Match-up Discussion Skarlet Vs. Sonya

Is this match 5-5?

• Skarlet 6- Sonya 4 (In Skarlet's favor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
~ This is part 4 in a series of community discussions on specific matchups for Skarlet. Our goal is to pool our information and opinions together on specific matchups, in an attempt to find any sort of advantage that Skarlet can achieve in these matchups. Hopefully with our knowledge combined, we can take Skarlet to another level of SMART play.

~ The rules are simple, NO FLAMING each other, and NO CRYING FOR BUFFS OR NERFS, for Skarlet or for the opposing character. We are discussing the game at hand, not attempting to change it. All players are welcome and all opinions are valid, as long as they are in service to helping each other get better in the specific matchup that we are discussing. We will discuss one opposing character at a time, and we will give each discussion a week before we move on so we can truly dig deep. If you have a suggestion for the following weeks opposing character, feel free to mention it, then we will vote, and introduce that character the following week.

Skarlet Vs. Sonya

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Lemme bring Death overhere, though that we already discussed this before along with him, Ninj, L0rdoftheFLY and RedRaptor10 if i'm not mistaken.

The Big deal was rollin around d4~MS~f1, cartwheel, wich seems to be interruptible, and also the sonya's dive kicks that can lead to high damaging combos.

Death

Noob
Obviously No1 can really label the MU since no1 has extensive offline experience with each character. From personal online experience I've had success fighting Skarlet wit Sonya. I do however think this MU is fairly even if Skarlet is played at the highest possible level. They both have similar resets ending with 112 but I feel maybe Sonyas ender is a bit better because it is much safer and guaranteed. Skarlet ender is possibly a toss up but still a really slick reset. Skarlet isn't a great zoner but really good at meter building with iAD. This is really useful vs Sonya because the EX Red Dash comes in handy. Skarlet has to watch out for EX Cartwheel though because the EX Cartwheel armor duration lasts slighlty longer and usually wins the trade. Sonya can zone Skarlet pretty freely and will win the trade by 5%ish each time. Skarlet also has a hard time doing teleport on reaction to Sonyas projectile because she recovers so fast and she can blow up Skarlet teleport with 35-45% depending on the punish. I think the MU is even.

Johnny2d

Lemme bring Death overhere, though that we already discussed this before along with him, Ninj, L0rdoftheFLY and RedRaptor10 if i'm not mistaken.

The Big deal was rollin around d4~MS~f1, cartwheel, wich seems to be interruptible, and also the sonya's dive kicks that can lead to high damaging combos.
If there is already a discussion on the subject, feel free to summarize in this thread so its all in one place.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
If there is already a discussion on the subject, feel free to summarize in this thread so its all in one place.
It was just a thread created by LOFT who everyone was discussing about sonya being better than Skarlet (i think you were there too) and we ended talking about MU

Johnny2d

It was just a thread created by LOFT who everyone was discussing about sonya being better than Skarlet (i think you were there too) and we ended talking about MU
Oh geez, my bad for forgetting.

Well, the point of this thread will be to pool information that makes the match better for Skarlet. Lets keep 5-5 6-4 discussion to a minimum. Use the poll I made in the thread to cast votes, but lets all make this discussion about outlining a plan for this specific fight. I encourage everyone that has been active in these talks to keep things focused, and help others that come into it stay on track.

Johnny2d

Johnny2d I sense more casual's coming up? - i play everyone, you should know this by now ;) - But sonya is one of my more serious fighters.
Yup, I'd love to get some matches in. I might not be able to right away, I have a lot going on in the next couple days (I'm flying to vegas to get married on Sunday! #yolo) If I'm on though, I'd like to test this match at length.

OSpliffySmitheeyO

tym_smitheey
Yup, I'd love to get some matches in. I might not be able to right away, I have a lot going on in the next couple days (I'm flying to vegas to get married on Sunday! #yolo) If I'm on though, I'd like to test this match at length.
What poor lovely lady have you tricked? - In seriousness though, congrats bud! Birthdays, marrige, being awesome at mk, ( okay scrath the last one freezor) But your having a good month! lol #yolo - maybe someone will give you a free icecream next!

