What's new

Guide Smoke Guide Feedback

G4S KT

Gaming4Satan Founder
It's supposed to be due to a training dummy glitch.

Is it also possible to block the smoke bomb after j.kick-airthrow on a grounded opponent? Smoke hits the ground much more quickly and they are still in the animation of bouncing up off the floor when the bomb connects. I would test this right now rather than ask, but won't be able to until monday...

SMOK3

Noob
Hmm well, I asked konqrr in youtube (before I asked here) and he told me this:

"I figured it out. Air throw must be done closer to the ground and timing is strict"

So yeah, I'm kinda confused. If only I owned a console and could test this shit out... damn. Tom, care to try what Konqrr said? :)
What he means is if your to high in the air and do airthrow the otg won't work because the opponent has already bounced off the ground before Smoke was able to do smoke cloud and if you do, do a airthrow closer to the ground you've got to time the smoke cloud just right. The only time I know for sure the otg will work is if you do it in the corner with 2,1,4 smoke cloud it's also probably the easiest.

has smoke any corner mixup tactics? because most of his combos ending in jump kick xx teleport punch, done from about mid screen, get my opponent cornered, but i rarely can capitalize on that.

REYTHEGREAT

I have a tactic where whenever I knocked down the opponent, I use his teleport(not the one the punches the opponent)to get behind as he get up and grab him or jump over and start another combo. make sense? I gotta try it on a human player.

SZSR

Noob
I'd like to point out one thing, the regular unenhanced smoke bomb is actually called "Smoke Cloud". Just something I noticed.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
No it isn't lol. I just did jk xx air throw [set dummy to always block], smoke bomb and it still worked.
The dummy blocking settings are sometimes messed up, but Smoke indeed does get a free smoke bomb after a low JK xx air throw. I confirmed this by testing with two controllers. The timing is pretty much as soon as you land...not truly difficult but does take a few reps to figure out. It only works on a low air throw. It works because everytime the opponent bounces off the ground, they're airborne. So it's a viable tool.

Hopefully it does not get removed. It does make Smoke a little more interesting. If anything does get changed, I would honestly just suggest that they make the gravity scaling higher after the smoke bomb so that 3d12, JK xx air throw isn't possible after, and only JK xx air throw. Smoke still ends up with fairly good meterless damage if they did that (38% to be exact).

Nah, keep the OTG combos but lower the damage on smokebomb. I wouldn't mind that because smoke bomb already sets you up for a free combo. The OTG combos actually make him interesting.

i had like a 6 hours session last night and used smoke the whole time against my friends and was doing pretty good.
i found a couple of set ups and were landing his ridiculous combos
had a lil trouble with the smoke cloud otg combos once in a while

his jump kick to air throw is so ridiculous since if you hit it low enough you can smoke cloud otg them for a 3, 2 jump kick air throw

im waiting for them to find the max damage combos so i can start doing them
smoke is a god like character and i just started playing this game

REYTHEGREAT

i had like a 6 hours session last night and used smoke the whole time against my friends and was doing pretty good.
i found a couple of set ups and were landing his ridiculous combos
had a lil trouble with the smoke cloud otg combos once in a while

his jump kick to air throw is so ridiculous since if you hit it low enough you can smoke cloud otg them for a 3, 2 jump kick air throw

im waiting for them to find the max damage combos so i can start doing them
smoke is a god like character and i just started playing this game
Yea the jump kick grab smoke ball it's pretty nice. That's an easy 38% with 3,2, jump kick grab if timed correctly. But it's not that easy connecting the smoke bomb after the jump kick grab lol

Won

Noob
I haven't been able to connect the smoke bomb afterwards to keep the combo chained but I've been able to connect it to get 2 20-29% combos. Still effective i suppose

XDest

Noob
I haven't been able to connect the smoke bomb afterwards to keep the combo chained but I've been able to connect it to get 2 20-29% combos. Still effective i suppose
You need to be lower to the ground when hitting the air grab, then do the smoke bomb ASAP. The earlier you are in the combo, the easier it is to time.

XDest

Noob
XDEST!!!!!
Hello Mr. Brady, long time no see!

btw, I've got a few random questions/thoughts for the rest of you guys:

- What's smoke's best anti-air? Right now I've just been using uppercuts and my own jump-ins, but unless the distance is right, that's not a great plan.
- Is TK teleport punch unsafe on whiff? I was messing around, and an opponent I faced earlier had problems with doing anything about it.
- What's the best mixup options after forward smoke? I've usually been doing j.1, or b.4, f.4 or throw. It seems that forward smoke is very good vs zoners, although you have to watch out for certain things like Sektor's flamethrower.
- Is whiffed teleport punch after an air grab a good way to get close to do oki? I've been having some pretty good success with it lately. Man, is Smoke's b.2 overhead fast.
- What are some other good oki/reset setups we can do? In the long run, these types of things benefit in any fighter.
- What is Smoke's best ranged poke? I've been using f.4, but I'm sure there's better options. I don't know if it's even needed with all the ways Smoke has to get in vs. zoners...
- Smoke's combo starters are:
- 3, d+1, 2
- 3, d+1, smoke cloud
- j.1, 3, d+1, 2
- b.2, 4, smoke cloud (enhanced needed in corner)
- b.2, smoke cloud
- 2, smoke cloud
- (corner) 2, 1, 4, smoke cloud
- low to the ground j.4, air throw, smoke cloud
Anything I'm missing?

Zebster

How's my volume?
Although it's impossible in a real match due to meter constraints, it seems like Enh. Vanish makes Smoke's Xray come out a little faster than usual. I'd need another person to test this though. Not useful by any means but it would be an interesting quirk if true.

I've head varied success with 2 as an anti air, although this was online. See if it works better for you offline if you are able too. You can see my anti air combo in the other thread.

