What's new

Tech Silly Slide as a Combo Ender

BRIG

Noob
It seems like lots of players are content with ending their combos with play doctor, but I think silly slide might be a better option. You sacrifice a bit of damage for continued pressure possibilities.

Take for example the basic common midscreen combo

b2,2 db3 ~ 1, b3, j2, j2, 1,2 play doctor

instead of using wrapping up the combo using play doctor and leaving you and your opponent at neutral, you can maintain pressure by ending with 1, 2 silly slide. damage is still a respectable 36%.

So what's so great about this ?

Well for starters, this can also allow for potential safe jumps. For example do the above - end with 1, 2 silly slide then hold up to neutral jump post recovery and land with a meaty j2. I haven't tested this across the board, but this setup vs deathstroke will stuff a wakeup sword flip and even recover in time to block a wake up sword spin(unfortunately ms quinn can't punish deathstroke here but you get the point).

Rolling by the opponent, then reversaling can throw a wrench in the setup - I'm still trying to find options that are solid against both of the opponents options.

For example b 1, 2, 1 silly slide hold up forward j2. . .

1)will stuff deathstrokes roll into wakeup flip.
2)If he doesn't roll you can whiff the j2 and stick a d1 to stuff regular wake up sword flip. Unfortunately this loses to wake up sword spin.
3)If you anticipate a spin you can whiff the j2 and then neutral j2 again to smack his head and follow up with b2,2 db 3. . . Best part is if he simply blocks only the initial b2 will come out --no need to worry about hit comfirming! Note though is this option isn't invincible, you will get sliced up if he chose to sword flip.

If you guys are interested I'll keep posting what I come across. Digging the forums so far.

xWEBSx

Too old for this Shit
BRIG-

I agree.. Not to mention the mix-up between play doctor and the silly slide. In another post on Harley I posted the importance of learning the silly slide in and out because it is a command dash that not every char has... Good stuff man- I'm interested in seeing what you come up with!

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
Posted this in the general discussion thread, but I'll post it here, too. You can dash cancel Pop Pop as and ender for roughly the same effect, and since Pop Pop can be charged, you can bait shit out and punish.

BRIG

Noob
Thanks for the replies guys.

@SaintConnor didn't know about the pop pop dash cancel, I'll definitely look into that.

Shady

Noob
The only problem with that would be fast wake ups for some characters. Would have to be match up specific. But good stuff, will definitely test it out later today.

Saint Connor

Team F.Y.F.
Thanks for the replies guys.

@SaintConnor didn't know about the pop pop dash cancel, I'll definitely look into that.
It doesn't have the distance Silly Slide has, but you aren't forced to commit to the slide and slide recovery (minus canceling into Tantrum or Super), leaving you with a few more options.

BRIG

Noob
Saint Connor believe or not the silly slide has overall less recovery than pop pop forward dash. With slide you dAsh immediately so you'll be in position faster. With pop pop there is startup before you can dash, plus dash frames and recovery.

Nonetheless it can still be a solid option. For example against lex's godlike corps charge wake up. Even though its punishable by full combo sometimes you won't want to take the risk of being next to him when he's getting up. Respecting it means having to be next to him and blocking(and if he realizes this he can wake with his own pressure and take advantage of your hesitation).

You can instead simply condition him to block by ending combos with pop pop charges. Off the std combo I posted above his corps charge will end right in front of you and u can give a nice pop shot to face. Youre basically forcing him to block on wakeup. Once he realizes he should just block you can start dash canceling the pop pop and get back in his grill.