What's new

Should Breakaway be moved to a different input to prevent accidental breakaways? (Poll)

Should breakaway be moved to a different input?

• Total voters

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Yes, I’d very much welcome this change. The amount of times you get hit by a projectile and try and late block only to immediately breakaway is frustratingly uncountable.

Even if they just give us a menu option to change it if we want to, so that players already used to block don’t have to change if they don’t want to.

yes. Off topic...Am I the only one that would accidentally use breaker in MK9 and X when I only meant to block?

NeroOps

Death Before Dishonor
It wouldn't be a bad change but why are you mashing the block button while you're being juggled airborne if you have no reason to breakaway?

Kiss the Missile

Red Messiah
It wouldn't be a bad change but why are you mashing the block button while you're being juggled airborne if you have no reason to breakaway?
That isn't what happens. What happens is you're trying to fight someone like Sub Zero, approaching while crouch blocking, and at some point he throws out a yolo slide, you crouch block too late and the game reads it as a breakaway.

DavesHotnJuicy

jmack_215
That isn't what happens. What happens is you're trying to fight someone like Sub Zero, approaching while crouch blocking, and at some point he throws out a yolo slide, you crouch block too late and the game reads it as a breakaway.
Or even when you fight sindel and she throws out MB low projectile and it catches you!!

colby4898

Special Forces Sonya Up-player
yes. Off topic...Am I the only one that would accidentally use breaker in MK9 and X when I only meant to block?
I wouldnt do that but I would accidentally ex a move sometimes when I want to block. Mostly Quan Chi runes. Id whiff one, try to block and get the ex.

Pyrosis

Gentlemen, behold! My opinion!
I would welcome this change but would much prefer to see a change that ensures you don't get punished just because the opponent did breakaway at the right timing. Tons of specials just leave you just standing there long enough for the opponent to just get up and full combo you. Kano's Snakebite is a good example... If you commit to it cause you want to confirm into a combo they can just breakaway when during it and get a full punish.

It's ignorant that you get punished for hit confirming correctly.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
Well, interactable button is still the same button as meterburn button, so don't get your hopes up.

@Pyrosis IMO that one’s more debatable because it’s clearly intentional design, otherwise they’d just have a classic breaker like in MKX and 9. Would make for an interesting poll thread to see how people feel - does it add depth or is it more frustrating than its worth?

Well, interactable button is still the same button as meterburn button, so don't get your hopes up.
I think it was @Trustful_Whale who told me that meterburn was originally going to be a face button input unique to each special move, like Jax’s heated arms projectiles, but the community balked at that and so NRS put it on the interact button. I don’t think there’s a similar explanation for the breakaway input - beats me why they put it on block.

ismael4790

Stay focused or get Caged
@Pyrosis IMO that one’s more debatable because it’s clearly intentional design, otherwise they’d just have a classic breaker like in MKX and 9. Would make for an interesting poll thread to see how people feel - does it add depth or is it more frustrating than its worth?

I think it was @Trustful_Whale who told me that meterburn was originally going to be a face button input unique to each special move, like Jax’s heated arms projectiles, but the community balked at that and so NRS put it on the interact button. I don’t think there’s a similar explanation for the breakaway input - beats me why they put it on block.
Iirc in the version available at the reveal event, the meterburns were still done with a specific input for each movement, yes.

It's still puzzling why they don't use the stance switch button for anything else than a useless stance switch or activating fatal blow, when using the same button for different things (like it's happening with block/breakaway or meterburn/interactables) is just bad design that guarantees problems that could be avoided by using another button like that one.

Pan1cMode

AUS FGC represent!
Iirc in the version available at the reveal event, the meterburns were still done with a specific input for each movement, yes.

It's still puzzling why they don't use the stance switch button for anything else than a useless stance switch or activating fatal blow, when using the same button for different things (like it's happening with block/breakaway or meterburn/interactables) is just bad design that guarantees problems that could be avoided by using another button like that one.
Stance switch is used for cancels, delayed wakeup, and wakeup roll. It isn’t completely useless.

I just think it makes more sense for it to also have breakaway mapped to it as well.

And on the note of MB being mapped to interact, I’m much happier about it being on interact than block. In MKX there were many times I’d accidentally enhance a move when I wanted to block.