In terms of mixups he doesn't have any low starters, so your best bet is b4 and throw if they grow to respect the overhead.

I want to see if you can use 2 xx smoke bomb to catch any counter pokes any time you have advantage. No frame data, but 2 seems like a pretty fast move that can combo into smoke bomb.

No low starters? Dang, everyone blocks high against me and I was looking to take advantage of that. Also, what are the best options to poke away at a good speed? Every time I try to start poking, I get counterhit because my moves are too slow... I usually start with 3, d+1, 2.

water

Noob
Hello Mr. Brady, long time no see!

btw, I've got a few random questions/thoughts for the rest of you guys:

- What's smoke's best anti-air? Right now I've just been using uppercuts and my own jump-ins, but unless the distance is right, that's not a great plan.
- Is TK teleport punch unsafe on whiff? I was messing around, and an opponent I faced earlier had problems with doing anything about it.
- What's the best mixup options after forward smoke? I've usually been doing j.1, or b.4, f.4 or throw. It seems that forward smoke is very good vs zoners, although you have to watch out for certain things like Sektor's flamethrower.
- Is whiffed teleport punch after an air grab a good way to get close to do oki? I've been having some pretty good success with it lately. Man, is Smoke's b.2 overhead fast.
- What are some other good oki/reset setups we can do? In the long run, these types of things benefit in any fighter.
- What is Smoke's best ranged poke? I've been using f.4, but I'm sure there's better options. I don't know if it's even needed with all the ways Smoke has to get in vs. zoners...
- Smoke's combo starters are:
- 3, d+1, 2
- 3, d+1, smoke cloud
- j.1, 3, d+1, 2
- b.2, 4, smoke cloud (enhanced needed in corner)
- b.2, smoke cloud
- 2, smoke cloud
- (corner) 2, 1, 4, smoke cloud
- low to the ground j.4, air throw, smoke cloud
Anything I'm missing?
--- Anti-Airs: 2/ d2/ b4/ j.K/ nj.P imo are his best options depending on angle, distance and timing of incoming jumper. Everything besides d2/b4 lead to AirThrow, SmokeCloud combos.
2/ d2/ j.K/ nj.P will force them to react with an early attack, while b4 will punish anything but the deepest jump-in attacks. This creates a nice guessing game for jump-ins. Of course, DiveKicks/Air moves change all of this.
If you have enough time you can SmokePort Forward or Back to reposition. If have less time and have meter to use, you can ExShake to counter attacks, or ExSmoke port to reposition.

--- TK TelePunch/ground Telepunch: Both are punishable on whiff. They can both be naked ducked under and punished harshly, but most people block on reaction instead of naked ducking. If you TK Telepunch high enough to barely whiff standing block, the opponent tends to wait needlessly for the second part and bounce. If they do not react fast enough, I just land and throw.

If you do Telepunch enough times they will catch on and start naked ducking it to punish you with uppercuts or full AA combos. I mostly avoid using TelePunch and hope they forget I have it, then use it when they least expect it. If opponent's back is in the corner, I look for an opportunity to land this:

--- Corner TelePunch Combo: qcb4, d1~qcb2, ff, pause, 32, 32, 214~d,u3(+BL) 28-31% (cannot remember exactly)
This allows you to continue with close range mixups/pressure while Invisible/EXInvisible [EVIL][/EVIL]
Inspired by Fenixy's post in the Smoke Combos! Thread (Thanks!): http://testyourmight.com/forum/showthread.php?3989-Smoke-Combos!

--- Oki Options: I prefer Forward SmokePort after Airthrow combos to position closer. I like it better than TelePunch repositioning and SmokeCloud Finisher since it opens more options. After the port, jump over to j.P to chains and mixups. I like crossups since they reverse wakeup commands. Or you can just stay on the same side and do other wakeup mixups: b4, b2, Throw, SmokeCloud, etc.

--- Pokes: I like to poke with b4 or b23~qcb2. They have the best range of his normals, are pretty fast, safe on block, and force an immediate blocking decision: part of the reason I love Smoke!

--- Random Notes:
--- B&B Combo: j.P~3d12, j.K~AirThrow, otg qcb2, ff, 3d12, j.K~AirThrow 49ish%?
To connect the jk~air throw to otg qcb2, delay the jk~air throw to connect on the way down After the apex of the jump! I read that doing it lower would help. I read that as "do it as fast as possible after the launch", but it is the opposite! You can also add a nj.P before the first jK~AirThrow for about 2-3% more damage.

B&B Combo w/Notes: j.P~3d12 (JumpForward and Wait), j.K~AirThrow (Low to the Ground, on the way down), otg qcb2 (Buffer in air, hit 2 asap when landing), ff, 3d12, j.K~AirThrow

--- Not sure why this was not mentioned, but unless training mode is wrong (which is possible) the Second hit of 3d12 is Overhead! Disclaimer: I have not tested this with human blocking.

--- d3 and d4 are both low and special cancellable. You can cancel to SmokeCloud to check for retaliation and get the +1 frame advantage after the low poke if blocked. d4~qcb2 is a nice low poke when you do not want to b4 sweep to ground them.

--- Imo the only thing Smoke is missing is a fast punishing combo starter and maybe a low combo starter (can't have it all =)). If 2~qcb2 works that might be the best he has, but the range is short horizontally. I wish I had Frame Data!

I hope this helps. 2nd post on TYM, but I have been scouring the internet for info since MK9's release, and this is the best place for it.

Thanks to all for sharing such helpful info!

Hey guys, just wanna inform ya'll that i've found some new safe-jump/safe-sweep (?) setups with our favorite ninja, very helpful! I'd like to elaborate but..I might just wait till this weekend and put out a video, while I take this week to perfect and experiment more with this ^_^