What's new

Question So what all can Black Adam do?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
Since he's basically confirmed (without official word)... what all can Black Adam do and what do you think his specials will be?

IceNine

Tired, But Strong
Essentially what Shazam can do. I hope to see different usages of lightning and maybe even some grappling to showcase his brutality.

See, in this instance of "oh my god, they're basically the same guys. why have the other one in?" it really can work. What ever ideas they had for Shazam that couldn't make it in could go to Black Adam. Hopefully a super move involving more lightning.

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
^ it fucking better.

Think of Black Adam as a bigger, more ruthless, more savage, brutal, and little bit stronger version of Shazam.

Ideas from me(PS3 controller, sorry):

Bolt: Unlike shazam's tiny rapid fire bolts, Adam throws one bigger, slower, more powerful bolt.

Command grab: Adam grabs the opponent, crushes them with a super bear-hug and electrocuting them with his magic lightning. He releases, they fall to their knees and he boots them(in the face) away.

Rekkas(chain command combo): He does a series of three forward flying punches and depending on what button you press (twice) after the initial hit you get a different outcome. X gets you the standard follow ups, square makes him do overheads, and triangle makes him do low attacks and a sweep. this move would be up to 3 or 4 hits and any follow up besides the standard does not combo naturally and can be blocked if the opponent can tell if you're going high or low. The animations would be fast enough to confuse someone not paying attention and slow enough to be able to spot. Good for mixing up opponents.

Electrocution: a medium-short range attack liken to Sith lightning, Adam shoots out a barage of electricity and traps your opponent in stun for the entirety of the move(think of raidens electric grab move from MK9 except he doesn't grab them). Good for resets. Tapping the attack button shortens the move length, adds damage, and removes reset-ability.

Anti-air: He does a vertical, slightly diagonal, flying uppercut that puts him in a flying state for follow up if it connects. If you press X he flying down-forward and grabs the opponents face, slamming it into the ground below, square makes him fly straight down, giving him enough time to do a combo before the opponent lands, and triangle makes him fly back, giving him space.

Flying attack: Adam does a close to mid-screen long forward flying attack(both arms out and forward, balled into fists) this can be charged to go full screen and add damage.

Thunder clap: Adam does a (slow starting animation) powerful clap that creates a huge shockwave, if it hits it does good damage and sends the opponent flying back, if it's blocked the opponent is pushed back a tad bit.

Jump punch attack: Adam does a small jump that covers a good amount of horizontal range instead of vertical and punches downward at the enemy, this is an overhead. Similar to Paul's mortar punch in SFxT.

Thats all I got right now.

Honestly can't say I've read any Shazam comics, so I'm curious - does he fight differently to Captain Marvel in the comics? I would assume he's more brutal and has no problem with killing people.

JJocelot

Don't give up!
Honestly can't say I've read any Shazam comics, so I'm curious - does he fight differently to Captain Marvel in the comics? I would assume he's more brutal and has no problem with killing people.

That's pretty much it exactly. Same power, but Black Adam is unrestrained. Which could definitely translate to a totally different and cool looking moveset.

I always imagined him having moves where he impales you on his hand or normals where he swats the opponent across the screen like a fly.

JJocelot

Don't give up!
^ Well I hope NRS gets as far as they can with a Teen rating.

And honestly you can push the T pretty far. For instance, Batman Arkham Asylum/City and Infamous seem grittier to me then some M rated titles, lol.

I don't really know Black Adam that well. What is he like as a character in the comics? What are his motivations? If he's more powerful than Superman (similar strengths w/ no weaknesses), and he's a villain, does he ever try and become dictator of Earth himself?

Pterodactyl

Plus on block.
He doesn't really care enough I don't think, he just wants to rule over his own nation. He has a short temper, he's brutal, clever, tactical, and is obsessed with is dead wife(I think thats still I thing).

One thing you need to know about Black Adam, he likes to kill:

When he isn't killing dudes he's just beating the fuck out of them:

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
I go by character appearance and how they play so naturally... Black Adam is someone I'm eyeing up to try first.

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Did you guys see The Return of Black Adam cartoon where there's Superman and Captain Marvel vs. Black Adam, that was epic. Sadly too short imo though...I'm curious to see Black Adam

Arkayne

Jade Mod. Poison Ivy
Did you guys see The Return of Black Adam cartoon where there's Superman and Captain Marvel vs. Black Adam, that was epic. Sadly too short imo though...I'm curious to see Black Adam
I love that movie, also they just announced that he's basically the Jade of Injustice.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
From the SRK Black Adam Playtest:

Black Adam is, in a word, strange. He’s not exactly a rushdown character and yet not exactly a zoner either. He has traps that he can place on the ground, but they are very small and don’t do much for area denial. Instead, I found that it’s best to use these abilities after a combo that ends in a knockdown to set up oki mix-ups.

Adam has a number of electricity based moves as well, which cause a shock hit-state. Shock is one of the many types of special hit-states in Injustice that can increase your opponent’s hit-stun beyond normal amounts. Adam’s bolts are slow, though, and at first glance only seem to be effective as combo extenders. But that’s not saying they don’t have potential, as there’s likely a bit of tech hidden here that will come out with extended experimentation.

One thing I noticed was that Adam’s aerial normals came out at weird angles. He has a downward kick with both legs that hits almost completely vertically, which I found to be hard to connect with on jump-ins. It does have a hit-box on the back that made for some interesting cross-ups, but the arc was so weird that I simply had more luck approaching from the ground.

Adam’s trait button (described at the demo as the “superhero power” button) summons three orbs of electricity that rotate around him, similar to Vergil’s spiral swords in UMvC3 but with a couple key differences. First of all, while they do damage to the opponent on contact, they do not put the opponent into hit-stun. More importantly, they nullify opponent’s attacks and projectiles, making it an amazing tool for getting in on other zoners, especially when used with his aforementioned traps.

