What's new

Tech - Sorcerer So, about that Sorcerer variation: Part 2

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Hopefully, people will read what I write this time before they call me a tool :D

So, you know i'm a proponent of MB trance, etc etc. I have been going to my local weekly and getting better and better with Sorcerer, and a few days ago began digging deeper into Chip Aura and its applications, because saving 3 bars and pinning someone in the corner with just the right positioning is not always going to work in most games.

The first combo works obviously from any starter, and anywhere on the stage. 25% combo damage from pretty much all starters, with another 25% chip. This is uninterruptable, and a frame trap against all characters. Cannot be ducked, and only some characters can punish the uppercut. (50% guaranteed from any starter for one bar, with alternative tricks for more :D ). what sets this apart is that your opponent only gets half the meter they would typically get since they gain no meter from chip damage, you gain more meter than normal since they are blocking, and if they take the last hit of MB rune you can combo into more dmg, and if they take the uppercut they take even more.

If you have issues hit confirming and want to land D+2 regardless of whether they take the 2nd hit of MB rune or block it, do a very slight run cancel and d+2 will connect no matter what and still trap.

The second combo is a way to set up the opponent full screen from anywhere with chip aura on them regardless of whether they roll or not. do the skull low enough into the portal and you are very safe and left at strong advantage. if they do not do an armored wakeup (and really, who does wakeups from full screen besides yolo scorpions), you can easily get an extra 15% and more just in chip full screen as you zone them out, and you will also beat any non-armored wakeups with a normal far rune.

I have other interesting things i found as well, let me know what you think of this or if you come up with better ideas that i can try to incorporate, or obviously if this is already known >.>

The second combo is a way to set up the opponent full screen from anywhere with chip aura on them regardless of whether they roll or not. do the skull low enough into the portal and you are very safe and left at strong advantage. if they do not do an armored wakeup (and really, who does wakeups from full screen besides yolo scorpions), you can easily get an extra 15% and more just in chip full screen as you zone them out, and you will also beat any non-armored wakeups with a normal far rune.
nice idea with the air skull BUT... u have to do the air skull after jip very low for 27% and if u fuck it up a yolo tech roll scorpion will punish you, doing b324, 4, trance, jip, f2122, 141 gives u enough time to do the same setup foor 33% and its hard to fuck that up.

The first setup although is pretty nice i wouldn't recommend it on many characters due to the pushback of d2 beeing basically nonexistent on some1 like jax, he can punish d2 with alot of stuff not just dash punch, Raiden can mb schocker punish, cassie can b1 punish, kung lao can run cancel f23 punish and buzzsaw can mb spin punish, subzero can slide punish, scorpion can takedown, kotal kahn can f1 punish punish if he stand blocks etc etc

Just my 2 cents

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
nice idea with the air skull BUT... u have to do the air skull after jip very low for 27% and if u fuck it up a yolo tech roll scorpion will punish you, doing b324, 4, trance, jip, f2122, 141 gives u enough time to do the same setup foor 33% and its hard to fuck that up.

The first setup although is pretty nice i wouldn't recommend it on many characters due to the pushback of d2 beeing basically nonexistent on some1 like jax, he can punish d2 with alot of stuff not just dash punch, Raiden can mb schocker punish, cassie can b1 punish, kung lao can run cancel f23 punish and buzzsaw can mb spin punish, subzero can slide punish, scorpion can takedown, kotal kahn can f1 punish punish if he stand blocks etc etc

Just my 2 cents
I've been doing low air skull cancels for quite some time now, so they are second nature to me and pretty easy to do. I use it for some other things as well. while 1,4,1 gives the same setup, it is nowhere near as plus as low air skull to portal, which is about +8 at least from what i can tell. In fact, if they do not do a wakeup, it is not possible for them to escape the runes, they cant even jump out of it regardless of whether they roll or not so it is a minimum of 15% chip. Right now though, i'm working on concepts for full screen chip aura traps so this is just my preliminary idea

As for the first setup i feel like the chip is surprising, 5 blocked hits for 25% is high. while there are other choices besides uppercut that still trap, i would take that all day and accept any punish where the opponent cant really get a combo string. I would take 50% against sub zero every time if all he can do is a 10% slide IMO

Edit: In any case, just throwing out my initial findings to see if it inspires anyone or if it gives anyone ideas i might be overlooking

Last edited:

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
But the D2 hits high??
It shouldn't do to the block stun of the EX Rune.

Gustav this is really good stuff. I've liked the uppercut from chip aura for a while. Especially since we don't have any safe block strings aside from F212. I'll mess with the air skull thing. I haven't really played with it.

ImmortalSkillit

SteeevRay
So...after watching this, then coming back and re-watching it again after mulling it over at work, is this method (other than breaker) pretty much guaranteeing that on any combo starter, you can net roughly 40-50% overall using chip aura?

...why am I still using warlock?!

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Another thing I like about this is that if you think they're gonna respect you after the Ex Rune, you can go for a crossover and significantly increase your damage. Like to 65%, and you can do it starting with less than 1 1/2 bars.

So...after watching this, then coming back and re-watching it again after mulling it over at work, is this method (other than breaker) pretty much guaranteeing that on any combo starter, you can net roughly 40-50% overall using chip aura?

