What's new

Guide Smoke Guide Feedback

SMOKE:

BEST NORMALS:
*:fp:fpHIT LEVEL:H,H - 2 jabs with decent range. advantage on hit. safe on block.

*:fk:bpHIT LEVEL:M,M - safe 2 hit launcher.

*:fk:d+:fp:bpHIT LEVEL:M,M,M - safe 3 hit launcher

*:l+:bpHIT LEVEL:M(overhead) - safe mid overhead so it must be blocked standing.

*:r+:bkHIT LEVEL:M,M - double kick that knocks the opponent across the screen. safe on block.

*:l+:bkHIT LEVEL: L - one of the fastest if not the fastest sweep in the game.

SPECIALS:
*Air Throw:)fp+:fk while in air)HIT LEVEL:Air - throws air borne opponents to the ground. has priority over other air attacks. if you do an air throw and the opponent does not leave the ground the air throw animation comes out anyway and you are vulnerable on the way down and right as you land.

*Smoke Bomb:)d:l+:bp)HIT LEVEL:Special L - hits special low meaning it can be blocked standing or crouching. on hit the opponent disappears in a cloud of smoke then appears in front of you dropping from the air to be juggled.

*Teleport Punch:)d:l+:bk)HIT LEVEL:M - the fastest teleport punch in the game goes to Smoke. on hit it knocks back. on block is punished by combo of choice.

*Smoke Cloud Teleport Forward and Backward(forward = :l:r+:fk backward = :r:l+:fk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - Smoke disappears into a smoke cloud and moves forward or backward, think akuma's teleport from SF. can be hit by all normals and specials on startup. once in the cloud form Smoke is invulnerable to normals for a few frames as well specials except for ice clone. when coming out of the cloud Smoke is also for a few frames can block as soon as he reappears from the cloud.

*Shake:)l:r+:fp)HIT LEVEL:N/A - Smoke goes into a shake and counters all projectiles. no matter when he counters, regardless of the opponents recovery on the projectile, his counter always hits. you can hold the shake by holding :fp.

*Invisibility:)d:u:fk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - Smoke turns somewhat invisible for a few seconds. you will re appear if hit or if you block an attack or after a few seconds. also, if you time invisibility vs a projectile so that just as the projectile makes contact as you turn invisible, you will go through the projectile.

:en MOVES:
*:en Smoke Bomb:)d:l+:bp+:blk)HIT LEVEL:Special L - same result as the standard smoke bomb but now it has a larger hit box.

*:en Teleport Punch:)d:l+:bk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:M - does more damage and splats the opponent next to you.

*:en Smoke Cloud Teleport Forward and Backward(forward = :l:r+:fk+:blk backward = :r:l+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - travels farther and can not be hit by normals or specials and even goes through ice clone. when coming out of the cloud Smoke can block right away.

*:en Shake:)l:r+:fp:blk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - Smoke goes into a shake and counters all projectiles and all normals except for generic down pokes. will not work vs all specials that are non projectile such as Raiden's electric fly. you can hold the shake by holding :fp.

*:en Invisibility:)d:u+:fk+:blk)HIT LEVEL:N/A - Smoke is now completely invisible. also, if you time invisibility vs a projectile so that just as the projectile makes contact as you turn invisible, you will go through the projectile.

STRATEGY:

Using Shake:
First and foremost, Smoke is the BEST anti zone character in the game. his shake punishes projectiles so hard that they can become almost useless to even try vs him. the :en shake is great vs cross up jump in attempts or as a wake up attack. :en shake is also great when being pressured.

Advantage on Hit Follow Ups:
the best follow up options are cross over jump in, NJ:fp/:bp if the opponent tries to cross up jump in, sharp jump kick~air throw in if they jump with an attack, or :d:fp which over time you will find is the worst option. if the opponent is being read and punished and decides to block then weep/:l+:bp~smoke bomb mix up, throw, or :fk:d+:fp:bp.

Teleport:
on wake up you can use :en teleport to get up safely and get space. also, when being pressured :en teleport works as a get out of pressure free card because its invincible from start up and goes through everything. in the neutral game smoke can use either teleport to go forward or backward, which version of teleport is used here depends on the situation and how much ground you need to cover/retreat to.

:en Invisibility:
no, you cant do this mid combo umk3 robo smoke style but you can do it after any knockdown or your throw. :en invisibility makes smoke completely invisible and comes in handy for when you have knocked your opponent down and they are cornered. also, if you time invisibility vs a projectile so that just as the projectile makes contact as you turn invisible, you will go through the projectile.

Unbreakable:
smoke bomb then air throw is 100% unbreakable.

Smoke's :x:
like all :x attacks, yours is also unbreakable but its the same startup as your VERY fast teleport punch so its an unbreakable 33% anti zoning :x.

Smoke Bomb in Juggles:
as many of you will notice, doing smoke bomb in juggles can be a real pain. this is where :en smoke bomb comes in. it has a bigger hit box making it easier to connect on a juggled opponent.

Smoke Bomb as Wake Up:
after an air throw connects you can check the opponent with a smoke bomb. they cannot do anything but block or do an invincible wake up attack, anything else gets them hit by the bomb.

