What's new

Strategy Sinestro's top 8 mid-screen combos + strategy!!!

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
This thread discusses the most consistent mid-screen combos I have found for Sinestro. These combos don't require any meter or trait, so you will always have access to these. The combos and strategies listed here have been a compilation of information pulled from several sources. MLG Injustice strategy guide, posts here at tym including PIG and others, and my own experience. This guide will also address one of Sinestro's weaknesses; close range combat after an opponent has broken through his zoning. I will list all 8 combos in order of damage and then give a small guide on each. Again there may be more damaging combos than the ones you see here, but these are the most consistent and practical combos for Sinestro I have found. Ok, lets get started.

#1 (d2-b1-shackles-b3-J3-b213 21%) Sinestro has one of the best uppercuts in the game. It has excellent range, is fairly fast, and one of the best anti-airs period. For opponents who love to jump in with combos this will win out the majority of the time. This combo can also be done on a grounded foe. There are times where if the opponent is close enough you can combo into 22 shackles for a b3 launcher but b1 is much more consistent because of it's range.

#2 (d1-shackles-b3-j3-b213 23%) One glaring flaw for sinestro is the lack of a low starter. So opponents have no real fear of blocking low. Well, d1-shackles effectively solves this problem, but don't abuse it. Technically d1 hits mid so opponents who are in stand block or crouch block will still block this attack. However, d1 will go under many high attacks in the game (even most projectiles) which can give the appearance of a low attack causing the opponent to hesitate when timed properly; when this happens perform a sweep setting up combo # 5 or b2 setting up combo # 4. The opponent must guess between blocking the low sweep or the overhead launcher; they cannot block both options at the same time. While d1 is relatively safe on block, shackels is not. So if an opponent blocks both the d1 and shackles you eat a full combo. Occasionally throw out a d1 when your opponent is rushing you down. It's fast and difficult to punish but don't spam d1-shackles every time.

#3 Small space between you and your opponent (f2-whiff-d1-shackles-b3-j3-b213 24%) When opponent feels that Sinestro is not in range for d1 and doesn't feel the need to block; hit them with this. The d1 in the f2d13 combo has good range, hits low and is safe if you finish the combo. The rule applies here as the combo above; don't spam f2d1-shackles. f2d13 is safe on block. So, if you think you can land shackles during the combo go for it but if your unsure just finish the f2d13 combo and make it safe.

#4 (b2-delay-11-shackles-b3-j3-b213 26%) When an opponening is blocking low in respect of your d1-shackles, f2d1-shackles, or sweep; come in and start this combo. b2 is an overhead attack meaning that it must be blocked standing and if you have conditioned your opponent to block low this can be a fairly easy combo to start. When b2 is blocked you can cancel into shakles for a trap catching the opponents punish attempt. b2 is unsafe on block but if the opponent respects shakles you can make them hesitant to punish b2 giving you the illusion of saftey; even though both b2 and shakles are unsafe on block. If you whiff b2 you can do b21 and if the 1 is blocked it makes the b2 safe. The b213 combo by Sinestro is the most damaging chain combo he has doing 16% damage. This combo can be cut short after b2 and he can then link in the 111 combo after a small delay. This tactic allowes Sinestro to at least have a small threat of a 50/50 mix-up from close range.

#5 d3 sweep opponent causing an untechable knock down-then jump over their head (air-axe of terror-22-shackles-b3-j2-b213 27%) When your doing your d1-shackles and f2d1-shackles don't forget about your sweep. It has good range, causes an untechable knock down (meaning the opponent must stay grounded for a certain period of time and cannot role back), and can lead to a diry wake up tactic. Whenever you land a sweep immediately jump up right over the opponents head and then input axe of terror. What happens is the opponents wake up attack will occasionaly reverse itself and go the other way; if you are in the right spot. Even if you are not in the sweet spot and the opponents wake up attack comes out normal this will still work most of the time. Not only is it very difficult for most of the cast to escape this, but there are some characters who have no answer for this at all, like the Joker. If the Joker does any of his wake up attacks or super move the axe will catch him allowing you to combo; even if your not in the sweet spot. Joker is forced to block this......setting up a vortex. If the opponent respects the axe and you feel that they will not do a wake up attack then netural jump strait up and down or over their heads to the other side and do one of the following: grab attempt, d1-shackles/ f2d1-shackles/ sweep, or the b2 overhead. This effectively creates a vortex a guessing game to put your opponent in. If they block low use your b2, if they try to stand block the b2 grab them or sweep low and so and so forth. Again the vortex can only begin when the opponent respects the axe stuffing their wake up attack. It is possible to cross them up with j3-hit confirm-axe of terror after the sweep but thats a little more tricky.

