What's new

Should DLC be temporarily banned from tournaments like mk9/inj not mkxl

Should DLC be temporarily banned until further tested?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
What did I just read?

Are people really suggesting just move the tournament date? That's the most unrealistic response I've read so far on banning dlc.
People will complain later about fraudulent wins in early tourneys as always.

Competition would be more legit if it started after people had like 1 month to get used to the game previously.

Moving dates can't be done due to logistics? Ok. Shame, because it would be better for the competition.

Azarashi Elder

Fut-SEAS....OF BLOOD!
The point I was making was that different people view these things in different ways (even years later) -- and thus that coming to one solid community consensus about what to do after 3-4 weeks is tough and we should really think this through.

I wanted to make sure we still disagreed, and it seems we do (I think Scorpion and his CEO-era meta was patently ridiculous).

But the broader point is that this is why it's hard to have the community collectively 'decide' when something is too bad to let fly in tourney (especially with no tournament matches/results to reference during a hypothetical 1-month ban).

This is partly what I'm afraid of. Usually no one ever agrees about how ridiculous DLC characters are until they see them in tournament play.
Why not deal with it in a democratic way? Have the organizers set up a poll on their website for pre-registrants. If you pay the entry fee, you get to help decide on whether or not x number of dlc characters will be legal during the event. If the majority of players vote NO it doesn't matter how long its been since the character was released. If you implement that for every tournament the broken stuff will most likely be kept out. If not, it's the players bad.

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
But remember, there was no ban on any MKX character.

I rember before CEO people were still saying "You guys need to level up and lab it more, find solutions" about Tanya. It wasn't until after CEO that the holdouts finally broke down and admitted how ridiculous she truly was -- and then it still took months and two patches to completely fix her.

Which again begs the issue... If it's been a month, and the character is still not fixed (highly likely if they haven't been seen in a tournament during that time), who decides what happens then?

And is the community capable of making a consesus decision about what to do after the month is up, collectively, and relating that to TOs in a clear fashion?
Well that's incorrect because the people who are great identifying OP and broke said it week 1

Pig Of The Hut

Day 0 Phenomenal Dr. Fate and Darkseid player
2-3 weeks ban sounds good to me. Also you kind of have to see a character play in tournament to see how good they are, so it doesn't make sense to ban somebody for too long when tier lists and how good a character is and things like that are all opinion
I respectfully disagree w this because when you have sonic, scar, yourself, Reo,dragon, toxin, p2w, myself, cd Jr, honeybee , etc streaming its pretty easy to see what it'll look like

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
People will complain later about fraudulent wins in early tourneys as always.

Competition would be more legit if it started after people had like 1 month to get used to the game previously.

Moving dates can't be done due to logistics? Ok. Shame, because it would be better for the competition.
The way people figure out the game is to play in a tournament setting. You can't just move tournaments to months after release. The meta wouldn't develop as fast.

Besides, most people that go to tournaments do so for more reasons than the competition. If it really was all about winning you wouldn't see hundreds of people, none of who have any chance of making top 8, enter tournaments over and over. A lot of people go to tournaments to see their friends/chill/play friendlies.

shura30

Shura
These are some examples of super strong characters that didn't have their potential unlocked until a considerable length into the games life. So I wouldn't say the good stuff gets found early.
the community and so the meta moves at a different speed now
we have more better-than-average players, more tech monsters, a better netcode to grind chars to tournament

overkill chars and crazy setups will still break the game, Pig is correct while saying that dlc will not be sold as non-viable
I'd add the spotlight that a streamed major would give to said dlc so it has to be more of a soft ban from the community (think of akuma in sf2t) which is unlikely to stay since there'll be money on the line on top of the fact that someone's main is already scheduled for dlc
or any of you would've said to tokido to not pick up akuma as soon as he'd be released?

I'd say it's up to NRS to keep the aliens off i2 but from the looks of it, the complexity and the moves variety of the roster showed so far is basically screaming at our faces that there'll be op stuff from the start

we play these games, we're stuck with them. anything in between is just placebo
competitive play also means that be best at gathering knowledge and adapting will prevail
so if a dlc char happens a week before a major and you didn't prepare for the contest, joke's on you

God Confirm

We're all from Earthrealm. If not, cool pic brah.
I saw we just ban every character except for Supergirl ahead of schedule so that its an even playing field

its been proven time and time again that this would fix all prblems

Cheapest way to win games in any tournament

Vote is yes (I think around 1 month is all around a good period, Its not too soon or too late)

The PantyChrist

Rest in Pantiez
My understanding of this rule in other games is to give time to learn the mus not necessarily to learn what's broke with a character. If left unpatched for a month it will end up at the next tourney anyway. But people will better understand it. I plan on attending at least a few i2 tourneys and I think the ban is fine