COMBOS

STANDARD COMBOS:
1. jump kick~air throw

2. smoke bomb, air throw

3. smoke bomb, jump kick~air throw

4. :fk:bp, dash :fk:d+:fp:bp, jump kick~air throw

5. :fk:bp, dash :fk:d+:fp:bp, dash :bp~smoke bomb or :en smoke bomb, jump kick~air throw

7. :fk:d+:fp:bp, dash :fk:fp:bp, jump kick~air throw

8. :fk:d+:fp:bp, dash :fk:fp:bp, dash :bp~smoke bomb or :en smoke bomb, jump kick~air throw

9. :l+:bp~smoke bomb, jump kick~air throw

10. :l+:bp~smoke bomb, dash :fk:d+:fp:bp, dash :fk:d+:fp:bp, air throw

10. :l+:bp~smoke bomb, NJ :fp/:bp, dash :fk:d+:fp:bp, jump kick~air throw

:x COMBOS:
1. smoke bomb, :x

2. :fk:bp, dash :fk:d+:fp:bp, dash :fp~smoke bomb, :x

3. :fk:d+:fp:bp, dash :fk:fp:bp, dash :fp~smoke bomb, :x

4. :l+:bp~smoke bomb, :x

babalook

Noob
wow sounds like he is going to be a extemely good character, are those combo's max damage? Also will shake even punish kabal's quick jump fireball(don't know what to call it)?

STORMS

Co-founder
Founder
Premium Supporter
wow sounds like he is going to be a extemely good character, are those combo's max damage?
I talked to Tom about this earlier; these are some basic combos. There are a lot of there to be found yet, but he didn't want to list all of them because finding more damage and more combos is half the fun. :)

This guide is meant to put you on the right foot, now it's your job to take it from here.

Yaysian

#putsmokeinmkx
Really nice starting guide for Smoke. I can contribute max damage combos for Smoke if needed since I got the game early. :D

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
excellent guide - did you by chance put that after ending a combo w JK throw you can throw a smoke bomb as they get up and if they try to do ANYTHING but wakeup dashes or block it hits every time :D

no, i did not max the guide. i came close to maxing the guides. its a new game, part of the fun of a new game is looking for stuff. take the combos... after the overhead~smoke bomb obviously more can be done then jump kick~air throw but theres no fun in getting a game then picking your character with the feeling of "everything is already discovered".

as time goes by i will update the guide until its finally maxed.

PANDA

*Supreme Member*
:l:bp:fk~smoke bomb launches, but will whiff if they are cornered

:fk:d:fp:bp, dash~:l:bp:fk~smoke bomb, :fk:bp, dash~:l:bp:fk~port.

fleshmasher

i got the poison
:l:bp:fk~smoke bomb launches, but will whiff if they are cornered

:fk:d:fp:bp, dash~:l:bp:fk~smoke bomb, :fk:bp, dash~:l:bp:fk~port.
It's really hard for me to consistently connect :l:bp:fk~smoke bomb after :fk:d:fp:bp or :fk:bp launcher very often the bomb whiffs because the opponent is too high or low. The timing seems to be very strict. Any hints?

Dark_Rob

Noob
It's really hard for me to consistently connect :l:bp:fk~smoke bomb after :fk:d:fp:bp or :fk:bp launcher very often the bomb whiffs because the opponent is too high or low. The timing seems to be very strict. Any hints?
The timing is very strict. You have to time it so the opponent basically lands on it as its going off. I time it by inputting the move just as the opponent passes the crest of they're fall so that they land on it. I only mess it up about 10% of the time. Also you can use EX smoke bomb. Its easier to connect in a juggle because it has a bigger hitbox.

McNasty

Moist.
Ive found that the FK after 3hit pop up combo to smoke bomb is easiest to time the FP allows too much falling time. One ive been working on is FKFPBP dash FKFPBP dash FKFPBP dash BKBK. 34%

Slips

Feared by dragons. Desired by virgins.
I'm confused. The guide says that after an air throw that a smoke bomb is blockable, but I'm seeing a lot of combo vids where the smoke bomb is actually comboing.

Does it combo or no? Any confirmation?

PEACE

rikana

Noob
Its blockable. It only works OTG on training dummies.

How does one perform a jump kick to air throw? I couldn't pull it off and I have no problem pulling off everything else. Is there some kind of trick to this?

Zebster

How's my volume?

How does one perform a jump kick to air throw? I couldn't pull it off and I have no problem pulling off everything else. Is there some kind of trick to this?
No real trick to it. Just hit grab right after kick, like as soon as you hit kick press grab.

rikana

Noob
Thanks. I guess I was pressing it way too fast. I was thinking we were suppose to buffer it like any other combo.

Edit: I'm so dumb. i forgot I had my button remapped.. that's why. lol...

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Oh is this true? I was playing the other night with a friend and he said he was blocking everytime I did the smoke bombo after air throw. And I managed to combo the smoke bomb off the AT like 3 times. Maybe he wasn't blocking like he said, or the timing is VERY strict but possible? Can Tom please confirm this? thanks a lot

NinjaGrinder

A living, Breathing Piece of Defecating Meat
Hmm well, I asked konqrr in youtube (before I asked here) and he told me this:

"I figured it out. Air throw must be done closer to the ground and timing is strict"

So yeah, I'm kinda confused. If only I owned a console and could test this shit out... damn. Tom, care to try what Konqrr said? :)