Should tournaments be best of 5?

Best of 5?

• Yea

Votes: 110 79.1%
  • Nah

Votes: 29 20.9%

• Total voters

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
The thing is, getting top 16 in a tournament in other communities means something, and it should here as well. Oh well
Eh, I see it to a point. Top 16 or top 8 is worth noting to me, but I don't understand the major significance it holds with a lot of people.

Personally, I like the traditional definition of "placing" which means recognizing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd only. That's me.

Jer

I'm a literal Sloth
Eh, I see it to a point. Top 16 or top 8 is worth noting to me, but I don't understand the major significance it holds with a lot of people.

Personally, I like the traditional definition of "placing" which means recognizing 1st, 2nd, and 3rd only. That's me.
So anyone outside of 3rd place shouldnt get recognition. Where does that stop though. If I got first at a tournament, then 4th at another, am I a nobody/shitter again because I didn't get first?

ChaosTheory

A fat woman came into the shoe store today...
So anyone outside of 3rd place shouldnt get recognition. Where does that stop though. If I got first at a tournament, then 4th at another, am I a nobody/shitter again because I didn't get first?
Nah, it's never just black and white like that. By the way, it's not a big deal to me, just something I've noticed. This isn't a crusade or anything. Like I said, I guess I'm a traditionalist here as far as placing. I suppose in the case of a double-elimination tournament bracket, top 4 could make sense because those are the four concrete placings. Everything else is players tied with other players.

But it's like you said: where does it stop? We have top 8, then top 16, then top 32... when does it stop mattering? Does top 16 matter at this one tournament but only top 8 matters at this other one? And then the top 32 guys want their names thrown in there, too. Outside of the true placing individuals, it starts getting into participation-trophy territory to me.

Just my natural reaction to it.

Reactions: Jer

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
Sad truth is that unless their funding is guaranteed outside of revenue (sponsors willing to bend over backwards, hence), the priority of what you just listed is not quite as-is. I don't see the marketing of tournaments but I can tell you that if they are boring they bring less than if they are exciting.
Video games are becoming more popular as there are more and more people that grew up with them becoming adults every year.

There just needs to be a medium found where these tournaments can be displayed in a manner that draws viewers in enough that they don't move on when sponsored breaks interrupt the action.

Don't underestimate this; The best games have fan-bases that are global in nature. As more gamers become adults, this is going to become more and more viable. Its just going to take someone with a plan, the capital, and the resiliency to see it through. Its going to take someone who isn't happy with a small niche, but someone that wants it all.

I have no doubt that in the very near future, a tournament will be on Spike - and that will spark the beginning of the next step...

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
3/5 is fine. You have to draw the line somewhere. There is also reality to consider. Tournaments don't even finish nearly on time as it is.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
If you play a gimmicky low tier that first to 3 is brutal.
Actually, it gives you a better shot...

The less tools you have, the less you want opponents to see - or they're going to figure out a plan around your limitations.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
Actually, it gives you a better shot...

The less tools you have, the less you want opponents to see - or they're going to figure out a plan around your limitations.
You literally just described why it is bad for low tier characters. People get used to your stuff and then you are screwed cause your character has nothing else.

That applies to very few characters in MKX though.

Reactions: GAV

NoobHunter420

Scrub God Lord
I rather not simply because that would require me to to waste an entire day to watch a top 8.
this is one of the little things that kept me away from injustice.
with that said, I can understand where tournament players are coming from.