What's new

Some initial thoughts on Burning Specter

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
So I thought this variation looked to be complete garbage compared to Reborn or Searing Rage, but I'm not close minded so I'm gonna grind it out. I do think it's his worst variation, but that doesn't mean it isn't useful. I kinda wanna go over from grinding it out the last week what I think Burning Specter offers.

1: Turn steal factor which is huge for Scorpion since he struggles with it in his other two variations.
2: Cancel pressure allows him to keep longer turns which is always good in MK11
3: Much better raw spear damage due to being able to not only NjP launch afterward, the NjP after spear actually does more damage than string into teleport if they break.
4; NjP now allows you to shimmy throws on reads on -4 to 6. Before, Scorpion couldn't read a throw out of -4 to 6 and jump punish it. Now he can. This means b143 into NjP punishes throws which is big.
5: Meterless launching oki after 112 that beats rolls and U3's with the exact same timing. This is also nice since currently in his other variations Scorpion HAS to NjK into teleport.
6: Restand mix and pressure is very oppressive in a way that helps his unbreakable damage game. This variation helps him in MU's where it hurts you that the opponent is always breaking teleport confirms.
7: Higher anti-air/anti-crossup U2 damage. High jump ins that are U2'd can be followed up with NjP, making flawless blocking a bit more worth it.
8: Hits the median damage wise between Reborn and Searing Rage. No buff factor, but the damage for one bar combos is much higher than Reborn or no buff SR.

Curious what anyone else thinks so far?

haketh

Noob
I honestly think that your opinion won't hold much weight considering you unironically believe Scorpion needs buffs.
Not a useful comment whasoever when he's actually going over positives & trying to promote serious discussion Zzzzzzzzzzzz

I've been eyeing this variations cuz I've been thinking about giving Hanzo a swing & this one appeals to me the most. NJP letting you punish U3 & roll with that timing is mad dope & something I need to think about.

Been playing Sub lately, but I’ll check out his NJP. I always thought it was crap though. I’ll hit the lab in a few and let ya know what I find/think.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
He does and so does every top Scorpion player.
If he did get buffs it should only be minor. I'd rather he get hitbox issues fixed first and foremost.
But Scorpion mains saying their character needs buffs won't hold much weight. Nearly every character main feels like their character struggles/needs help from Kitana to Cassie.
If you ask Hayatie how good Erron Black is he will say bottom 5. Does that mean Erron needs buffs? Not necessarily.

Right now in fact many on TYM is stating Terminator is garbage, short range, slow normals that loses to footsie characters and zones 3-7 despite him only being out for a few days and the fact his D4 and F4 are some of the best neutral tools and even outranges Kabals B12 and on top of that he has the best 50/50's, AA(D3) and top 3 wavedash.

I'm glad you made a positive effort on this post I just don't think Scorpion is bad even though some characters can do certain things better than him.
Kotal and Shao may not be the best at really anything but they can win just like other characters.

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I think this is his best variation because it amplifies his strengths at being at range 1. b143 turns into a hit confirmable launcher that on block gives you advantage (b14~MB) and at the perfect distance Scorpion excels at. d1~MB,3 also gives Scorpion a safe way to push people back if they are big into counter poking which also sets up his throw game better after pokes.

The NJP helps in the damage department too like mentioned above.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
I've been primarily using misery blade since it came out. I agree with slips about b143. It's great to have a safe hit confirm that leaves you +1 without losing good positioning like you do in reborn. I've recent been using d1 mb 3 a lot too which works very well.

Hes also got a lot of shenanigans with the cancel and mb3. 11, f42, b1 and etc mixed with overhead. The hitbox on the overhead is pretty crazy. Sin blade is also a great throw punisher as Cheney said. I use it a lot. Restands with st4 xx mb3 are good too imo without losing too much damage.

I dont know if it's the best or worst but I feel pretty comfortable with it in a lot of matchups so far.

Last edited:

ExpectFlames

Lord of embers
Explaining something that is wrong doesn’t make it right
It's his opinion it's ok to disagree but every time this guy post something people pile on him. At bare minimum what hes saying about the character he plays more than anyone else should be heard out. It's some good things in there that are reasonable theirs also some head scratchers but again that's his opinion. Bashing someone without understanding their position is fascist.

DoDaMuSiC

Ermac ftw
Just curious about what you disagree with in the op?
Tbh I didn’t even read this thread at all since I’ve never touched scorpions v3, im just replying on the “omg why bashing cherny” thing because in every single thread of his there’s downplay and misinformation and even if he tries to explain his reasons for it they are just wrong lmao

Chernyy Volk

Wolf lord, footsie bully, chronic corner abuser.
Tbh I didn’t even read this thread at all since I’ve never touched scorpions v3, im just replying on the “omg why bashing cherny” thing because in every single thread of his there’s downplay and misinformation and even if he tries to explain his reasons for it they are just wrong lmao
I speak nothing but factual information on this character. Nobody has actually ever debunked jack shit I've said. The replies are just "NO".

Second Saint

A man with too many names.
I'm actually kinda interested in this variation. It has the style of pressure that I find appealing, while also having the standard Scorpion anti-zoning kit. And the njp, which I hadn't really considered before, seems like a major selling point. Thanks for the write up.

@Chernyy Volk after the nerfs I felt like this variation was hot buns, but it’s pretty decent.

B14 xx MB1 and B2 xx MB1 are really good for baiting and scoring a whiff punish still. MB3 is still ok at +11 on hit, so you get a D4 check.

I just wish MB4 could at least be made safe depending on spacing.

Scoot Magee

But I didn't want to dash
@Chernyy Volk after the nerfs I felt like this variation was hot buns, but it’s pretty decent.

B14 xx MB1 and B2 xx MB1 are really good for baiting and scoring a whiff punish still. MB3 is still ok at +11 on hit, so you get a D4 check.

I just wish MB4 could at least be made safe depending on spacing.
Yeah man, b1, b14 and b2 are all amazing to cancel. B14 cancel into d1xxmb3 works so much, it's great having a safe turn stealing move.

I've been ending a lot of combos into st4 xxmb3. I usually follow up with a f3 and then you can work the frame advantage in a lot of different ways when they respect it. Its especially good in the corner because you can jail into 21.