What's new

Breakthrough Skarlet Breakdown

Had this thread helped you understand her rush down?

• Yes, I am convinced Skarlet would be hot if she was a real person

Votes: 42 89.4%
  • No, I like my woman chunky

Votes: 5 10.6%

• Total voters

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
Hi Guys.

I have been focusing my attention on Skarlet for a while now and have decided to go back and main her offline for the time being, so here is a breakdown (guide) of what I feel is her strengths weaknesses and her best tools/options.

BASIC GAMEPLAY REQUIREMENTS:
Skarlet requires the highest level of execution of any character in the game to play correctly, you need to hit confirm everything whilst deciding what on hit, what your next move will be, you need to understand what sort of reaction the strings put the opponent in, and most importantly, the frama data of her moves on block and hit and start up.

I know that could be said for every character, but if you don't know the frama data for this character you can't just go to town with her. Most people will have just watched other players with KL doing 112 on block and then going into D3, or throw, that is not a reaction, that is based off the fact that an opponent won't poke you incase a spin was dialled in anyway, or Sub Zero players mashing out :d:bk and pressing for another combo regardless of being on hit or block, they don't fully understand why it sometimes works, and why it sometimes does not, but they do it anyway, this will not work with Skarlet, you need a full understanding of the character, same for the likes of Sonya, Shang, Jade, Kabal etc.

Skarlet does not work like that, you need to know the reactions and condition the opponent after combos.

TIER POSITION:
First thing is, Skarlet viably cannot be confidently placed in any competitive tier list thus far, as in my opinion, she has not been fully exposed in the highest level of offline comp by anyone who actually ''mains'' her, and she is of the opinion that she is a lower tier character, but all in all, that is mostly down to the lack of exposure.

GENERAL STRATEGY AND MISCONCEPTION:
Ok, the first mis conception by almost everyone is too think that Skarlet will just throw daggers from full screen all day and chip you away to death. NO, throwing daggers all day will her no where, there is supposed to be a reason and reaction to every dagger cancel thrown, mainly, it is supposed to used a spacing tool, for instance, from full screen, 2-3 Single Dagger Cancels and you will have created the JIP space for the choice to jump in and start a block string, in which all block strings will lead to Red Dash into Overhead or Slide, from full screen, 1 Single dagger cancel will create the space for Red Dash into Slide. That is a simple summing up and if you wish to go no further into the character, then I am sure you will casually get some success from just doing this alone.

MORE THAN 50/50 GUESSING GAME:

Obviously Skarlet has some serious depth to her playing other than dagger dagger dagger, her options for rush down and spacing are just ridiculous. Even people who have never used Skarlet will know that is basically boils down to two things after her juggle combos, you stand and guess the over head is coming or you crouch and block the slide and most of you will probably say ''just stand, its only 8% instead of eating an overhead'' but its not simply a case of the lesser of two evils, in fact stand blocking after the reset is almost worse than crouching and eating an overhead...
What I mean by ''More than 50/50 guessing game'' is that even if you decide ''after all her combos I am just going to take the slide (by standing) after the dash so I won't get hit by the Overhead'', you would think that it would take away Skarlet's options after a reset combo, but it doesn't, and here is why:

Stand blocking after every reset and not guessing is just as bad as anything else, if Skarlet does not slide after her reset :fp:fp:bp and instead does :en Dagger cancel, you will not be able to break out of the next string, and if she uses ''Flesh and Blood'' into Red Dash slide, you will have given her 16% Chip and Damage all because you refuse to guess if a Dagger cancel is coming.

So if Skarlet hits you with JIP :l:bp:d:l:bp - :u:fk Dagger - :bp Dagger Cancel - :fp:fp:bp and you stand block, you will have taken 40% Damage, and now comes the :en Dagger cancel (2% on block) into Flesh and Blood :l:bp:fp:bp:fp+:bp (8%) Red Dash Slide (8% on hit) that is a total of 58%, all because you refused to guess and ultimately took all guess work out of her rush down whilst at the same time granting her another block string rush down, nice work dumb ass.

