What's new

General/Other - Shirai Ryu Shirai Ryu General Discussion Thread

Skkra

PSN: Skkra
also i think takeda will get buffed because rushdown is to OP in this game currently and zoning is all but obsolete.
This is my favorite variation. That said, do you think either of his other 2 variations deal with rushdown/corner pressure better? If so, they could be good counters for me to look into.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
This is my favorite variation. That said, do you think either of his other 2 variations deal with rushdown/corner pressure better? If so, they could be good counters for me to look into.
I know you didn't ask me but IMO yes they do. Lasher has hella armor and range and Ronin has his fastest armor move/reversal.

Got a vortex also. All 5050
So start off with 112db3 xx b21db3 xx B3 db3. This keeps them guessing; you can keep mixing this up if your feeling lucky or you can confirm B3 into a combo for more damage. At least 50% with decent ender combo. I usually do B3 bf2ex xx b21 db3 33 bf1 to end this vortex
Also db3 has excellent hit Advantage (+31) sso if you land thus keep them guessing with anyone of your combo starters.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
i've been using takeda this whole time and here what i think.

yesterday at the break was a real eye opener. i ended up getting 3rd place out of 21 people but lost to both arma's erron black and CDjr's dvorah. once corner by characters that have strings that leave them 0 on block you are pretty much hoping they do something you know is - at this point, his fastest normal is 7 frames uppercut and super - on block. once i was cornered by cdjr i couldn't do anything i tried armoring through but his strings hit fast and blew up my armor, i tried ex bf2 and ex tele. when knocked down you have to hold most mix ups with short recovery frames, because they can OS you the entire time. they can do a meaty and block and will hit you and block ex tele and ex bf2 and full combo punish. i've been experimenting with using ex bf4 far to get out of the corner but fast characters can punish it on whiff. these are his most glaring weaknesses so far. he doesn't have a get off me move he can really on like kenshi in MK9 and block breaker cost way too much and takeda is too meter dependent.

as for anti air i stick with just uppercut or instant j1 tele into full combo. that and if they decide to jump from farther to get over your overheads on a read and you read that jump b1 tele into full combo. i pulled this off at the break yesterday off stream and it was hype. mid range i like to use f3 since it leaves you at 0 if block and HKD if hit. if you are fighting slower characters you can get away with NJP punishing counter pokes after f3 or anything into close kunai if blocked. when spacing and footsies i like to throw ex kunai and catch them jumping either the 2nd one or 3rd one with an air tele into combo. also i just started to end every combo into bf2. give me full control of my oki whether i want to go low or overhead.

meterless combo i use for punish erron black's sand and such is f12 2+4 cancel into tele, NJP 44 spear or bf2 if you time it well enough. in footsies if they run up i try to jump back and catch them with either an air spear or tele into immediate NJP. when you whiff air tele you recover very fast and i caught most people with NJP right after whiffing, condition them to block or press there fastest button which usually be a high jab string. after conditioning them i like to d4 or throw them, after d4 you get a free 50/50 if unless you hit them from max range.

mashing d3 is viable because for some reason its hurt box is weird i can mash d3 on kung lao and his reversal spin wont hurt me. its +2 on block and good adv on hit so i found that if you land a d3 you can get a 50/50.

i also love to just do meterless standing combos just doing b21 kunai or b2 kunai, b3 kunai and repeat kunai gives enough adv to do them all for free and they can't jump UNLESS you mist time it or do close kunai. only do close kunai i they block since you can direct it after knowing if they get hit by the first string. once you hit them with kunai 50/50 town. you can run up and do b3 kunai if you hit it twice in a row from close already to keep doing b3 kunai until they block it lol (i've won games just doing b3 kunai, it works LOL).

i just started to day to use f1 2+4 in footsies, it has a good aerial hitbox and ends in overhead and you can hitconfirm either kunai or tele or spear. it catches people of guard thinking you whiffed (atleast high level players) and can be really handy.

anti air combo -
3 tele 33 bf3 25% meterless.
NJP j1 tele 33 bf2 25% .

you guys all had good stuff that i'll be incorporating into my game as well. also i think takeda will get buffed because rushdown is to OP in this game currently and zoning is all but obsolete.
I was thinking the same things after playing a good erron black and kano. Takeda's gunna need a wakeup buff or something to be able to handle pressure in this game as peoples dirt gets dirtier. I would win a match becuase i paced it my way but then the second they got in on me it was GG after they adapted to my d3, f3, njp shenanies.. Glad to hear I'm not the only one getting run over on OKI in the corner..

