What's new

So...Reptile...

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Does he need to be remodelled? It seems the Reptile era is gone.This character either is fleshed out or everybody knows our little tricks.

I'm considering about dropping this character because what does he do that Raiden can't besides being better at offense.And his offense isn't even that great.

So what do you guys think?

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Reptile is unlike any character because he has no gameplan.

The only way IMO to play reptile, is to play like a madman and be as random as possible. He is purely a shenanigan based character.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
Look at the top threats in the game. Sonya is really the only character that even is a tough matchup for him.

If you're playing Reptile on shenanigans, you aren't playing him properly.

EGP Wonder_Chef

Official Quan Chi Nerf Demander™
I'm considering about dropping this character because what does he do that Raiden can't besides being better at offense.And his offense isn't even that great.
I was actually thinking about this recently.

Reptile is better at winning fireball wars though.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Look at the top threats in the game. Besides Sonya and Mileena, he doesn't even do that bad.
It's not that he can't deal with the cast.It's his general gameplay.

Reptile is unlike any character because he has no gameplan.

The only way IMO to play reptile, is to play like a madman and be as random as possible. He is purely a shenanigan based character.
That's the thing, after I started to play a more footsie-oriented gamestyle, Reptile is just meh to me now.Gimmicks could only take you so far.And I think Reptile hit that wall.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Reptile is a perfectly fine character, and is one of the characters that can set the tempo of any fight he is in, very easily, infact, no other character does this better than him, except for Kung Lao.

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Reptile is a perfectly fine character, and is one of the characters that can set the tempo of any fight he is in, very easily, infact, no other character does this better than him, except for Kung Lao.
Then why play Reptile when there's Lao?It's this kind of stuff that makes me wonder.

EDIT: Thing is, I don't have an emotional bonding with Reptile so it's going to be easy to drop him lol.

Although it did hurt a lot when I had to let Subby go due to nerfs.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
That's the thing, after I started to play a more footsie-oriented gamestyle, Reptile is just meh to me now.Gimmicks could only take you so far.And I think Reptile hit that wall.
But that's the thing, reptile has so many gimmicks and can adapt to almost any matchup. During his 321 string so get so many options to use. Most players become predictable and use 321 AH, when they could be going for 321 EXdash, 321 inv, d4 AH, d4 inv, 321 slide, and his 2 f3 1+2 reset gives him a free ex dash making him +5 and right in their face.

Showtime

Reptile/Sonya
I completly agree woth thtb. I play reptile and find new shit out every casual session. Not to mention that certain characters cant do some special moves vs reptile bc hes the only one who can punish them. Kerp the training up and switch up your style. Use invis ppl who dnt play rep will het flusterd. Any other questions let me know. I got some tech ill be showcasing at showdown too

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
But that's the thing, reptile has so many gimmicks and can adapt to almost any matchup. During his 321 string so get so many options to use. Most players become predictable and use 321 AH, when they could be going for 321 EXdash, 321 inv, d4 AH, d4 inv, 321 slide, and his 2 f3 1+2 reset gives him a free ex dash making him +5 and right in their face.
People who do inv in a blockstring is an idiot.Specially if it's at the end of 321.

And I have been playing around with blockstrings lately.I've been doing ChrisG styled blockstrings with 1~3~321 kind of stuff but since 1 hits high and 3 whiffs on low hitbox characters it's hard not to commit because of the fear of getting blown up.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
People who do inv in a blockstring is an idiot.Specially if it's at the end of 321.

And I have been playing around with blockstrings lately.I've been doing ChrisG styled blockstrings with 1~3~321 kind of stuff but since 1 hits high and 3 whiffs on low hitbox characters it's hard not to commit because of the fear of getting blown up.
It's a way to catch people off guard and mix things up, but should be used sparingly.

Yeah, another problem is reptile is SUPER slow outside Elbow dash, and all of his strings beside 321 can be blocked low and punished.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
Look at the top threats in the game. Sonya is really the only character that even is a tough matchup for him.

If you're playing Reptile on shenanigans, you aren't playing him properly.
BTW did any if your matches get streamed? I'd really like to see them:D.

LOL just play better than the player who you play against. Just because a person knows your tricks doesnt mean he can win. Perfecting footsies, pokes, anti air, setups, punish things, reading your opponent and reptile is a force to be reckoned with.

Most people dont know but reptile has a pretty fast walk back speed. That means better ground control
You dont need gimmicks to win

Wemfs

The only morality in a cruel world is chance.
HELL NO Reptile doesn't need to be "remodeled" Reptile is fine the way he is.

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
The only thing I would like to see Reptile players do differently is abuse Invis more often. That has to have tons of potential and be one of the most under rated tools in the game.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
The only thing I would like to see Reptile players do differently is abuse Invis more often. That has to have tons of potential and be one of the most under rated tools in the game.
With the stage selection becoming a factor, Reptile players are going to have to avoid Pit Bottom because of invisibility.

HD Smoke

Noob
i agree invis works so good with smoke it will work just as good for reptile. mk1 reptile = awesome

CJKRattlehead

Two men enter, one man leaves!
i agree invis works so good with smoke it will work just as good for reptile. mk1 reptile = awesome
ex Invis honestly has stupid potential attached to it. I don't play Reptile but if I remember correctly It grants a small damage boost. I'm assuming this also applies to chip so your pressure would not only be enhanced by the other players not knowing what they're getting hit by but also doing more damage on block while building meter. Being invisible also eliminates the other players footsies game. You can't play footsies when you don't know exactly where they are standing.

Derptile

RIP Ex Smash
ex Invis honestly has stupid potential attached to it. I don't play Reptile but if I remember correctly It grants a small damage boost. I'm assuming this also applies to chip so your pressure would not only be enhanced by the other players not knowing what they're getting hit by but also doing more damage on block while building meter. Being invisible also eliminates the other players footsies game. You can't play footsies when you don't know exactly where they are standing.
But if you get poked then it's a waste of a bar.