Maybe next time you will guess with a :d1 after the :en Dagger cancel is hit on block, of course she could Red Dash into Down Slash (overhead) next time...Yes on block it's fully punishable, but if she has a breaker (which she most likely will) it won't matter.

BEST NORMALS:
Krimson Bash - :fp:fp:bp - Technically a mid hitting string, but on low hit box characters, she can be poked out of the first :fp, must the same as Sonya Blade can be. This string on block is 100% safe and leads to her Red Dash mix up or dagger cancel. This is the string to finish all juggles with.

Red Pain - :fp:fp:bk - Exact same hit levels as Krimson bash, except it will not reset the opponent, but will put the opponent in a longer stagger on hit.

Bad Blood - :l:fp:fp:r:bk - This string cannot be poked out after an :en Dagger cancel, ultimately it does not reset on hit or have as many hits as ''Flesh and Blood'' or change the hit level, but it is 100% guaranteed after Krimson Bash :en Dagger Cancel. The opponent cannot poke with :d:fp even if sitting in a predetermined crouch. Launches on hit for Red dash into Up Slash, you can also Red Dash into Slide on block. THIS IS YOUR PUNISHER.

Bloody Murder - :l:fp:fp:l:bk - Same hit level properties, low hit box characters cannot poke or escape this string, except it ends with a sweep knock down. -15 on block, can be full combo punished. If you see the opponent standing on block after your reset, stick with Bad Blood into Red Dash slide if you want the low hit instead of risking the low sweep with this string.

Punishment - :bp:fp:bp - Safe mid hitting string, this is her easiest string to hit confirm from, best used from a JIP (Because of the 12 Frame execution) NOTE: If you try a regular dagger cancel after this string on block, the opponent can poke you out of your cancel as the Dagger will not hit a neutral ducking opponent, so if this string hits, go into Dagger Cancel :bp Dagger Cancel :fp:fp:bp Red Dash.

Blood Shot - :bp:fk - Used during juggles to finish off strictly damage combos. example, finishing your combo with :bp:fk Red Dash Slide, you may opt for this in place of the reset.

Flesh & Blood - :l:bp:fp:bp:fp+:bp - One of the best strings in the game. Her best option from a jump in punch. This string again like Krimson Bash can be poked out of on start up after an :en Dagger on block, as the first two hits are high.

Last two hits after overhead, and should almost always be dialled into Red Dash on block, as on hit you can finish the dash with Up Slash into :bp Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp :en Dagger or Red Dash Mix Up.

Blood Boil - :r:fk:fp:bp - Slow mid hitting hit confirmable string, this should always be dialled into Red Dash, as on hit you can chain into Upslash, and on block you can confirm into Slide.

Thicker Than Water - :r:bk:fk - This string is your after footsie string. After you hit a D4 in your footsie game, try going into this, it puts distance between you and your opponent to start your dagger spacing again, it also puts you in the ideal Anti Air Spacing.

Some people choose to end their juggles this way, I personally would rather go into :fp:fp:bp Regular Dagger Cancel and then quickly press into this string.

Slaughter - :r:fk:fk - Second hit is a low and puts the opponent in a stumble animation, you should always dial in the Red Dash afterwards.

MATCH UP EXPERIENCE: Opponents defence.

When most people encounter her for the first few times, and obviously have no idea how to defend her constant rush down (nor should they be expected to) the reasoning of ''I don't really have the skarlet match up experience'' or ''I don't really know how to deal with her offence yet'', seems like a valid point, and it is, but even once you understand how she works in her offence and how to defend against her and start to formulate ways to ''keep her out'', trust me, that really won't make a huge difference.

As much as you may start to grasp the match up, she WILL start an offence at least one time per round and that ''One offence'' on hit can take upto 60% (JIP) for one bar of meter including chip (Post combo) which can also lead to another offence set up from that offence...that dynamic can continue indefinitely.

Let me give you a quick example how easily she can mount an offence from almost anywhere on the screen.

