Erron Black's full screen overhead into cancel low, keep it free in Ripper. Be creative.

Last edited:
Sonic keeps claiming that Buluc is S-tier but I just don't see it. I'm waiting for him to pick him up and show us some tech that makes his better than half the cast. Like, he's good, don't get me wrong. Personally, the only thing I would change is allowing him to hold his parry to absorb multiple hits. In an ideal world s3 would be a mid but I'm not crazy enough to hope for that. As it is now there's just a bunch of really bad match-ups for Buluc. I can't wait til he picks him up some time. He says stuff which makes me think that he only theorizes about Buluc. Like he claimed s4 into safe totem is broken but it's honestly pretty rare for s4 into totem summon to be your best possible move in a situation. Its range is only slightly better than most d4 or sweeps and plenty of characters can challenge in that range.

Also, I don't think Sonic was really thinking about every tournament variation. Most if not all characters have at least 1 really solid tournament variation but on the other hand, most characters have at least 1 super-shitty tournament variation.

Last edited:

mrapchem

Noob
Honestly speaking f44 for cage is one of cage's weakness ,the string is safe (5-) ,and it's useful to check the opponent at some distance,and it's somewhat useful after the plus frames but if blocked you give up your turn,dead in his face and you're completely under the opponents mercy the opponent can go (grab ,poke ,low/overhead starter ) and Everytime you have to make a hard read , that's why you rarely see it in high end matches
But I'm against making it special cancelable
It's not that important
You're completely correct about F44's current state. And I agree with your conclusion to absolutely not make it special cancelable. Doing so would put Cage all the way over the moon because the only thing he doesn't have is a combo-starting mid string. It's something he simply doesn't need.

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
What? He said it should be 7-8 frames on startup, not +8 on block which is a legitimate change since it‘s slow as shit with 9 frames as your standard jab
Technically he wasn't specific about which frames in s1 needs to be 7-8 frames. Since startup frames is first he could've been referring to that but either way it doesn't need any changes. It's fine as it is.

Yousef

Noob
You're completely correct about F44's current state. And I agree with your conclusion to absolutely not make it special cancelable. Doing so would put Cage all the way over the moon because the only thing he doesn't have is a combo-starting mid string. It's something he simply doesn't need.
He has mid starter combo you special cancel his f4 for a full combo ( not in show stopper )
So making f44 special cancelable is completely useless
What's the best you can if you special cancel it
F44 ,the second hit is actually a launcher so nutpunch wouldn't give you a decent combo and on block it's unsafe
Rising star is a good choice but you have to spend 2 bars to keep yourself safe on block and on hit you'll get what 15 % other than finishing a match I wouldn't do it
The only use for it is with his two other variations you cancel it with fireballs for plus frames and that's actually not fair for everyone
But if I really want something for him is make f44 12 frames start up instead of 14
I know it sounds stupid but that's what I wish and you don't get what you wish

mrapchem

Noob
He has mid starter combo you special cancel his f4 for a full combo ( not in show stopper )
So making f44 special cancelable is completely useless
What's the best you can if you special cancel it
F44 ,the second hit is actually a launcher so nutpunch wouldn't give you a decent combo and on block it's unsafe
Rising star is a good choice but you have to spend 2 bars to keep yourself safe on block and on hit you'll get what 15 % other than finishing a match I wouldn't do it
The only use for it is with his two other variations you cancel it with fireballs for plus frames and that's actually not fair for everyone
But if I really want something for him is make f44 12 frames start up instead of 14
I know it sounds stupid but that's what I wish and you don't get what you wish
No, I said JC doesn't have a combo-starting mid string. Canceling from F4 itself doesn't count as a mid string.

An F44 string cancel is the exact opposite of useless - it would make Cage completely OD because he would have a long-range, safe mid combo-starting string that is easily hit-confirmed. Currently, all of his current combo starters have some sort of weakness(F344, 12, & F21 all start high and B34 is a slow low).

Furthermore, allowing F44 to be special-cancellable would be even more silly because against characters that get jailed by EX-Forceballs, Johnny would be able to throw out a safe, long-range, combo-starting mid string that can be made to be +6 if blocked.

Sonic knew exactly what he was doing by making that suggestion - making Johnny extra silly in footsies-range.

Last edited:

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I feel like the only thing scorpion really needs is his old d4 back. His crushing blows arent really so great either. The f34 kb is a decent threat but breakaway is pretty much guaranteed after it.

Last edited:
I mean... altering frame data is what the overwhelming majority of balance changes consist of. That and damage changes.
i am for frame data changes but also yeah damage changes, property changes, and maybe some mechanical changes reflective of the game's design specifically the variation system

Error404

Noob
Lmao if NRS gave Cage combos off of F44 , that mostly what he'll end up doing. Atleast currently he has to use most of his strings.