Johnny2d

What poor lovely lady have you tricked? - In seriousness though, congrats bud! Birthdays, marrige, being awesome at mk, ( okay scrath the last one freezor) But your having a good month! lol #yolo - maybe someone will give you a free icecream next!
I laughed so hard, you are the funniest dude I've met i quite a while ;) ...Meanwhile, I'm waitin for that icecream

ForeverKing

Patreon.com/MK_ForeverKing
I play both, I think Sonya wins. Their zoning is kind of even, but Sonya's rushdown is a lot better and will usually always beat Skarlet up close. It could be a close match but I think Sonya is slightly better.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
The main problem is, Skarlet can't punish sonya very well for using 112 on a crouch block, but Sonya can smash the tits off Skarlet for using her 112 on a crouch block.

Skarlet = 112 :ex Dagger cancel.
Sonya = 112 MS B2 combo.

Edgar Inc

B3 everything
I think Sonya has the edge in this. Zoning isnt really that big of a deal, their armor goes par for par, but Sonya doesnt have unsafe options like Skarlett does, so she can get away with alot more than skarlett. I also think Sonyas rushdown is slightly better. Just my opinion.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
What's been said so far is pretty accurate.

The only way Skarlet beats Sonya's wakeup ex cartwheel up close is with phanton hits, which are nullified with tech rolling into a wakeup. Also njping of course. I think the overall skill level of the Skarlet player has to be much higher than the Sonya to make it even. Equal skill levels puts it in Sonya's favor. It's a careful fight for Skarlet, not unlike the Cage mu. I try to keep both of these characters out as much as I can with F4,3 and Slides to frustrate them and bait poor decisions on their part as they attemp to get in. Skarlet has to make the most of these punishes because slipping up will cost you a lot of life when either of them gets in.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

ryublaze

Noob
I think it's slightly in Sonya's favor. Her rushdown is a bit better and her D4 leading to MS makes it hard for Skarlet to play footsies. I think Skarlet can iaD and EX Red Dash to beat Sonya's zoning. She can kind of lock her down with ground daggers if she gets going. Also I think Skarlet dies in the corner. @Sonya Blake what are your opinions on this matchup?

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
I think it's slightly in Sonya's favor. Her rushdown is a bit better and her D4 leading to MS makes it hard for Skarlet to play footsies. I think Skarlet can iaD and EX Red Dash to beat Sonya's zoning. She can kind of lock her down with ground daggers if she gets going. Also I think Skarlet dies in the corner. @Sonya Blake what are your opinions on this matchup?
yes in the corner against sonya is anal rape for any character. sonya is just too good with that MS mixup stuff. I get a life lead then zone the hell out of her.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
Yes please do dagger cancel me out, so i can dive kick in. :)
the zoning is to bait for the dive kick and the ex cartwheel. that is why a want her to come to daddy with that -20 on block dive kick and her safe ass cartwheel. i got a njp for the cartwheel and a 32% reset combo for the dive kick. Life lead = me to start laming her out. Oh and I have armor that is just as good as hers. :)

