What's new

Question - Erron Black someone exsplain Erron Blacks vortex.

erron blacks vortex ?

• Total voters

regulas

Your Emporer
I'm not sure why you think that.

To me a vortex implies that the opponent is not just being reset but into a particularly bad situation, but this is just the same mix-up he can always do so really is just a reset/setplay. Without back block there just aren't enough possible defensive options in most cases that the opponent might have to make so you can't easily put him in a significantly worse position then if he were neutral.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
To me a vortex implies that the opponent is not just being reset but into a particularly bad situation, but this is just the same mix-up he can always do so really is just a reset/setplay. Without back block there just aren't enough possible defensive options in most cases that the opponent might have to make so you can't easily put him in a significantly worse position then if he were neutral.
It's not really about how hard to guess that mixup that starts a combo that ends in a situation where you can safely apply the same mixup again, it's the fact that there is such combo off "mixup starter". Even if it's 50/50, it will still be technically a vortex.

regulas

Your Emporer
It's not really about how hard to guess that mixup that starts a combo that ends in a situation where you can safely apply the same mixup again, it's the fact that there is such combo off "mixup starter". Even if it's 50/50, it will still be technically a vortex.
Well the thing is that this is mortal kombat, kombo's are so prevalent that being able to readily combo off a mixup isn't really anything special compared to maybe some other fighters which furthers the concept that there aren't really much of true vortex's. In those other fighters the fact that you can combo again is what might make there mix-up worse then neutral but it's still the compared to neutral that I most consider.

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
Well the thing is that this is mortal kombat, kombo's are so prevalent that being able to readily combo off a mixup isn't really anything special compared to maybe some other fighters which furthers the concept that there aren't really much of true vortex's. In those other fighters the fact that you can combo again is what might make there mix-up worse then neutral but it's still the compared to neutral that I most consider.
Vortex is a vortex regardless of how much worse it is for you than neutral game in any given MU of any FG really. It's objectively defined situation.

regulas

Your Emporer
Vortex is a vortex regardless of how much worse it is for you than neutral game in any given MU of any FG really. It's objectively defined situation.
"A situation where one player is continually able to force their opponent to make an unfavorable guess out of a combo or setup, resulting in the opponent getting caught in the same setup all over again."

While in some fighting games this specifically infers getting stuck into a combo, the defining quality is the advantage/disadvantage. In the case of MK where everything is a combo, the advantage takes rgeater presedence on defining something as a vortex or not. Since otherwiese Mortal Kombat with EX everything can be comboed so your definition literally has no purpose in MK.

chemist4hire

I Got Guiled
Someone mentioned neutral jump as an escape option. In MK9 and Injustice, due to many stings having an up input, neutral jump was actually slower than back jump and forward jump. Is this the case in MKX or is neutral jump instant?

Barrogh

Meta saltmine
What's mu?
Matchup.

"A situation where one player is continually able to force their opponent to make an unfavorable guess out of a combo or setup, resulting in the opponent getting caught in the same setup all over again."

While in some fighting games this specifically infers getting stuck into a combo, the defining quality is the advantage/disadvantage. In the case of MK where everything is a combo, the advantage takes rgeater presedence on defining something as a vortex or not. Since otherwiese Mortal Kombat with EX everything can be comboed so your definition literally has no purpose in MK.
That quote you've brought up perfectly defines what's going on in MKX in many, many cases. So I don't see your point.

Just in case I'm unclear: it's not about big combos, it's about cycle of guessing and if wrong, taking damage and being forced to guess again.
Just to be even more clear, initial enabling setup doesn't have to be that same mixup, it just happens that in NRS games (and not just them) it's often some sort of combo that ends in specific ender.

Last edited:

ATP2014

The best mediocre Batman
Just to clarify something, there is no Marvel vortex. You either get hit and die, or it is a reset of some kind.

So I don't have my hands on the game yet, but just to clarify the low starting and overhead starting strings of the vortex are both safe? Or at the very least can be cancelled into a safe special? With no frame gaps in between?

SaJa

FH_FenriR
Vortex is : Verification of the Origins of Rotation in Tornadoes EXperiment

So we are doing a vortex right now on this thread Oo;

iMileena

"I will cut a hole in you"
Noone can exsplain wtf erron black is doing, i beat one who played just like sonicfox and just whiffed his "vortex" by walking backwards. In my opinion jung jin has a vortex also cause if you do 1+1 , you pretty much can do anything vortex wise