What's new

General/Other Smoke patch changes

Synraii

So Salty...
Ok, so I haven't been on mortal since before the patches began due to a series of SC4 events I was training for.
Can somebody fill me in on every change made to smoke in the patches that they know about - and why do I now have MK2 Smoke (I'm not complaining, just slightly confused)

SZSR

Noob
Ok, so I haven't been on mortal since before the patches began due to a series of SC4 events I was training for.
Can somebody fill me in on every change made to smoke in the patches that they know about - and why do I now have MK2 Smoke (I'm not complaining, just slightly confused)
No more OTG Smoke bomb combos.
You can do untechable damage with :en Smoke bomb for 10% if you try to follow up off the ground
Faster recovery on whiffed Teleport punches

That's about it.

Wildabeast

The Bat in the Hat
I believe Smokes overall damage output got nerfed slightly in addition to the OTG Smoke bomb removal, and yes he still smokes on my PS3.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Smoke never needed his NO METER otg from an air throw, the fact that could nail 50% combos starting with an Air Throw, and using no meter was a joke. At least now his high damage combos require a smoke player to have a slight grasp of meter management, which was clearly not the case in the past, there has to be more to a good character than combos, meter management has to come into play for your win at some point. You have to play him without the desire for huge combos. Although, I have a 50% Legit OTG combo that does not reset the opponent.

JIP, :fk:bp, :l:bp:bk Smoke Bomb, :fk:d:fp:bp, :r:bk:en Smoke Bomb, the combo without the EH smoke bomb is 40%, which also allows you to chain in :en Invisibility, and the :en Smoke bomb will hit the opponent as he is rolling on the ground, not from a laying down state, he will still be moving. My own combo, I have not seen anyone do this yet, I thought someone would have discovered this exact string before me and made it publicly his major B&B. Try it for yourselfs.

TONY-T

Mad scientist
Smoke never needed his NO METER otg from an air throw, the fact that could nail 50% combos starting with an Air Throw, and using no meter was a joke. At least now his high damage combos require a smoke player to have a slight grasp of meter management, which was clearly not the case in the past, there has to be more to a good character than combos, meter management has to come into play for your win at some point. You have to play him without the desire for huge combos. Although, I have a 50% Legit OTG combo that does not reset the opponent.

JIP, :fk:bp, :l:bp:bk Smoke Bomb, :fk:d:fp:bp, :r:bk:en Smoke Bomb, the combo without the EH smoke bomb is 40%, which also allows you to chain in :en Invisibility, and the :en Smoke bomb will hit the opponent as he is rolling on the ground, not from a laying down state, he will still be moving. My own combo, I have not seen anyone do this yet, I thought someone would have discovered this exact string before me and made it publicly his major B&B. Try it for yourselfs.
i discovered it too. i have a 54% one. i also have managed a 57% 2 bar midscreen. i just hope i can get my new capture card soon so i can finish my vid.

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I would apreciate His ex Smoke bomb to otg. That could put smoke over the edge.
I would also like for Ex Smoke away in the corner to make you appear on the other side that would be pretty cool and would add to his I can escape everything persona

MKF30

Fujin and Ermac for MK 11
Smoke's patch means little, he doesn't even need his OTG's honestly, considering he still had nice mid 30's % damage-40%+ with a few bars or one bar of meter.

I also love managing his invisibility and turtling, you will confuse the hell out of people lol

His full midscreens do 42% with jip no meter, full corners are 44% no meter. That's plenty. Smoke's perfect the way he is, although I wouldn't complain about any buffs either ;)

kandehbar

The Gryphon
I know he dont need it but still having it would be boss. but thinking about I kinda like playing an S tier character with everyone thinking his A

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
original OTG smoke bomb removal was an unnecessary nerf. I'm pretty sure it was removed because it was unintentional; it was not OP. But, whatever, I'm not annoyed about that. Also, the most damage you could get off a naked jump kick pre patch was mid 30s, not 50+.

There are multiple characters that can do that and more off of a naked jump kick. Sektor, Kabal, and Kitana off the top of my head. There are probably more too.