OSpliffySmitheeyO

tym_smitheey
the zoning is to bait for the dive kick and the ex cartwheel. that is why a want her to come to daddy with that -20 on block dive kick and her safe ass cartwheel. i got a njp for the cartwheel and a 32% reset combo for the dive kick. Life lead = me to start laming her out. Oh and I have armor that is just as good as hers. :)
But if you want to start laming sonya out, she can just bait your moves aswell.. im pretty sure any sonya would agree that they dont mind trading projectiles with skarlet, her measly chip damage on hit isnt worth getting trades for, and if you try teleport my onion rings, Boom, 40% combo into MS pressure. :) Plus, sonya's pressure is just better imo, none of it requires meter, and she can EX cartwheel out of skarlets. She builds meter quite fast, so she should allways have a breaker or ex carwheel, all the dagger cancel into slide shenanigans are useless against a sonya with meter, ex cartwhell in yo face.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
But if you want to start laming sonya out, she can just bait your moves aswell.. im pretty sure any sonya would agree that they dont mind trading projectiles with skarlet, her measly chip damage on hit isnt worth getting trades for, and if you try teleport my onion rings, Boom, 40% combo into MS pressure. :) Plus, sonya's pressure is just better imo, none of it requires meter, and she can EX cartwheel out of skarlets. She builds meter quite fast, so she should allways have a breaker or ex carwheel, all the dagger cancel into slide shenanigans are useless against a sonya with meter, ex cartwhell in yo face.
More or less right, a little one sided as Skarlet can also ex through pressure, builds meter quickly, etc. Tool vs tool they aren't too different.

Sonya should be treated like Cage - keep them out and force them to take safe chip damge when they try to come in.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
i agree with you completely but seeing how long i have been playing skarlet and you can ask others that have played me i hardly ever use her teleport and will only use it if i get a jump kick in the air. I will never try to teleport on reaction to onion rings cause the recovery is too quick and im putting myself right beside her again where i dont want to be. When i say umma lame her out best believe im not falling for anything. I will sit fullscreen doing neutral crouch or d3s under her onion rings until the time runs out if i have to. I have learned after countless fights with high level people to be patient at all times and somebody will eventually say the hell with this and make a mistake. Hopefully that isnt me. But like aNinj said, they have the same tools. It is just skarlet doesnt have an armored special launcher that is safe on block (that is so broken and sonya is the only one in the game with this) and a MS that guarantees chip damage with f1(+1 on block) to cartwheel. These 2 reasons are why she has the advantage imo. Oh and instant jump back dive kick to blow up pokes for full combos. -__- Boy you just got to love sonya.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
i agree with you completely but seeing how long i have been playing skarlet and you can ask others that have played me i hardly ever use her teleport and will only use it if i get a jump kick in the air. I will never try to teleport on reaction to onion rings cause the recovery is too quick and im putting myself right beside her again where i dont want to be. When i say umma lame her out best believe im not falling for anything. I will sit fullscreen doing neutral crouch or d3s under her onion rings until the time runs out if i have to. I have learned after countless fights with high level people to be patient at all times and somebody will eventually say the hell with this and make a mistake. Hopefully that isnt me. But like aNinj said, they have the same tools. It is just skarlet doesnt have an armored special launcher that is safe on block (that is so broken and sonya is the only one in the game with this) and a MS that guarantees chip damage with f1(+1 on block) to cartwheel. These 2 reasons are why she has the advantage imo. Oh and instant jump back dive kick to blow up pokes for full combos. -__- Boy you just got to love sonya.
True story...Sonya is stupid good. But the key to any match is keeping my opponent from using their best tools. For Sonya that tool is d4ms f1 cartwheel. As long as skarlet is prepared to down dagger d4 attempts, njp cartwheel, ready to punish dive kicks, and can AA in the right situations, she wins. But it starts by reading when you opponent is doing things.

If skarlet gets her dc going it doesn't let Sonya throw rings. However if that is all she does she leaves herself open to ex cartwheel and dive kick.

She can't teleport(always a bad idea)

She can't really open slide, she has to dc her way to a slide. Otherwise, rings, cartwheel, and d4 all stuff red dash.

Once both players pressure gets started they hit like a truck. Skarlet however hits just a little bit harder. She has a 42% reset(that I now use as my bnb consistently) that for the cost of one bar does an extra 8% MINIMUM or gives a free throw for an extra 11% or gives a reset for two bars with eh down slash.

Up close skarEt has the potential to be more dangerous. The only reason she isn't considered as dangerous is because of how difficult she is to use. Sonyas cartwheel is pretty easy mode in comparison. But the more time we skarlet players spend on her the more dangerous she becomes.