If Skarlet has one bar of meter and is just slightly further than 3/4 screen away pissing you off with daggers for 11 seconds, and you happen to be Cyrax for instance, yes, you can trade a net with the dagger cancel and Skarlet will not be able to block in time from the recovery of the dagger cancel, but, you will run the risk of her :en ARMOURED Red Dash - 3/4 screen into most likely an Up Slash into :u:fk Air Dagger - :bp:fk Dagger Cancel into :fp:fp:bp(Reset) into Red Dash for either a Slide (low) or restarting her combo again with Down Slash (Overhead) Slide will give 8% on hit and be 100% safe on block (-3), the original (all most full screen) armoured punish combo was in and around 36% before you make the opponent roll the dice into Slide for 8% or like I said, reseting your combo with the over head.

After any combo or anti air or punish, everything she does can lead into the :fp:fp:bp Red Dash reset, so even if you are hit with one string, you will have to contend with her offence in some shape or form, it is inevitable. This is her strongest point, keeping her out with projectiles is not the best option you will have when fighting her, going toe to toe with her, punishing her blocked Down/Up Slashes, Teleports and making the correct reads is only way to beat her, don't try keep her out, because it won't happen with any great success.

Have your footsies and have a predetermined quick mid hitting block string ready to go as Skarlet is -3 after a Red Dash Slide, it is 100% safe, and cannot be punished by full combo, so do not dial.

BASIC FOOTSIE: :r:bk:fk

If you are looking for a basic footsie that has good potential is after a :d:bk, try going into :r:bk:fk, on block as it creates a good space between you and the opponent, from here, you can expect a projectile to counter the fact that you might throw yours, and you can :en Red Dash through.

It also puts you in a good anti air space, and you can go back to zoning and creating your JIP space with Dagger cancels.

On hit with :d:bk, dash into :l:fp:fp:r:bk into Red Dash.

MOST PRACTICAL COMBOS:
:r:bp:fp:bp:fp+:bp Red Dash into UpSlash, :bp Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp Red Dash -

:l:bp Down Slash, :u:fk Dagger, :bp Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp Red Dash -

Red Dash - Down Slash, :u:fk Dagger, :bp Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp Red Dash -

JIP :l:bp Down Slash, :u:fk Dagger, :fk :ex Down Slash, :bp:fk Red Dash Slide = 49% - One Bar of meter.

ANTI AIR: :fp Down Slash, :bp:fk Dagger Cancel, :fp:fp:bp

PUNISHER: :l:fp:fp:r:bk Red Dash - UpSlash - :fp:bk Dagger Cancel - :fp:fp:bp -

:x - JIP :l:bp Down Slash - :u:fk Dagger - :bp Dagger Cancel - :bp:fk Red Dash - :x

CORNER: JIP :r:bp:fp:bp:fp+:bp Down Slash, :l:fp:fp:r:bk Down Slash, :l:fp:fp:r:bk Down Slash, :fp:fp:bp Red Dash -

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
I didn't read this yet, but I literally just picked up Skarlet so thank you

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
She also has a rune trap like block string that can do like 40% dmg on full chip and leads to full combos if hit confirmed btw

UsedForGlue

She also has a rune trap like block string that can do like 40% dmg on full chip and leads to full combos if hit confirmed btw
The ''Rune Trap'' like combo, is only escapable after the 112, by crouch blocking the :en dagger and poking her next string, but not if she uses B11F4. So essentially you have to crouch block the reset, which leaves the option for the DownSlash to hit you.

RTM2004

Revenant Jade
Skarlet is the hardest character in the game to play, very execution heavy, very fast-paced. I've played only a few Skarlet players on XBL TuReDimsky, COR3Y B4BY and Shujinkydink - she is far from low tier, TuReDimsky being the first Skarlet player I've came across that I got annihilated by badly showed me what she is truly capable of. Lethal mix-up, blockstrings, high/low/overhead pressure, dagger cancel mind games considering I'm used to seeing Teleport/Kunai/Blood Toss/F4,3 Skarlet spammers X*D

Deity

Noob
Very nice breakdown, hopefully i'll be ready to show off skarlet in an offline scene at Final Round.

ryublaze

Noob
Very good in depth breakdown of Skarlet UsedForGlue!

