What's new

Question - Ninjitsu Some questions about Ninjitsu Scorpion

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Not particularly. You'll probably want to stay away from the corner tbh as Ninjitsu is strongest midscreen. He's actually possibly weaker with the opponent cornered. Less room for them to move and make a mistake. Hellfire is the guy who wants to be in that corner tho for sure.
Fun fact. I end my combos that have corner carry with 212 since it has so much advantage where I can backdash in time to keep my spacing advantage intact

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
The only reason to worry about 214 combo starter in Ninjutsu is only if you are at point blank in the corner, once you get the corner advantage, you can take full advantage of the variation and stay on distance where your d4 hits at max range, and F2 hits always from the priority normals and be safe (disjointed hitbox) to avoid all trades.

To answer myri's questions, i assume a lot of ppl here play mostly online, so their main feedback is that B32F2 is not punishable on block, well, every character with an 11f mid advancing normal will always punish it if they lab up a bit, its not really that dificult tbh, specially when they can use fast advancing specials as reversals
Watch this video, as off like, after 3 games, i think i pretty much got the timing down and i never actually labbed how to punish this and kept trying whenever Smith used on me.

To cover this, instead of doing B32F2 against those players if you don't have a good base for mixing it up, use B121 instead, which deals chip as well and has pushback and its only -1 on block, most ppl will always block low first against scorpion, in order to open this ppl up, you need to be good at delaying B3 and throw ppl out when they think a B3 is coming, and when they think a throw is coming you should be ready for F2 on their whiff.

F2 and B2 can be made safe due the push back, the trick is to hit just the tip of the second blade, everytime you get a max range d4 on hit, it puts them on range where F2 is safe on block.

If you have amazing reactions, you will be able to use more than just B2 for anti-airing full screen, and you will use to whiff punish normals midscreen where F2 and s3 and d4 cannot reach.

Your stagger theory is actually fine, just add this to the mixup:
1. ppl blocking plus pressure is always trying to poke out so:
Throw ppl a lot with scorpion, guaranteed 12% damage can always stack if they're respecting mixups with fuzzy guards trying to figure it out oh/lows on which way to block.
Also s1 is a good poking tool that is +1 on block and you can use it to harass ppl from distances nearly the same as 21 but with the chance to stay out and whiff punish or go in and throw them it keeps them in check.

2. out of tps on hit, you can do more than just B32F2, or F42 for oh/low
Besides throws and full chips with b121 you can also , walk in slowly as if you're willing to throw, its like a give away thing, and when they think "i'm going to poke now to avoid the throws" its usually around the time their hit stun from the telepot passes and they've already checked that you didn't throw them, use B12~ex TP and catch ppl trying to poke out, its on the first video, and is something i personally use a lot to kill poking mashers in this game.

myri

Time Warrior
so what's the optimal combo after I do f4/b4/b3 whatever into spear on a ground opponent. At the moment I'm doing starter~spear, ji2, f2, b2, b2, njp, jk~tp, 11~takedown

TyCarter35

Bonafide Jax scrub
Also what's a stagger? I hear that a lot.,
A stagger is when u don't commit to the entire block string and then follow up with pressing another button. an example would be doing on the 21 which is +2 in the 214string and making ur opponent guess on when they should poke out of it or armor or hold block (214 has a gap in the 1 and 4) so it's one way of playing mind games. and forcing ur opponent to make the choice of whether or not to press buttons

A stagger is when u don't commit to the entire block string and then follow up with pressing another button. an example would be doing on the 21 which is +2 in the 214string and making ur opponent guess on when they should poke out of it or armor or hold block (214 has a gap in the 1 and 4) so it's one way of playing mind games. and forcing ur opponent to make the choice of whether or not to press buttons
Cool thanks

Matix218

Get over here!
so what's the optimal combo after I do f4/b4/b3 whatever into spear on a ground opponent. At the moment I'm doing starter~spear, ji2, f2, b2, b2, njp, jk~tp, 11~takedown
I use the same thing but i end in f2~takedown instead of 11~takedown, probably about the same damage though and obviously the same end result since they both end in takedown

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
When i get a spear first i always do, j2, 214~tp, 214~tp, it does very decent damage, of course you can add if you put a B2 after tp before the second 214 repetition.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
may i add a question?

- are there any noteworthy corner combos?
nah, his corner is all jazz. Just improvise and try to maximize damage and keep yourself out of the corner. But @CrazyFingers already covered it. Try to keep them midscreen, that meta alone will open up your grabs by a MASSIVE margin. Because really, who's gonna throw someone out of the corner?

