What's new

Match-up Discussion Solomon Grundy.

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
If we're talking specifically about the Deathstroke matchup:
Shoot moar guns. WC has only 3 hits of armor, and Grundy takes damage while he's walking. Rifle is more than 3 hits, MB guns are more than 3 hits.
This is the first time I've ever had to argue against my own character. DS-Grundy isn't super free but it is in DS' favor. Abuse interactibles and frustrating runaway tactics. If Grundy's within WC range then of course he has the advantage, but fullscreen he can't touch you because all of your guns hit multiple times.
Are you actually trying to usre rifle in this MU?

That move suuuuucks. You do realize they'll cancel out of WC before if knocks them out of the armor right?
And that if you're even a little off on space they can get 4 hts of armor which'll lead into the 4th hit being a trait grab that will make zoning him completely useless right?

In theory, yeah, DS has the options to actually have this in his favor. But a single pain chain which is extremely easy for grundy to get once he gets close (and DS's zoning sucks enough now that this isn't as daunting of a taske as I'm sure we'd all like to make it out to be), it's not out of question that we lose our zoning.

Go ahead and use trait, then enjoy the full screen conversion off Swamp Hands you ate on reaction...
It's one of those MUs that always seems to end with either Grundy looking helpless or DS looking helpless (because eating 50%+ for a bar is hard to catch up with).

I honestly think this is a 5-5 since Grundy has the advantage up close, and a single pain chain makes zoning him a completely useless effort.

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
Serious question: Have you ever played as Grundy against Deathstroke, or played as Grundy at all?

...That when cancelled to shit like trait, can be ridiculous to even attempt to react to.
Here's a hint: You can't react to it. However, you can:
-Guess and Punish (unless he MBs Cleaver)
-Backdash
-Super
-Hit him after his D2
-Not be point blank in Grundy's face where D2 will actually connect
-MB B3/F3

D2->Something is good but it's not as airtight as you make it sound

G4S Silent Jay

I enjoy hurting you.
Serious question: Have you ever played as Grundy against Deathstroke, or played as Grundy at all?

-Backdash
-Super
-Hit him after his D2
-MB B3/F3

D2->Something is good but it's not as airtight as you make it sound
No. I never use grapplers in any game. Not a fan of the play-style at all. But it is a match-up I've played more than any other MU in this game.

Maybe it's because I only play offline, but keeping Grundy out isn't as easy as everyone seems to make it out to be. And me and my teammate who used to main Grundy kind of came to the conclusion that once a defense Pain Chain is completed,the match swings into Grundy's favor since guns do virtually no chip, Grundy can take his time to get in and seriously out damage DS.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer

-Backdash
-Super
-Hit him after his D2
-MB B3/F3

D2->Something is good and it's as airtight as you make it sound

Backdash is not a solid option since it puts you into the korner and is still beat by numerous options. Cleaver, WC, MB Swamp Hands, etc...

Super would be a waste of four bars if he did nothing after D2. It's very high risk.

Hitting him after D2 is not a solid option since he kan kancel it into WC or MB Cleaver or MB Swamp Hands, etc..

It's pretty hard not to be point blank against him when he has MB Swamp Hands to kounter zone, A great dash, and WC which limits your normals. He also doesn't let you jump over him so you kan get out of the korner. It also hits farther than point blank, especially as an Anti-Air.

MB B3/F3 also loses to WC and doesn't punish if he just does D2 by itself.

PS: Being forced to guess after having guessed right is stupid..

LordChozo

Mainless Wanderer
I was playing last night as Grundy against a solid DS player on Hall of Justice (Great Hall). He got first hit, so I started at health and meter disadvantage. Then it was all keepaway. I backed him patiently into the boom tube corner (since I started P1 side), at which point he used the teleport and I had to back him into the opposite corner. I got him into a pain chain then and got the anti-chip boost, but by then was at such a large life disadvantage from a few hits and mostly chip that it didn't matter. He stage bounced out of the corner (out of an anti-wakeup WC) and zoned me some more. I wasn't taking meaningful chip now, but it was just killing time. Backed him to corner, another teleport, and now I'm down life with like 15 seconds left and have to stop playing patient. So I get gunned down.

I'm telling you, a good DS wins this every time unless Grundy gets first hit in.

Jay Rupp

Human Smoke or Riot
No. I never use grapplers in any game. Not a fan of the play-style at all. But it is a match-up I've played more than any other MU in this game.

Maybe it's because I only play offline, but keeping Grundy out isn't as easy as everyone seems to make it out to be. And me and my teammate who used to main Grundy kind of came to the conclusion that once a defense Pain Chain is completed,the match swings into Grundy's favor since guns do virtually no chip, Grundy can take his time to get in and seriously out damage DS.
Nvm you got it too

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

RadicalFuzz

Aspiring Fighter
Backdash is not a solid option since it puts you into the korner and is still beat by numerous options. Cleaver, WC, MB Swamp Hands, etc...

Super would be a waste of four bars if he did nothing after D2. It's very high risk.

Hitting him after D2 is not a solid option since he kan kancel it into WC or MB Cleaver or MB Swamp Hands, etc..

It's pretty hard not to be point blank against him when he has MB Swamp Hands to kounter zone, A great dash, and WC which limits your normals. He also doesn't let you jump over him so you kan get out of the korner. It also hits farther than point blank, especially as an Anti-Air.