A few comments I would like to make though:

If she locks you down with Dagger Tosses from full screen she builds meter very fast and makes it hard for the opponent to get in.

Personally, I find B1, 1, B4 useless since it's unsafe on block and instead of B4 you can do Red Dash, Red Slide.

2, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 1, 1, 2 can be improved with 2, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 2, 3, Dagger Toss (cancel), 1, 1, 2.

Flesh and Blood is actually F2, 1, 2, 1+2

F3, 1, 2 can be hit confirmed into Red Dash, Down Slash.

You can also add that Dagger Toss on hit from dash distance gives her a free blockstring.

UsedForGlue

Very good in depth breakdown of Skarlet UsedForGlue!

A few comments I would like to make though:

If she locks you down with Dagger Tosses from full screen she builds meter very fast and makes it hard for the opponent to get in.

Personally, I find B1, 1, B4 useless since it's unsafe on block and instead of B4 you can do Red Dash, Red Slide.

2, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 1, 1, 2 can be improved with 2, 1, 2, Dagger Toss (cancel), 2, 3, Dagger Toss (cancel), 1, 1, 2.

Flesh and Blood is actually F2, 1, 2, 1+2

F3, 1, 2 can be hit confirmed into Red Dash, Down Slash.

You can also add that Dagger Toss on hit from dash distance gives her a free blockstring.
My Mistake on the flesh and blood. Il edit, writing these things fast can cause little grammatical errors.

I made note of the fact that you can opt for :l:fp:fp:r:bk into slide instead.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
wow, well done, hell of good job here to explain the Lady in Red gameplay !! Very appreciated, enjoyed the fun !! :)

Dann

Noob
didn't you do this for rain also? The community needs more guys like you. When you pick up a new character, you literately go all out. Skarlet is my favorite female character but with my poor execution I wouldn't be able to use her effectively :( . I still read the whole thing though :) .Excellent job!!

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
The ''Rune Trap'' like combo, is only escapable after the 112, by crouch blocking the :en dagger and poking her next string, but not if she uses B11F4. So essentially you have to crouch block the reset, which leaves the option for the DownSlash to hit you.
I tried doing it and being able to hit confirm that thing is extremely difficult man

UsedForGlue

You can't really hit confirm the :En dagger from The flesh and blood string, but if the opponent gets launched, after your dagger cancel, you ca dash into slide.

She takes practice.

This is the part where we all thank nrs for having the insight to nerf this character before people saw how broken she was, and respect the fact that they know how to design characters. Also this is a great breakdown, and is even better because she's 2nd on my to learn list

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
Skarlet is the hardest character in the game to play, very execution heavy, very fast-paced. I've played only a few Skarlet players on XBL TuReDimsky, COR3Y B4BY and Shujinkydink - she is far from low tier, TuReDimsky being the first Skarlet player I've came across that I got annihilated by badly showed me what she is truly capable of. Lethal mix-up, blockstrings, high/low/overhead pressure, dagger cancel mind games considering I'm used to seeing Teleport/Kunai/Blood Toss/F4,3 Skarlet spammers X*D
ha ha,me too.turedimsky's skarlet absolutely destroyed me,ive never been beat that bad before and thats saying something coming from me because i get beat really bad most times i play.he's on my friends list but i havent seen him play mk for ages.those two beatings he gave me made me pick up skarlet,i fool around with her now and again but i doubt i'll ever get good with her or anyone else for that matter,its proberly due to the fact that i play about 15 characters.

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
I don't see how people play Skarlet online lol. So much damn execution.

UsedForGlue

This is the part where we all thank nrs for having the insight to nerf this character before people saw how broken she was, and respect the fact that they know how to design characters. Also this is a great breakdown, and is even better because she's 2nd on my to learn list
She needed to have those dagger cancel's nerfed, they are too quick.