What's new

Should Super Moves Do More Damage?

Should Super Moves in I2 Do More Damage?

• Yes, 4 bars should alter the match momentum completely

Votes: 26 51.0%
  • No, current damage is perfect

Votes: 25 49.0%

• Total voters

FinalBoss_FGC

Day -4MONTHS Dual Jin main
Recently, Flash God Lord @HoneyBee posted on Twitter something that should be debated in the community.

He said "I really want NetherRealm to make Supers really useful and common to use like Street Fighter V. They're too awesome to go mostly unseen!"

My response was since they do the same amount of damage as a one bar combo, it doesn't make any sense to use 4 bars for it.

I didn't address the fact air techs and rolls both costing a meter to get out of trouble.

In a very meter dependent game like I2 is looking to be, should Super moves do more than the 35-40% (or whatever the like numbers they use now) we have seen?

Imagine if someone is keeping the pressure up, chip damaging the hell out of the opponent who has just a couple more hits of chip until he dies. He finally finishes his last bar and Supers a gap, doing half of the 2nd bar of meter and taking the final match off of his opponent to make it to Grand Finals.

How HYPE would that be??

So seriously, what are you guys' stance on Super moves? I agree with Honeybee, most of them are absolutely incredible to watch. But doing high 30s% damage for 4 bars takes the usefulness out of the picture.

So maybe 45-55% damage (dependent on character) but full combo punishable?

Street Fighter characters do around 1/3 of a life bar but most characters don't do that damage in combos.

Thoughts?

And don't give me the "It's not even out yet" shit because Supers for MK and IGAU were the same way, I2 won't be different especially from what we have seen.

Redk9

Noob
I think even if we saw increased utility supers would never be used still. This game is really the most meter dependent game I've ever played. Between rolls, the air teching, wager, pushblock, and using meter for launcher purposes/making a move safe, it's just not practical to sit on that meter.

ChatterBox

Searching for an alt.
The thing I don't see mentioned is that you can't wager, air tech, or otherwise avoid that 35% damage. That's a huge threat.

I can't stand the supers in other games that just end a match. I think this is in the sweetspot of useful and cool without ruining hype for me personally.

Youphemism

Gunslinger since pre patch (sh/out to The Farmer)
It's already confirmed you can increase the damage your super does by pressing a combination of buttons.

Maybe not a direct damage increase, but how about decreased scaling?

For example, if you combo into it from just one prior hit, the damage is completed unscaled, and regardless of how many prior hits were landed it always does a minimum of 50% of its usual damage a la Street Fighter V.

Though in all fairness, @ChatterBox is correct to point out that supers being un-clashable means that they inherently have at least some utility for most characters. Heck, if you're using someone who doesn't do much chip damage in general, the chunk of chip damage you get from ending a blockstring with super can come in handy too...

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I think the damage from supers is fine. What I might do is reduce the damage from everything else instead.

But what I would really want is for Injustice to have more MvC like supers.

Wigy

There it is...
Less scaling. There is very few characters who have their highest damage combo with an xray in it.

Or if some xrays left them restanding with plus frames etc.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
No. Supers should be used for closing out matches. The fact that they are rarely used makes them hype to watch. Increasing the damage on supers could make the game boring. Kind of like those matches with modifiers on that gives you unlimited bars. Everyone just mashes the triggers. That's an exaggeration of course, but you get the picture.

YoungTeezy 305

Work Hard Play Hard
Maybe another benefit would work. Instead of adding damage, maybe supers can drain a bar of meter from the opponent in addition to the current damage. That would create new scenarios in which supers can be used

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think it should do slightly more damage. It could be a really powerful tool for less meter dependent characters. A character like Captain Cold is probably gonna be spending a lot of meter(at least it looks like it to me, pre speculation though, but less meter dependent characters like MKX Mileena or Kitana can legitimately use their x-rays a decent amount

Kenshi-Keanu-Kool

D1 mashing is the tactic when skill fails !
Supers damage are fine by me .Rather have more diversity on the SPECIALS .Like grab specials , counter specials , air specials .Deadshot for example , he could have a special where he sets a trap on the ground and you could not step that trap or the special would be trigered y . Like rocket raccon in UMVC3 . Specials that just do BOOOOM and expect to hit are lame .

trufenix

bye felicia
I wholeheartedly disagree. SF supers get used because of their utility not damage. They are comboable from specials, and most of them add an element to the characters gameplay that otherwise would not exist. NRS supers (in most cases) are only slightly more useful than some other armored move they already have, which I guess is why people think damage is the answer.

I believe super usage at high level increased, during MKX because of some of the parries and such but NRS is still lightyears behind Capcom in super move design. A damage buff is only going to make low level play worse.

Kooron Nation

More Ass and Tits for MK11
I think it should do slightly more damage. It could be a really powerful tool for less meter dependent characters. A character like Captain Cold is probably gonna be spending a lot of meter(at least it looks like it to me, pre speculation though, but less meter dependent characters like MKX Mileena or Kitana can legitimately use their x-rays a decent amount
Lol Kitana b3 x-ray is literally impossible to block, also Mileena telekick into x-ray catches so many people, love it

Leave as is , so much shit you need to use bar for now you will rarely see one.

EDIT - as stated already more super damage + bane lvl 3 venom = burned bagel bites

My answer is yes and no. I think the damage they do is fine, but I don't think it should scale at all at the end of a combo. It would add a whole new mind game to meter management.