What's new

Breakthrough Skarlet Breakdown

Had this thread helped you understand her rush down?

• Yes, I am convinced Skarlet would be hot if she was a real person

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No, I like my woman chunky

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

Sasuga

Noob
Great guide. Maybe we'll see more Skarlett's being played now. She's one of the coolest characters in the game and a shame that hardly anyone plays her.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Great guide. Maybe we'll see more Skarlett's being played now. She's one of the coolest characters in the game and a shame that hardly anyone plays her.
You can't get any serious type practice in online, you can only play a really watered down version, and you can't depend on the Standing 1 anti air online, that can be disheartening, sometimes when I lose with Skarlet online to some random guy by getting jumped at the whole game and being able to do nothing about it online, I just change KL and rape him for jumping. So, yea, online she can be disheartening, but if you play nothing but offline, she is something to look into.

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
You can't get any serious type practice in online, you can only play a really watered down version, and you can't depend on the Standing 1 anti air online, that can be disheartening, sometimes when I lose with Skarlet online to some random guy by getting jumped at the whole game and being able to do nothing about it online, I just change KL and rape him for jumping. So, yea, online she can be disheartening, but if you play nothing but offline, she is something to look into.
Her standing U3 also has good anti-air properties. Ask CSZ how he likes getting U3'd out of his Air Dive. U3 is a bit of a gamble on whether it hits, but I've found it to have a better overall hit box than her standing 1.

Agreed on not being able to seriously practice Skarlet online. The only time I'm able to actually improve my Skarlet gameplay is when my brother is in the area (not often). Any video I've ever made of me playing online has simply been a parody of what Skarlet can do. One of these days I'll get a chance to record some offline matches and visually point out what Skarlet can do in a 'live environment'.

ryublaze

Noob
I find her U3 good for crossups since it's like a NJP but more damaging. I also like her 2 as an anti-air. It's 2 frames slower than 1 but it reaches higher and farther. Most of the time I'll just use F4, 3 since that has great range and if you whiff then you're safe.

Sasuga

Noob
Yeah, i agree. I wasn't talking about online, you don't see her much at all. I don't remember ever seeing her being played at high level.

Standing 1 anti airs with Rain are not even worth trying online. I hardly ever get it. The online messes up the whole game balance.

Ninj

Online Skarlet and Offline Skarlet are two completely different characters. This is true for a lot of characters but it's exaggerated with Skarlet with her requisite surgeon-like style of execution.

Deity

Noob
Online Skarlet and Offline Skarlet are two completely different characters. This is true for a lot of characters but it's exaggerated with Skarlet with her requisite surgeon-like style of execution.
Going my first offline tourney with skarlet this Saturday. Hopefully tourney nerves won't fuck me over, and I can show the Atlanta scene what skarlet is capable of.

UsedForGlue

Going my first offline tourney with skarlet this Saturday. Hopefully tourney nerves won't fuck me over, and I can show the Atlanta scene what skarlet is capable of.
If Kitana and Mileena can place well, then so can a good Skarlet player.

B W1zZ

Noob
I can't seem to land these combos:

:l:bpDown Slash, :u:fk Dagger, :bp:fk Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp Red Dash -

Red Dash Down Slash, :u:fk Dagger, :bp:fk Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp Red Dash -

When I do :bp :fk dagger cancel into :fp:fp:bp, the :bp always whiffs....

If I do just a :bp dagger cancel or :fk dagger cancel, I do the combo consistently everyime, but if I try using the :bp:fk string they are always too far away for the last hit of :fp:fp:bp to connect. I've only managed to do it like twice.

UsedForGlue

If I do just a :bp dagger cancel or :fk dagger cancel, I do the combo consistently everyime, but if I try using the :bp:fk string they are always too far away for the last hit of :fp:fp:bp to connect. I've only managed to do it like twice.
Hey man, thats cool. If you have any trouble with any :bp:fk combo, then just do the :bp instead, like you said.

