Best of 5?

• Yea

Votes: 110 79.1%
  • Nah

Votes: 29 20.9%

• Total voters

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Personally I think MKX is a great example of a game that needs to be best of 5 in a tournament setting.

The game is too fast paced, since release I've seen not a single time out, online or offline.

The likelihood of getting 'randomed out' is far too high when there are characters like Sonya and Quan.

The stages are all really short, so a lot of matches are played either in the corner, or at least near to it.

On top of that, all the most epic matches are the ones that have come down to the wire in GFs either best of 5, or the comeback (best of 7).

What's everyone else think?

Last edited:

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
Until the boning gets zuffed then I wouldn't be against it, it is an extremely fast game. But only if TOs have the time. Which they may because did I mention this game is very fast? Erron kills people faster in the corner than I go through socks.

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Pools I like best of 2/3 because it goes by quicker for tournament organizers. Top 16-top 8 I can understand best 3/5.

But I guess right now MKX has a lotta people playing some for pot bonuses and such but if/when the numbers got smaller I can see 3/5 being okay for pools.

The Magician

According to my sources...
Yes, ECT was FT3 and heard of people making comebacks down 2-0 and even happened to me against MTL zaf. If it was FT2 none of this would have happened which kind of takes the fun out of it.

Edit: best of 3 wasn't that much faster compared to best of 5. The only reason ECT took so long is because they only had like 5-6 setups

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Personally I think MKX is a great example off game that needs to be best of 5 in a tournament setting.

The game is too fast paced, since release I've seen not a single time out, online or offline.

The likelihood of getting 'randomed out' is far too high when there are characters like Sonya and Quan.

The stages are all really short, so a lot of matches are played either in the corner, or at least near to it.

On top of that, all the most epic matches are the ones that have come down to the wire in GFs either best of 5, or the comeback (best of 7).

What's everyone else think?
They would take fucking AGES, mate. BO3 til top8 is fine really.

Asodimazze

https://twitter.com/AlfioZacco
FT3 should be a must, and I don't really know why people don't complain against the FT2 format. Personally, I don't think that travelling to play a FT2 tournament makes any sense.

Paying a lot of money to travel and get randomed out in under 3 minutes is unthinkable...2 victories are just not enough. Even 3 victories are barely sufficient

Last edited:

Circus

Part-Time Kano Hostage
Marvel vs Capcom 3 is first to 3 too and tournaments run just fine. I seriously don't see the problem.

That game has time outs happen occasionally too. Have you EVER seen a time out for MKX? The game in general is done in no time at all even against zoners.

Take$$$

gotta take it to make it
I really liked it at ECT.

So many people were up 2-0 but ended up losing 2-3 in pools.

The only reason pools went on so long was because there were surprisingly few mkx setups.

Pakman

Lawless Victory!
I don't feel 2 matches is ever enough to acclimate yourself fully to your opponents play style especially in games like mkx and even SF4, where you can get bodied for making one slip up. (This matters a lot more if you travelled some distance to get to a tournament!)

3/5 all the way.

TheIrishFGCguy

Pew pew pew
3/5 is so much more entertaining for us to watch, and I feel it's better for the players too. You can't really complain if you lose a FT3 because you almost have an entire game to spare to try and download your opponent.

More FT3s plz!

Last edited:

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I know its easy for me to say, not being a TO, but I dont see a problem for 3/5 running on time.

MKX sets definitely go faster than any game ran at tournaments now except for maybe Marvel.

@Vandy

SEV

Noob
Yes, ECT was FT3 and heard of people making comebacks down 2-0 and even happened to me against MTL zaf. If it was FT2 none of this would have happened which kind of takes the fun out of it.
Of course the majority of the players competing will want 3/5, except for those that lost in the scenarios that you mentioned, because if they're confident in their play, the better player will usually win the longer the set goes, but I feel this spoils a level of the competition.

