What's new

So IAJ2 of 113+trait is Dragon's new set up?

Cerbero

Always down for games.
EDIT:

Instant air jump 2 is a MID but why should players get hit by it? could we make it ambiguous enough so J2 lands infront too?

Min 12:13

EDIT:

I get how it works now, i'm an idiot.

Last edited:

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes
Maybe be more specific or provide a video example my dude, I have no idea what you mean even after labbing it. From the post it seems like you mean that the jump 1 will crossup after 113~trait on block, which seems impossible but it would be a mid anyway(normal jump attacks only overhead on way down).

Cerbero

Always down for games.
wait so how does it work? you just do instant j2 and it combo's?
As any other j2 in the game.
113trait is hella plus on block, it makes iaj2 a true blockstring it seems.

Letting go of block after 113 nullifies it, though Adam could make read and do 113 MB cloud db1 and full combo.

Now I'm wondering if you could land infront to make it a true 50/50 cross up.

B2 into db1 does it too but no hit confirmation.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
As any other j2 in the game.
113trait is hella plus on block, it makes iaj2 a true blockstring it seems.

Letting go of block after 113 nullifies it, though Adam could make read and do 113 MB cloud db1 and full combo.

Now I'm wondering if you could land infront to make it a true 50/50 cross up.

B2 into db1 does it too but no hit confirmation.
Why not go with B2~palpatine or B23 if you wanna stay safe?

Even using any other string would make it a 50/50 since you can't duck the J2 so you have to guess between J2 and anything in front

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
this is gonna be a shiiiiiiiiiiiiitshow, but in the best way possible.

i used to hate Black Adam, but now in a meta where the old gods are being picked off one by one, and with Dragon being the CM Punk of NRS and making him hype by default, I can't wait to see this flourish.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Is it character dependent? Because I tested on Catwoman and couldn't get it to happen but maybe I was just mistiming it

Cerbero

Always down for games.
Not to be "that guy" but this was labbed quite a bit 1 month into the game. Dragon just didn't go for the dive kick part of it, which is probably better than what we were trying to do, at least when midscreen:

https://testyourmight.com/threads/jailing-50-50-setup-off-113-trait-cancel-midscreen-and-corner-concept.64268/
Nobody thought it was useful or used at tournaments, def not a big deal just a set up.

This doesn't make Adam OP at all, this tech is not new just unexplored a bit.

Here are Adams weaknesses for those thinking he will be rising to OP status.

Short backdash
Slow backdash
Poor invincibility on backdash (all above makes it hard to impossible to whiff punish advancing strings or gaps within strings)
Slow walk speed
No wake up attack
D2 is decent but loses to strong air attacks
No far reaching advancing mids
F12 is a great whiff + combo punisher but gets low profiled, it can't just be thrown out there on the neutral. Any decent player will reach and publish you.

B12 (trait)is my mid of choice though limits combo opportunities without trait.
D1 into anything in interactable, Making his counter attack game a bit risky.

He's not a zoner, doesn't have the best rushdown tools & he doesn't have the best defensive tools either.

We couldn't say he is an all around archetype like SF Ryu or MK9 Lao.

Adam is strong but definitely not OP.

Cerbero

Always down for games.
The reason why it works is because the j2 crosses up, so if you're holding back to block then the cross-up will make you move forward which means you get hit by j2. If you're holding down then he can mix it up with b2 or instant air Divekick. The mixup is fuzziable but you won't be able to fuzzy every time since he can do it off of 11, 112, and 113 while also mixing in low lightnings/throws.
Why not block standing? j2 is a mid if instant aired so all you do block standing facing your opponent when he tries crossing you up it will be a mid not a cross up.

By blocking it standing you get rid of the b2 mix ups, all Adams could do to mix you up is d3 or throw.

Cerbero

Always down for games.
The crossup switches positions so if you want to block the j2 standing you have to hold forward. Holding forward means you get hit by b2.
but if J2 is instant aired its a mid even if it cross up you can block the same way adam started attacking, I tested it.

Try it, record Adam doing 113trait, IAJ2 all you gotta do is block standing the same way the whole sequence, not need to worry about b2OHs, only d3 and throw. The only way to make J2 a true cross up is if you delay it a bit.

Last edited:

wsj515

This is my billionth life cycle.
Remember that a lot of this stuff with 113xx4 iaJ2 is character specific, both mid screen and in the corner. Its not that it doesn't work for different character sizes, it just works differently between big body, medium, small and female hitboxes. Certain timings will cause cross ups on different body types, certain things will and won't jail, etc.

Tweedy

Noob
Man this guy is downplaying so hard. I just read that blocking high nullifies it. Like, wut? You have to block crouching to block mid both sides, which is suicide vs Adam for multiple reasons. No one is gonna crouch after trait vs Adam, so this is essentially a free combo unless you make a jesus read.

Cerbero

Always down for games.
Man this guy is downplaying so hard. I just read that blocking high nullifies it. Like, wut? You have to block crouching to block mid both sides, which is suicide vs Adam for multiple reasons. No one is gonna crouch after trait vs Adam, so this is essentially a free combo unless you make a jesus read.
Record Adam doing 113trait, IAj2 then playback and block back standing all the time and cross up won't cross you up, it be a mid you won't have to block the other way.

limited english, hope u know what I meant, just lab it.

so if all you need it block the same way standing that nullifies b2 mix ups... not saying is not good just saying.

Last edited:
Record Adam doing 113trait, IAj2 then playback and block back standing all the time and cross up won't cross you up, it be a mid you won't have to block the other way.

limited english, hope u know what I meant, just lab it.

so if all you need it block the same way standing that nullifies b2 mix ups... not saying is not good just saying.
That completely depends on the character. Against batman it will instantly cross up.