Infact I should take away the :bp:fk when starting an upslash or downslash combo.

ryublaze

Noob

After Dagger cancel you have to make a full dash forward.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Johnny2D is a good Skarlet.Only seen and played him online. He used to play me when I used to main Jax.Now he just plays Skyrim and takes arrows to the knee.
Lol. I play mk online in spurts, I have 2500 wins with Skarlet and got to rank 104 with her alone. However, when 1 in 4 fights end in hate mail coming my for flawlessing some child that has a 10 win 20 loss scorpion I needed to step away and take some arrows in the knee ;) I'm looking forward to a return to mk, this article by Glue was what I've been hoping for for a long time.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
I like that you talk about her footsie game. Although the down 1 technically isn't a 'foot' I like using it as such in her footsies game. Poke with her 6 frame jab, cancel that 6 frame jab with df3, then safe slide, rinse and repeat. The d3 works really well for this too at only 7 frames with more range. If they refuse to block low they will lose a lot of life very fast from this tactic. If you train them to block the slide low that sets up a very very hard to see coming Ex overhead. And of course, if you train them to to think that after they see a low poke, that a 50/50 is coming, its time to throw.

Like Glue said, opponents that don't know the matchup obviously struggle with this stuff. However, I find it 10 times more fun to play against opponents that do know her shenanigans, because then the mind games come in.

Ninj

Agreed with Johnny2d. Opponents who don't know the Skarlet matchup will get dominated. Opponents who do know the matchup will only bring out more creativity from Skarlet. I say this assuming 2 things - 1) it's offline and 2) you're playing against the same person/people more than once.

UsedForGlue

Agreed with Johnny2d. Opponents who don't know the Skarlet matchup will get dominated. Opponents who do know the matchup will only bring out more creativity from Skarlet. I say this assuming 2 things - 1) it's offline and 2) you're playing against the same person/people more than once.
Even if you know the match and where to block during her strings, your still rolling the dice at the end if the Skarlet player decides go for a risk with the Overhead slash. I really dig Skarlet, unfortunately, the only thing to her game is rushing down.

ryublaze

Noob
I like to compare her mix-up with Sub-Zero's mixup after his B1, 2, 1. IMO her Down Slash from Red Slide should be used just as much as Sub-Zero's F4, Ice Ball. They both are kinda difficult to see coming (Skarlet's is only 4 frames faster) but can be full combo punished. Just like Sub-Zero, Skarlet can throw after her standing reset, which is (in my opinion) her greatest mix-up between that and Red Slide.

EX Down Slash can also be used in mix-up but it's high risk/high reward. Personally I don't like using it since meter is very important for Skarlet. If it gets blocked, you'd be losing 3 bars if you decide to breaker the opponent's punish.

EDIT: This is very out of date information. Regular down slash can be fuzzy guarded on reaction, throw/slide isn't her greatest mix-up.

Ninj

Even if you know the match and where to block during her strings, your still rolling the dice at the end if the Skarlet player decides go for a risk with the Overhead slash. I really dig Skarlet, unfortunately, the only thing to her game is rushing down.
I disagree that that's all she has going for her. Maybe you meant that's her strong suit?

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
Maybe if I knew how to block against her I would see her as less effective than I do, but alas, I suck and so Skarlet seems quite good. :).

KH_Captain

Nightwolf wannabe
skarlet is for real the hottest female in this game. then sonya (hot red heads>hot blondes), then Jade (not bad), then Mileena then Kitana (I'd deal with the teeth over the Man Chin) then Sindel (though she's not to bad for grandma) Then sheeva (yikes)

salvificblood

Worst Sub-Zero Ever
skarlet is for real the hottest female in this game. then sonya (hot red heads>hot blondes), then Jade (not bad), then Mileena then Kitana (I'd deal with the teeth over the Man Chin) then Sindel (though she's not to bad for grandma) Then sheeva (yikes)
I expect hot redheads and blondes comparisons such as: Nicole kidman and Charlize Theron not Skarlet and Sonya Blade (polygon people), to be honest.