#6 (b13-j2-22-shackles-b3-j2-b213 29%) This is Sinestro's most consistent combo of the b13 string. Its easy to execute, gives you options, and does decent damage. After the 22 shackles you don't have to b3. You can sweep; setting up the wake up vortex, grab, 22d2, whatever you want to do. You can link a b3 launcher after a b13 but I don't always recommend it and i will explain that in combo #8.

#7 (111-shackles-b3-j3-b213 30%) Your 111 chain combo is your best punish option after a blocked attack. Get use to the timing of using the 111 into shackles after a whiff or a blocked melee attack. This will be your most used string in very close combat. You can stop the 111 string at any time in case your opponent blocks it. Ex: you can 11-1-1-11-1-11-1-111 and keep your opponent guessing. You can also finish this string with 11u3 to use comet kick which is safe on block from the majority of the cast and gives space for zoning. Even if an opponent can punish the 11u3 it is usually a fast advancing special, projectile, or occasionally a super move. So for one they have to expect it and two they likely won't get much damage. It's just a nice way to keep them guessing is it 111 or 11u3. Anytime comet kick is blocked (standing 3 version only/ not 11u3) you have a guaranteed shackles attempt. If the opponent tries to do anything other than block (dash in, special move, jump) they will get hit by the shackles. However, if the opponent blocks the shackles they get a combo opportunity so it really becomes a guessing game. How successful you are a defending yourself at close range will have alot to do with how well you manipulate the 111 and 11u3 strings. ***some characters can escape this trap with a super move***

#8 (b3-j3-b12-shackles-j2-b213 34%) This Sinestro's most consistent combo off the b3 launcher. If you read combo #6 then you saw that you can link a b3 after a b13 but I don't always recommend it and here's why. The timing of the b13-b3 is pretty tricky and it doesn't add anymore damage to the combo it still does 34%. Not only that but his b3 is one of the best in the game arguably a better anti-air than his d2. On top of that you can use one bar of meter if necessary for armor to plow through your opponents attack. So in my opinion there is no reason to use b13-b3 except in the corner for level transition. Its not worth an extra 5% damage (29%-34%) for a potential dropped combo. So when using the b13 string stick to combo #6 you'll get it every time, especially online.

In conclusion I hope that I have shed a little light on Sinestro and that you may be able to get something out of this. If you actually read all of this thank you, it means alot. Sorry for not having video to show you what I am talking about, but you guys are smart you'll figure it out.

Back to the lab.

EDIT: Mid-screen trait and meter combos off a safe launcher.

trait-mb fearblast-shackles-meteor-22%
trait-mb meteor-shackles-meteor-24%
3-mb fearblast-shackles-meteor-26%
f3-j2-3-mb fearblast-shackles-meteor-34%
trait-mb meteor-trait-mb fearblast-shackles-meteor-36%
f3-j2-112-mb meteor-trait-shackles-meteor-36%
b3-j3-3-mb fearblast-shackles-meteor-37%
trait-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-38%
b3-j3-112-mb meteor-trait-shackles-meteor-39%
b3-j3-111-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-39%
f3-j3-111-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-39%
trait-b3-j3-3-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-42%
3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-42%
f3-j2-3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-44%
b3-j3-3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-47%
trait-b3-j3-trait-j3-trait-j2-2-shackles-j2-b213-48%
cross over j3-trait-b3-j3-3-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-49%
trait-b3-j3-3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-50%
b3-j3-trait-j3-trait-j3-trait-2-shackles-j2-b213-50%
f3-j2-3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-51%
cross over j3-trait-b3-j3-trait-j3-trait-2-shackles-j2-b213-52%
3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-52%
b3-j3-3-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-mb fearblast-trait-shackles-meteor-54%

Overall the 49% combo is your most efficient combo. It uses only 1 meter, 2 trait, does great damage, and puts the opponent full screen in a hard knockdown.