...why am I still using warlock?!
yes everytime if u end with an uppercut which i wouldnt't recommend on characters with fast and long ranged punishers that can deal 40-45% with it Ala Sun god kotal kahn or jax

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
yes everytime if u end with an uppercut which i wouldnt't recommend on characters with fast and long ranged punishers that can deal 40-45% with it Ala Sun god kotal kahn or jax
This is one of those things that will be great for closing a match IMO. B3, F2, and B2 Ex Rune ALL lead to 50% this way. And 50% is a great way to kill.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Another thing I like about this is that if you think they're gonna respect you after the Ex Rune, you can go for a crossover and significantly increase your damage. Like to 65%, and you can do it starting with less than 1 1/2 bars.

Mayo is correct, but if you decide to go for this you should always do your crossover punch with 2 instead of 1. reason being is that if your opponent tries to get away by letting themselves get hit by the second hit of MB rune, J+2 will allow you to convert to B+2 Trance for another 40% and repositioning them back over the chip portal. J+1 will whiff the majority of the time unless you do it super early, and J+2 allows you to hit confirm.

KillaGthug4Life

Believe in Magic yet? Let us Dance
I've seen several videos and posts about how good Sorcerer Quan is.. yet I have not seen any Sorcerer Quan in major tournaments...? Honestly this character seems to be insanely good once he opens you up with dope chip and armor set ups. I'd hope to seem more of him later on as the game develops.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Mayo is correct, but if you decide to go for this you should always do your crossover punch with 2 instead of 1. reason being is that if your opponent tries to get away by letting themselves get hit by the second hit of MB rune, J+2 will allow you to convert to B+2 Trance for another 40% and repositioning them back over the chip portal. J+1 will whiff the majority of the time unless you do it super early, and J+2 allows you to hit confirm.
Didn't think of that. Very nice.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
I also wanted to throw this out there in case some of you dont mind burning two bars (a lot of people dont like 2 bar combos which is why i didnt post a video on it). Exact same combo, but after the portal, do D+3xxMB rune, 4xxMB rune, D+2 = does 62%, frame trap, works on all characters mid screen

like mayo said, good way to close out rounds :p

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
I also wanted to throw this out there in case some of you dont mind burning two bars (a lot of people dont like 2 bar combos which is why i didnt post a video on it). Exact same combo, but after the portal, do D+3xxMB rune, 4xxMB rune, D+2 = does 62%, frame trap, works on all characters mid screen

like mayo said, good way to close out rounds :p
I'll see your setup, and i'll raise you!

Chip aura, D3, 1 Rune, run 14 Rune, D2. This is escapable on a crazy read it they try to armor standing 1 Rune, but all this keeps them just inside the portal.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
I've seen several videos and posts about how good Sorcerer Quan is.. yet I have not seen any Sorcerer Quan in major tournaments...? Honestly this character seems to be insanely good once he opens you up with dope chip and armor set ups. I'd hope to seem more of him later on as the game develops.
I'm not exactly the greatest player (too old, my reflexes arent as good as they used to be) but when i play locally here against Yung Bacon, AOK Ryan, Lindon, and the other good players we have i win sets :D

When Tampa Ranbats gets a stream up hopefully you guys can watch me and critique

Hopefully, people will read what I write this time before they call me a tool :D

So, you know i'm a proponent of MB trance, etc etc. I have been going to my local weekly and getting better and better with Sorcerer, and a few days ago began digging deeper into Chip Aura and its applications, because saving 3 bars and pinning someone in the corner with just the right positioning is not always going to work in most games.

The first combo works obviously from any starter, and anywhere on the stage. 25% combo damage from pretty much all starters, with another 25% chip. This is uninterruptable, and a frame trap against all characters. Cannot be ducked, and only some characters can punish the uppercut. (50% guaranteed from any starter for one bar, with alternative tricks for more :D ). what sets this apart is that your opponent only gets half the meter they would typically get since they gain no meter from chip damage, you gain more meter than normal since they are blocking, and if they take the last hit of MB rune you can combo into more dmg, and if they take the uppercut they take even more.

If you have issues hit confirming and want to land D+2 regardless of whether they take the 2nd hit of MB rune or block it, do a very slight run cancel and d+2 will connect no matter what and still trap.

I have other interesting things i found as well, let me know what you think of this or if you come up with better ideas that i can try to incorporate, or obviously if this is already known >.>
Awesome stuff, man. Keep it coming) dat uppercut although unsafe does 10.something%?! Will 141 instead do less?!

Lt. Boxy Angelman

I WILL EAT THIS GAME
He is...the Most Interesting Sorcer InThe World.

I don't always drink souls. But when I do...I prefer Dos Woolays.

Stay spooky, my friends.

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
Awesome stuff, man. Keep it coming) dat uppercut although unsafe does 10.something%?! Will 141 instead do less?!
10.5% chip with uppercut. using something else is less effective, plus the natural movement of most moves will move them out of the portal. He's already unsafe on most things, so why not use the uppercut's amazing chip to closeout rounds if you're gonna be unsafe? plus while some characters can punish, many characters the uppercut is safe against due to the pushback and blockstun. Mileena, for example, cant do anything at all and has to just take it to the face :p

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Interesting, I knew about uppercuts chip damage but did not think about the ex rune jailing them into blocking it. Pretty cool, I'll definitely use it. I usually go for a cross up punch to keep it going midscreen but this should be good if I just want raw guaranteed damage.

As for the fullscreen chip setup, can't they roll and potentially run or use a special and get out?

Gustavness

The Tech Whisperer
As for the fullscreen chip setup, can't they roll and potentially run or use a special and get out?
armored wakeups, yes. if you do the low skull correctly, whether they roll or not you can still get runes out before they can do anything. you can beat most normal wakeups as well.