I feel as if Black Adam is a character who will take a longer amount of time to accurately nail down. He isn’t a simple character to use, that’s for sure. I was impressed with the unique toolset that he had, but I just couldn’t get it to work with the time I had with him. I’m looking forward to trying him out further when the game releases, if only because his gameplay archetype is so non-standard.

BGMD

Noob
SOURCE (better translation of finish-him.fr impressions)

-He has hair and his traditional outfit.
-very badass character. His win pose is cool, he steps on his opponent while taunting him, raises his hand and a lightning strikes comes down.
-He can summon black clouds during the match to send lightning bolts towards the opponent. He has very quick air dashes and a double jump.
-The author says he clearly is an aerial combatant. He compares his air game to Captain Marvel in MKDC. He has a lightning move like MKDC Captain Marvel that enables follow-ups if the opponent is airborne, a bit like Rain's lightning.
-He has a fast dive kick
-He has an electric ''wave'' move that resembles the psycho crusher.

JJocelot

Don't give up!
SOURCE (better translation of finish-him.fr impressions)
From this description, Adam is sounding better and better. Add in the info from SRK about his trait and other tidbits, I'm falling in love with the idea of Black Adam. He sounds like he's going to be a rushdown beast with some tricky oki game and pressure. I NEED TO SEE GAMEPLAY!

Cruz

Banned
I think he will have a thunderclap and shoot electricity...
They mention he uses lightning traps and his gimmick is that three lightning bolts surround him.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
You guys think he will be the 'anti zoner'. Since his trait has a short cooldown and supposedly nullifies projectiles? Maybe if someone is spamming you, pop it on and you have 3 lightning bolts for free at them, or the greater jump in safety.

So I got to play Black Adam at RFD this weekend and I have to say he was lots of fun. I was very sad the alleged Air dash and double jump were absent(different build? faulty info? command I was too dumb to figure out?), but oh man that dive kick, I mean FOOTDIVE. All stuff her could very well be subject to change of course.

So his moveset is as follows
:d:r+L = Short Range lightning, on whiff he just moves his arms forward but when an Opponent is close enough he gets all emperor Palpatine.
:d:l+L = Summons a lightning cloud directly on the opponent, whiffs if they are air borne. Seems to allow easy combos after a hit, but slow startup
:d:r+M= Lightning Strike, fires a lightning bolt at opponents toes, my opponent said he thought it hits low, didnt get to confirm that(but makes sense). Will go full screen and was my main way of shutting down green arrow trying to zone me. Arrow still zones better. Whiffs on airborne opponents
:d:l+M= Lightning mine, thwrows it to midscreen, during startup you can push :l or :r to throw it at Adams feet or 3 quarter screen. Doesnt have a hitbox until it explodes(3 seconds I think?). Good defensive tool when zoning.
:d:r or:d:l+ H(I forgot which direction it is, didn't find this moves purpose yet, possibly corner combo ender) Lightning cage, Adam punches the ground and lightning forms a cage around him for a moment. Slow move.
:d:l+H(air)= Divekick, now this thing is interesting as it goes straight down, possibly on a crossup you could do this to land in front instead.
:d:r+H(air)= Footdive, Typical divekick pause before it starts but man this thing goes far, think Dooms H footdive not his S one. Ive gotten out of being cornered thanks to it, moves pretty fast once its started. Not sure if safe, but its not easy to punish if it isn't. Also looks like it does enough hitstun to combo after, but I was unsuccesful.

Now on to my first biggest concern while playing him, is that Adam seems to lack a solid antiair(I also tried Superman and Harley, Supes :d+M was classic Uppercut and I think he has an Antiair grab and Harley has upguns so it was weird not to find something).
He does have a :d+M that seems like its an antiair, but it's just him remaing cruoched while he punches slightly upwards.(I didnt find an uppercut anywhere, doesnt mean it might not be a hidden command normal I couldnt find though). Plus side is if you connect it it launches an opponent and you can Super right after(and probably far better combos too, but super was fun.
Downside is it loses to plenty of jumpins so far. His True Antiair might be hidden in Meter burn or some other normal I didn't find. Neutral M Also seemed like a possibility but seemed to lose to a lot as well.

Now on to the Good stuff, this man EXUDES style at every moment. His standing L is an indignant slap as if he was swatting a fly. His footdives and stance and just the nonchalant way he performs most of his specials. Oh yeah and then he finishes his Super with a Bison Stomp :3
His trait starts up real fast, but disappears from the slightest hit, didn't stop any projectiles for me(edit: just saw the raven vs black adam vid, they mentioned the whole projectile nullifying thing, might be an issue in the version I player, if I had orbs on arrow from Oliver would make all 3 disappear and I'd stagger). Made opponents nervous every time I started it though. Once used it comes back after a certain time. You get 3 orbs.
While playing I did the worst while trying to rush down and the best while trying to zone. How ever like I mentioned his strength in zoning has me worried about the lack of anti air as it would be a big help to make him a truly solid zoner as all his specials only hit people on the ground(Wonder woman was real hard to fight, she was constantly up in the air). His super was good for midscreen projectile punishes and just plain fun. His jumping M appears godlike as its a 2 parter, he does a quick strike forward and then a kick behind him. Good for crossup, but not as ambigous as his jump H(looks like footdive but he just follows his jump arc) could be.

Good god this man is fun why isn't it April 19th yet :(

Malec

Noob
hope his trait isnt bugged or anything, saw some vids on youtube, the orbs sometimes disappear if black adam gets hit and the trait didnt do anything.