The 37% combo is really good too because it only uses 1 meter and no trait.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
65% in corner

JI3 3 TRAIT 3 TRAIT SUPER

:)

65% is very nice for trait and meter. My combos here don't use any meter or trait so you will always have these. Nice post PIG. What do you think PIG? Would you say that these would be close to his bnb combos? I was trying to simplify all his mid-screen into the easiest most useful close range combos without meter or trait I could. I felt these 8 combos are the easiest most practical combos used by Sinestro. Would you somewhat agree with me or do you think I am way off?

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
65% is very nice for trait and meter. My combos here don't use any meter or trait so you will always have these. Nice post PIG. What do you think PIG? Would you say that these would be close to his bnb combos? I was trying to simplify all his mid-screen into the easiest most useful close range combos without meter or trait I could. I felt these 8 combos are the easiest most practical combos used by Sinestro. Would you somewhat agree with me or do you think I am way off?
I would definitely have ji2 b13 b3 ji2 b12 shackles ji2 f2d13 on there

37%

Also great list by the way and explanation. I would personally recommend (and i had this mess up as well) changing the b213 enders in some of those where it's possible to f2d13 enders cause you end w more advantage on hit, less recovery , they are now full screen and grant more time for charging triat

DepreszD

5pectre of Vengvnce
I think they are for the most.. I had done about 4 of your combos and variations on my own before reading the post.

And that 65% is great work! i like that.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
If you add the bb13 but like I said I don't recommend it'l
I would definitely have ji2 b13 b3 ji2 b12 shackles ji2 f2d13 on there

37%

Also great list by the way and explanation. I would personally recommend (and i had this mess up as well) changing the b213 enders in some of those where it's possible to f2d13 enders cause you end w more advantage on hit, less recovery , they are now full screen and grant more time for charging triat
I posted a combo similar to this in another thread starting with j2. I believe Karried told me not to include jip as combo starter. You can add j2 to combo #8 and that will do 37% if you use the b13 but I said I don't recommend it. Also great call ending with f2d13. Does a little less damage but gives a better set up. Thanks.

#2 (d1-shackles-b3-j3-b213 23%) One glaring flaw for sinestro is the lack of a low starter. So opponents have no real fear of blocking low. Well, d1-shackles effectively solves this problem, but don't abuse it. While d1 is relatively safe on block, shackels is not. So if an opponent blocks both the d1 and shackles you eat a full combo. Occasionally throw out a d1 when your opponent is rushing you down. It's fast and difficult to punish but don't spam d1-shackles every time.
Are you sure that d1 hits low?
I'm really bored to check it right now, but why do I have the feeling that I had check this being a mid...?

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Dammit. Well we still have the f2d13. d1 is still difficult to punish even if it is a mid. So I would still consider d1-shackles a essential combo for Sinestro. Altering between d1 and d1-shackles works pretty good for me.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Ok guys, I have updated my #2 combo in the original post. I had thought d1 was a low attack but it's not it's a mid. So I have added the adjustment for it. d1 is still relevant though if you play your cards right.

I have also udated combo #7 the 111 string and combo #4 the b2 string.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
B13 into B3 really is not that hard guys. That should be the standard BnB imo for maximum damage output and positioning.
This isn't about damage it's about consistency. b13-b3 isn't that hard but it is still not worth it mid-screen when it doesn't really increase the damage or options.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
B13 into B3 really is not that hard guys. That should be the standard BnB imo for maximum damage output and positioning.
Cowboy and I were sharing ideas and he came up w idea of after the BNB instead of ji2 f2d13 ender do ji2 d1 and go for 50/50 or throw

What u think?

I'm making a guide ad will send to u and cowboy for approval and post it on the forums