A big aspect of competitions is playing to the best of your ability on that day, in other words being able to preform without being given more than ample time to adjust, and having 3/5 too early in a tournament destroys that aspect of the competition because it gives people too much time to adapt to strategies made for that tournament.

MKX is a round based game which means in a 2/3 set, you have at least 3 rounds to understand and counter your opponent's strategy, and in a 3/5 you have at least 5. Most people would agree that 3 rounds should be enough time to get a feel for a strategy or download the other player if you are skillful enough, unless they just don't know the match up entirely in which case they shouldn't be given more time to make up for their lack of preparation.

MLG did it well by transitioning from 2/3 to 3/5 when you made it into the championship bracket, making it out of pools, but their pools ended at top 32 instead of top 16/8.

Top 32 is a good point to go into 3/5 because it rewards the players who put in the most preparation to advance far in the tournament, while ensuring that only the best make it to the end of the tournament.

GLoRToR

Positive Poster!
Tournaments take ages because the TOs always have to sort out stream related stuff, not because the games themselves take time. A match in MKX flies by really fast.

Setting up a match takes a hell of a lot longer, so why not get more out of it?
I do see your reasoning. But it still adds up. I'd rather not have you kick JoeShmoe's ass five times in a row, only twice, to move on to actual opponents.

I think if it comes down to the last wire, with both players on match point, then a last minute match/matches should be done.

For example if both players win 2 matches, and it comes down to the last round, then the winner of that round has one more match to win, and the loser has 2. A bit like a reset I guess...

This way, it helps determine who deserved to win rather than who got lucky first combo + corner

JTB123

>>R2 - BF4 = Unblockable.
I think first to 3 should be the standard but I understand why it's not for some. The exact same thing was brought up for Injustice too and that game didn't have a round based system.

Number of entrants is also perhaps the biggest factor, if you have a tournament with 60 players then first to 3 should be fine. Whereas if you have 200 that's a whole lot more matches.

Last edited:

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I've only been to one tournament where the entire bracket was 3/5 (the London MK Cup qualifier), and none of the organization suffered because of it directly. As competitors I feel like it gives us more time to assess our options and mistakes between games too, especially if the previous game was decided on a whim.

The Magician

According to my sources...
Of course the majority of the players competing will want 3/5, except for those that lost in the scenarios that you mentioned, because if they're confident in their play, the better player will usually win the longer the set goes, but I feel this spoils a level of the competition.

A big aspect of competitions is playing to the best of your ability on that day, in other words being able to preform without being given more than ample time to adjust, and having 3/5 too early in a tournament destroys that aspect of the competition because it gives people too much time to adapt to strategies made for that tournament.

MKX is a round based game which means in a 2/3 set, you have at least 3 rounds to understand and counter your opponent's strategy, and in a 3/5 you have at least 5. Most people would agree that 3 rounds should be enough time to get a feel for a strategy or download the other player if you are skillful enough, unless they just don't know the match up entirely in which case they shouldn't be given more time to make up for their lack of preparation.

MLG did it well by transitioning from 2/3 to 3/5 when you made it into the championship bracket, making it out of pools, but their pools ended at top 32 instead of top 16/8.

Top 32 is a good point to go into 3/5 because it rewards the players who put in the most preparation to advance far in the tournament, while ensuring that only the best make it to the end of the tournament.
I was one of those people, I was up 2-0 on zaf. He just adapted better then I did the last 3 games, I still think 3/5 should be implemented due to the fast pace of this game.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
MKX is not the only game where getting 'randomed out' is a possibility.

I for one am all for more games, more stream time, more MKX. But I have next to no idea what goes into setting up a tournament, so I, and like minded viewers would always want more bang for my buck while remaining ignorant of the aforementioned. It may be grueling on players, it may be preferred by players. It may be grueling on T.Os, it may be not that big of a deal for T.Os. But of all three groups (viewers, players and T.O.s) I think it should be the last two to make this decision.