This is not to say that his corner game is ass. 212 is nice, b32f3, sweep etc are all really scary in the corner too. Just don't use tele combos when they have meter to break. If they don't have meter, keep em in the corner and mix them up with knock downs, grabs on their wake up, meaty s3 and so on. BUT, don't be afraid to throw them out or away from the corner either. Keep them guessing.

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Took him online and did pretty decent, I'm gunna keep at it with him. There's something nice about his simple design and the spacing/poke/throw gameplay he has. Thanks for all your help lads.
Hes a very old school strike/throw mixup character with a hint of vortex with his restand. he's super fun.

@Eddy Wang - can you tell me your though process on using 214Tp 214 tP after a midscreen spear vs using something like 214~TP b32f2? My mindset when landing say b4~exspear is to yes, get damage, but also go for that knockdown. Do you find the knockdown of 214~TP 214~TP to be more advantageous? My go to is as above after a spear, like so - b4~spear jip 214~tp b32f2/b32

Matix218

Get over here!
Hes a very old school strike/throw mixup character with a hint of vortex with his restand. he's super fun.

@Eddy Wang - can you tell me your though process on using 214Tp 214 tP after a midscreen spear vs using something like 214~TP b32f2? My mindset when landing say b4~exspear is to yes, get damage, but also go for that knockdown. Do you find the knockdown of 214~TP 214~TP to be more advantageous? My go to is as above after a spear, like so - b4~spear jip 214~tp b32f2/b32
Is that better than doing a combo that ends in takedown? I usually use (in the b4 example) b4~spear, jip f2, b2, njp, b2, jk, teleport, f2~takedown

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
Is that better than doing a combo that ends in takedown? I usually use (in the b4 example) b4~spear, jip f2, b2, njp, b2, jk, teleport, f2~takedown
I miss quoted my combo. I don't end in b32f3, I end in b32. The hit adv is much higher than takedown. (+23 vs +16) Positioning is different and you may sacrifice a little damage.

I don't usually finish b32f2 as an ender b/c it's only +6. I think the combo you list is like 27%, the same combo ending in b32 is 25. the example I listed is 21% and has usually been the one I lean on in the heat of the moment. I need to maximize my damage better, but I personally like the b32 ender over f2 or 11 takedown. Just depends on how you like to approach oki with him.

Matix218

Get over here!
I miss quoted my combo. I don't end in b32f3, I end in b32. The hit adv is much higher than takedown. (+23 vs +16) Positioning is different and you may sacrifice a little damage.

I don't usually finish b32f2 as an ender b/c it's only +6. I think the combo you list is like 27%, the same combo ending in b32 is 25. the example I listed is 21% and has usually been the one I lean on in the heat of the moment. I need to maximize my damage better, but I personally like the b32 ender over f2 or 11 takedown. Just depends on how you like to approach oki with him.
I would gladly sacrafice 2% damage for an extra 7 frames of hit advantage (unless it was going to kill of course). I'll have to start using b32 as an ender

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist

Not much of a fan of scorpion Oki post double armor buffs, being universal, i don't use oki as much as it was possible to use before this last patch.

The advantage isn't as big but enough to reset neutral, which always work practically on scorpion's favor.

jokey77

Character Loyalist
Not much of a fan of scorpion Oki post double armor buffs, being universal, i don't use oki as much as it was possible to use before this last patch.

The advantage isn't as big but enough to reset neutral, which always work practically on scorpion's favor.
Imho oki postpatch means cross-up jumps. This does work better than ever, if you ask me. Thus the b32-ender sounds like a great idea. It is no hardknockdown though, i guess?

That being said, I am still looking for cornercombos. Please don't tell me to stay out of the corner and don't bother. Doing so is plain retarded. :)

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Imho oki postpatch means cross-up jumps. This does work better than ever, if you ask me. Thus the b32-ender sounds like a great idea. It is no hardknockdown though, i guess?

That being said, I am still looking for cornercombos. Please don't tell me to stay out of the corner and don't bother. Doing so is plain (soap bar in my mouth). :)
i did not say stay out, i said dont get too close to them while you corner them

gam224

The world's least hype player
for the first time in theirs entire lives the ninjutsu squad is on the defensive, ytoon n next down episode to see how they down plah their character P.C. i'm drunk IDGAF what you morons thiank ##regrets

jokey77

Character Loyalist
i did not say stay out, i said dont get too close to them while you corner them
You didn't and you seem like a helpful dude too. This wasn't against you!

I was labbing cornercombos yesterday, but b2 scales so well. It is hard to find anything better than spamming b2.

- f2, b2, d2, f3-spear, jip, b2, ender is fancy. Yet damagewise it doesn't pay off.

- f2, b2, jik, 214-spear is interesting too.

Both Combos are corner specific. Uppercut and jik are like the only ideas I have that wouldn't work outside the corner.