What's new

Some perspective to the Freddy DLC from inside a game industry office

So I work in the video game industry here in SoCal, and when the Freddy video came out - the link to the video spread like wildfire through our office.

Now everyone is saying how they are going to buy MK when they leave work lol. Everyone knows I'm the MK guy in the office, and my training buddies work here with me... We MK players in the office are in this WTF mode, and everyone else is about to head for GameStop to buy the game.

Looks like there is about to be in influx of players. I expect these people will get their fill of Freddy then hit the road though. From what I've seen today, NRS is about to have a huge sales spike. Should be interesting.

Kwon

---->----
As long as they use the resources from that new influx of customers by focusing on the development for Tanya, Tremor, Frost and Fujin for Aug, Sept and Oct, it's all good! :D

Gthunda866

Lazer Eye!
well fuck NRS I don't give a shit about that they are money begging bitches and it now shows they don't give a fuck who they disappoint along the way this destroys everything they have done to make MK better

well fuck NRS I don't give a shit about that they are money begging bitches and it now shows they don't give a fuck who they disappoint along the way this destroys everything they have done to make MK better
I would very respectfully disagree with this.

I am a Producer/Designer of an MMORPG coming out later this year, and have worked on several titles. I can tell you from experience, it doesn't help a game company to cater to a very few and niche group of hardcore players. The casuals are what generate the bulk of revenue to NRS. Trust me... while this is weird and unexpected, this is going to generate tons of revenue. This will guarantee that WB will support both NRS and MK for a while to come. I truly believe this is a good thing for the game and its longevity.

If NRS makes money, WB is pleased. If WB is pleased, MK will keep coming to us for years to come. It's how the industry works. If the only people supporting and paying for MK and MK updates are people on this site, kiss our restored MK goodbye. I think NRS actually made a very smart move here.

-CaliMaestro

I am a Producer/Designer of an MMORPG coming out later this year, and have worked on several titles. I can tell you from experience, it doesn't help a game company to cater to a very few and niche group of hardcore players. The casuals are what generate the bulk of revenue to NRS. Trust me... while this is weird and unexpected, this is going to generate tons of revenue. This will guarantee that WB will support both NRS and MK for a while to come. I truly believe this is a good thing for the game and its longevity.

If NRS makes money, WB is pleased. If WB is pleased, MK will keep coming to us for years to come. It's how the industry works. If the only people supporting and paying for MK and MK updates are people on this site, kiss our restored MK goodbye. I think NRS actually made a very smart move here.

-CaliMaestro
This. The more money means more future MK games with your favorites. It's better then becoming bankrupt. Again.

If you don't want Freddy then DON'T DOWNLOAD HIM.

while i see where ur comin from,im guessing your indie, selling out when they are not hurting for cash is lame they coulda saved this garbage for when mk was really dieng off.

while i see where ur comin from,im guessing your indie, selling out when they are not hurting for cash is lame they coulda saved this garbage for when mk was really dieng off.
Well I see what you mean. I remeber when some people called Midway a sellout when they did MK vs DCU and it's like "no shit there selling out, there trying not to die" which is exactly what happen. But I find it stupid that people are bitching "ZOMG Freddy will ruin MK" and it's like "You know you can choose not to download him. No one is putting a gun to your head and making you. The only thing you can't control is that now you'll probably be fighting Freddy when online".

Really guys? MK is finally back after several mediacore title and NRS is in a way celebratting by making in a sense a fan fiction. I'm sure a lot of MK fans who made stories involving their favorite horror icons are jumping with joy that Freddy is in there.

And again I ask, you don't have to download him so what's the problem?

Kwon

---->----
Living Corpse

The problem is that you can only prevent him online

You cannot choose not to download him during Tournaments, since there WILL be people that will use him, and you will be forced to face him.
There is no avoiding him there.

Lammy

Noob
That's if they were actually 'selling out'. Which they're not, unless you're a whiney little sperglord manchild. Then I could see how your prepubescence might cause you to think they're 'selling out'.

-CaliMaestro
See if you can get the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles in your MMO. I'm sure it'll give you a slight up-tick in sales, even if it alienates the people who strongly support your game. That's good business! ;)

Living Corpse

The problem is that you can only prevent him online

You cannot choose not to download him during Tournaments, since there WILL be people that will use him, and you will be forced to face him.
There is no avoiding him there.

Ah I see now. I wouldn't have known that if you didn't say so because I've never been in any game torrny. I just causl play.

Sentry_Gun

Target Acquired
Stop being such a fucking baby. It's 1 god dam character. NRS is a fucking business they want and need money that's why they made the game in the first place, and it's the reason there gonna make more games.

Theme

Noob
Damn bro you mad? Lol...

I dont support wont be supporting this DLC. I like to keep my MK pure, thats why I never use Kratos. I was dissappointed with this, was hoping for Tremor or Tanya or Fuijin but whatevers. Not THAT big a deal lolz. In all honesty, Rain AND Kenshi have been disappointments for me. I didnt expect anything different here.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
This is all just so shocking, funny and epic in its own way. Its surreal that it ACTUALLy was Freddy after all, its just so funny. Maybe its better this way cause tbh any other char wouldvebeen like "oh hey thats cool" as opposed to my "lol wtf" reaction to all of this.

EDIT after the initial shock of all this I mite just buy him just cause its not actually that big a deal after all, but this announcement was a big letdown for most of us. And just funny, thats the most important thing, it was funny.

Kwon

---->----
This is all just so shocking, funny and epic in its own way. Its surreal that it ACTUALLy was Freddy after all, its just so funny.
LOL yes, and how we laughed over the suggestion of Freddy/Jason before, time to eat our own words now lol! :D

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
NRS needs more money? Didn't they sell more copies than any other fighting game?

I could care less though, I already bought the season pass. This is better than Tanya at least.

VIDA

Focused Grace and Intensity
One more (and hopefully last) thing on this, I never liked freddy as an icon since his crimes were extreme in the movies, esp the remake. So, Idk, I know its fiction but I dont rly like that aspect of it at all. Just saying.

BTW the only guest char I really wanted was Spawn tbh.