MB B3/F3 also loses to WC and doesn't punish if he just does D2 by itself.

PS: Being forced to guess after having guessed right is stupid..

Backdash does lose to several options, yes.

Super would be a very small amount of damage for 4 bars.

Do you know if the armor on MB Cleaver & MB Hands activates before you can hit him? Do you know if you can get B1U2 out and become ungrabbable before WC grabss you? Would B1U2 possibly shut down both options?

You're joking right? MB Hands has 1 hit of armor and every projectile you have has 2. If he hits you with MB SH then Grundy spent a bar on a successful read. If you block, he wasted a bar. His dash and anti-air grab are really good, I'll agree with you. WC limits normals. About hitting point blank, let me rephrase that: His normal grab has more horizontal range than D2. Either way it has crap range compared to the rest of his moves.

MB B3/F3 only loses to WC if you let it go immediately. If you hold it you'll armor through Cleaver/WC/Hands though you will have to be careful of Grundy cancelling out of WC.

PPS: You must really hate actual vortex characters like Batgirl & Killer Frost then.

You haven't played as Grundy at all, then. This conversation isn't going to go anywhere then. Nice raging with you, see you around.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Backdash does lose to several options, yes.

Super would be a very small amount of damage for 4 bars.

Do you know if the armor on MB Cleaver & MB Hands activates before you can hit him? Do you know if you can get B1U2 out and become ungrabbable before WC grabss you? Would B1U2 possibly shut down both options?

You're joking right? MB Hands has 1 hit of armor and every projectile you have has 2. If he hits you with MB SH then Grundy spent a bar on a successful read. If you block, he wasted a bar. His dash and anti-air grab are really good, I'll agree with you. WC limits normals. About hitting point blank, let me rephrase that: His normal grab has more horizontal range than D2. Either way it has crap range compared to the rest of his moves.

MB B3/F3 only loses to WC if you let it go immediately. If you hold it you'll armor through Cleaver/WC/Hands though you will have to be careful of Grundy cancelling out of WC.

PPS: You must really hate actual vortex characters like Batgirl & Killer Frost then.

You haven't played as Grundy at all, then. This conversation isn't going to go anywhere then. Nice raging with you, see you around.

Yes, the armor on MB Cleaver komes out before I kan hit him. D2~Trait even beats reversal Sword Flip.

Ok. Against Deathstroke in particular MB Swamp hands isn't as good. Everything else still applies though. He kan even Walking Korpse into range to punish gunshots with Walking Korpse. The bullets don't do that much kompared to what Grundy gets once he's in. Once he's mid range WCC kan allow him to get in to D2.

He kan also still kancel it into nothing or 112 to blow up MB B3/F3.

RE: PPS: I don't like Batgirl because I think she's pretty scrubby but I don't hate her. Once you guess right against her you kan change the change the tide and she's not as boring as Grundy. Her vortex also requires meter. Haven't played Killer Frost in a while but she didn't get in for free like Grundy..

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
Yes, the armor on MB Cleaver komes out before I kan hit him. D2~Trait even beats reversal Sword Flip.
What? On block punish maybe, but not if DS has invincibility.

RE: PPS: I don't like Batgirl because I think she's pretty scrubby but I don't hate her. Once you guess right against her you kan change the change the tide and she's not as boring as Grundy. Her vortex also requires meter. Haven't played Killer Frost in a while but she didn't get in for free like Grundy..

Batgirl's vortex takes no meter. KF can get in super easy with that safe slide.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
What? On block punish maybe, but not if DS has invincibility.

Batgirl's vortex takes no meter. KF can get in super easy with that safe slide.

What I was saying is that if you block D2, the gap in D2~Trait is not enough to allow you to reversal Sword Flip. He grabs you before you kan hit him.

Safe slide is punishable by jumps and zoneable..

I remember Batgirl's vortex requiring meter with that MB tele.. I guess not. I'm going to learn her now then.

Mikman360

Not the Milkman.
What I was saying is that if you block D2, the gap in D2~Trait is not enough to allow you to reversal Sword Flip. He grabs you before you kan hit him.

Safe slide is punishable by jumps and zoneable..

I remember Batgirl's vortex requiring meter with that MB tele.. I guess not. I'm going to learn her now then.

Misread reversal as wakeup.

Grundy's jump isn't that useful. Zoneable on paper, you try blowing up that slide regularly on reaction, it's a different story.

Batgirl vortex doesn't include teleports at all.

Red Reaper

The Hyrax Whisperer
Misread reversal as wakeup.

Grundy's jump isn't that useful. Zoneable on paper, you try blowing up that slide regularly on reaction, it's a different story.

Batgirl vortex doesn't include teleports at all.

Why did you mention Grundy's Jump? I'd have to play Killer Frost more before I pass full judgement on her.

Well, I'm going to learn her right now. She looks pretty easy.

LordChozo

Mainless Wanderer
Grundy needs alot of buffs :)
I actually agree in part. I think he just needs a way to survive air zoning like GL's down rocket or Hawkgirl's flying everything. I'd love to see a leaping anti-air to mid-screen that does mediocre damage, can't combo, but has one hit of armor. That alone would really help level out what are honestly some of the more terrible matchups in the whole game, including DS (to a lesser extent than some of the other ones).

TIME | KWOLF

Jax 1,2,3 Superman Punch +2
if you're really saying DS the ultimate zoner has any trouble against no projectile, bad against zoning grundy, i insist you go to hell. lol