What's new

So...Reptile...

Enenra

Go to hell.
Zer0Hundr3d
I just picked up Reptile and I really, really like him. He could be described as a jack of all trades, master of none, except his counter zoning is so damn phenomenal. I really do like this character, and there is a reason everyone BUT Reptile players think he is so good. This kommunity, for the most part, downplays their character to the extreme. The best way to gauge a character in MK is ironically not by the people who play said character, but the people who play against it. Reptile is largely considered top 12 by anyone who has an opinion that is worth a shit. He only really has a rough time with Sonya, and it isn't even a 3-7 MU.

My .$02

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
People say he's good because they look at: He has a 6 frame advancing move with no recovery and floating combos

What they don't know: He's slow as hell, bad footsies , that 6frame advancing move is -15 on block , the floating combos have a 26f startup(correct me if I'm wrong) , EN Dash can be jumped/ poked out of , he could be zoned by a few characters.

Meaning, since most of his strings leave him at NEUTRAL, and he's SLOW you have plenty of time to poke between strings or even possible full comb punish.

EX: Playing Cage or Sonya? Block a 321 , guess right , 6f jab into combo. Have fun with your 30-40%

Reptile is a flawed character.Complainers aren't fighting him right.And now that they do, he's fucked.Same for Mileena and Kitana and I'm sure others.

McNasty

Moist.
Reptile was the flavor of the month character just after LAO-sanity people know the match up but it still doesnt mean they will walk all over you. THTB, Showtime are always coming up with new ideas and tools for reptile. I hear cage and sonya are hot right now.

Enenra

Go to hell.
Oh Zero, don't listen to Enenra ... he's going to main Smoke, he just doesn't know it yet. ;)
Ha! This guy right here is pretty funny.
I would if Smoke didn't lack vertical control. I like Reptile a lot, as I've made painfully obvious, but I could easily see myself as a Smoke player... Again.

dribirut

BLAK FELOW
People say he's good because they look at: He has a 6 frame advancing move with no recovery and floating combos

What they don't know: He's slow as hell, bad footsies , that 6frame advancing move is -15 on block , the floating combos have a 26f startup(correct me if I'm wrong) , EN Dash can be jumped/ poked out of , he could be zoned by a few characters.

Meaning, since most of his strings leave him at NEUTRAL, and he's SLOW you have plenty of time to poke between strings or even possible full comb punish.

EX: Playing Cage or Sonya? Block a 321 , guess right , 6f jab into combo. Have fun with your 30-40%

Reptile is a flawed character.Complainers aren't fighting him right.And now that they do, he's fucked.Same for Mileena and Kitana and I'm sure others.
are you kidding me.. You're complaining about reptile.. You might call them gimmicks but they're tools to be used at appropriate times.. He's def top 10 character in the game.. And you say he has horrible footsies? Not really what happens is that some players get used to dashing all the time and good players won't do that.. I've seen sabin and chris g and they have excellent footsies with reptile. I feel like maybe you're using his wrongly... also it's dumb to say using invisible in a string is completely stupid it's very useful when used properly. Just because 32 invisibility is predictable doesn't mean it can't be used sparingly in other strings to
great effect

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
If you feel like you've hit a brick wall, do what I did - don't use elbow dash for a while. I went for a period of over a month where I didn't use it once in a match. Whilst I realise that the character is not viable without it, my footsies and fundamentals are now drastically better and I no longer have the urge to throw it out. Focussing on mixups only will get you past your 'writer's block'.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Zero, bad footsies? That automatically shows you should stop talking lol.

Bad footsies = Quan Chi

Really, it more or less seems you just need to level up.
So what do you do in the dead zone?I've yet to see you play and I got no reference.Full screen and dead zone are IMO Reptile's weakest spots.

McNasty

Moist.
reptile weak footsies? Wtf? You guys are out of you minds who has better? He has one of the fastest walk back speeds in the game and a 6 frame command dash with free oki afterward and thats not even the surface...:confused:

I play reptile because he is hands down the most fun character to play in the game. Which is why I play video games. You want win evo switch characters I guess, but I love him.

Amazing footsies, good pressure. Floating land mines, best punishing move in the game...what more could you want. Playing reptile is like laying freestyle. There are so many ways to play him.

Ppl start complaining after every major about there character because they didn't win. He didn't win because cdjr. Doesn't play him. That's why. He is a very viable character.
Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Briggs8417

Salt Proprietor of TYM
So what do you do in the dead zone?I've yet to see you play and I got no reference.Full screen and dead zone are IMO Reptile's weakest spots.
Reptile is very VERY strong from full screen and his footsies are fucking great, his low pokes are slow, but they are great to use when used correctly. When he has meter reptile doesn't have a dead zone, ex elbow dash and ex fb's make it non existent. He is a fantastic character, top 10 imo, prolly right at 10 though but still. We need to seriously get together as a community and figure out the sonya mu though, I don't even play rep on her anymore, I just pull out kenshi. I'm thinking about using him for mileena now too, prolly only pigs though, his is the only one who whips my ass.

sent from Gotham City via the batcomputer

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Reptile has the best defense and the oki setups since he has several different ways to end things. And god forbid you forget to tech roll, you are in deep shit.

RapZiLLa54

Monster Island Tournaments
Walk/dash speed plays a huge part in footsies, so I also agree that his footsies are sort of weak.
Why his backwards walk is one of the fastest in the game and considering almost all of his strings put you at a distance its very easy to get out of your dead zone and bait jump ins.

How is he weak from full screen? Maybe it becomes more of a bait game when face a teleporter but if they don't have a teleport its not easy to get back in his face. And up close you need to make people respect dash, once they do you can either grab or just do a block string because they have to commit to blocking.

Temjiin

www.mkxframedata.com
I love the 'dead zone'. I walk into maximum dash range and so many players try to jump in, expecting a dash. Free AA fb ftw.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
Dont see why you guys think sonya is a problem for rep. I feel like she has to deal with all hiz zoning. Just bait ex karwheel and shes meterless and has no way around acid balls. Ill post my match between me and morty at FR in a little bit.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Dont see why you guys think sonya is a problem for rep. I feel like she has to deal with all hiz zoning. Just bait ex karwheel and shes meterless and has no way around acid balls. Ill post my match between me and morty at FR in a little bit.
She's one of his harder matchups, but it's not *in Tyrant's voice* free.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
You play footsies lol. D4, 321, f2, forceball, spit, EX forceball, EX dash, etc. Reptile's backwalk once you get past the first step is very good, and his forward walk is great as well. No one is going to realistically counter whatever you can do 100%, and EX dash freezes you up. Using it sparingly works really well.

His footsies are phenomenal.

Not to mention my new love afar with d4 force ball into combo as anti air.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
You play footsies lol. D4, 321, f2, forceball, spit, EX forceball, EX dash, etc. Reptile's backwalk once you get past the first step is very good, and his forward walk is great as well. No one is going to realistically counter whatever you can do 100%, and EX dash freezes you up. Using it sparingly works really well.
Maybe I should just stop playing Reptile like Raiden and stop with the anti-air 1 BS.It's really usefull but sometimes I just make it too obvious.By the way regarding to your other post I DO play offline lol.I'm not basing any of my opinions from online experience.

Thanks for your input Teddy, although the "stop talking" part was unnecessary...you [ban incoming].(lol jk)