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I am starting to play Takeda like 16 Bit played Kitana in MK9. Meaning, lots of fraudulent offense and throws. After conditioning people to block with njp and d3 into f3, I start mixing it up with d3 throw and what not. Getting them to respect the njp with blocked njp into njp also leads to a njp throw opportunity.

Throw is 9 frames, will take priority over some normals, and is one of the best tools he has in close. Once they're spotting the thow, then you can hit them with poke into pressure string.

Finding the little tricks to open people up is going to be key, as it's easy to become predictable and people will start to armor through Kunai once they learn the MU.
Are you not wiffing these throws?? I figured that was a part of the game engine but I must be doing them too fast or something.. Haven't tried EXing them or anything but I did the math and came to this conclusion that maybe throw was the answer but after eating a few big wiff punishes I figured it wasn't viable. Can you run me by a couple scenarios that it's worked for you so I can see the pattern a bit?

I'd also get poked out of it I should say. They they would read my NJPs to counter all the poking and I'd get blown up by standing 1s.. I'm all together a mess upclose right now.. :(

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I'd been wondering if maybe ronin would be better suited to those upcloe rush down mus.. Honestly havent touched it much but I'd imagine the sword drop would check people from running in all cray-like and shiria ryu kan (dp) is a good antiair and looks like it may be good on wake up. can anyone confirm??

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I've been seeing alot of threads about Shirai Ryu but I honestly have to ask. We've been harping about his weaknesses in this variation but it seems like noone is using ronin much. can someone point me to that??

roosTakk

Chode Juggler
Got a vortex also. All 5050
So start off with 112db3 xx b21db3 xx B3 db3. This keeps them guessing; you can keep mixing this up if your feeling lucky or you can confirm B3 into a combo for more damage. At least 50% with decent ender combo. I usually do B3 bf2ex xx b21 db3 33 bf1 to end this vortex
Also db3 has excellent hit Advantage (+31) sso if you land thus keep them guessing with anyone of your combo starters.

How are you hit confirming B3? I call bullshit.

Zoidberg747

My blades will find your heart
I've been seeing alot of threads about Shirai Ryu but I honestly have to ask. We've been harping about his weaknesses in this variation but it seems like noone is using ronin much. can someone point me to that??
Ronin more of a defensive variation IMO. The DP is a great AA and punishing tool. He also has a projectile to check opponents. He has some mixup potential with the sword but if you get caught without it you are in a world of hurt. He also has faster strings with less range. Its his coolest variation IMO but it will take a long time to figure out how to win with it consistently.

His MB TP is really frustrating to use in wakeup. It has armor but it seems like the armor only wants to work in the first couple frames. Being blown up by a single strike on it is annoying.

CrimsonShadow

Administrator and Community Engineer
Administrator
Are you not wiffing these throws?? I figured that was a part of the game engine but I must be doing them too fast or something.. Haven't tried EXing them or anything but I did the math and came to this conclusion that maybe throw was the answer but after eating a few big wiff punishes I figured it wasn't viable. Can you run me by a couple scenarios that it's worked for you so I can see the pattern a bit?

I'd also get poked out of it I should say. They they would read my NJPs to counter all the poking and I'd get blown up by standing 1s.. I'm all together a mess upclose right now.. :(
So basically once you've d3 into a quick starter/footsie normal (like f3 or f2) a couple of times, they're conditioned to block after d3. That's when I d3 and then walk the slightest bit forward and throw. It's a tiny tiny walk, like a split second, and immediate throw. That'll put you in range.

Earlier today I found you can't do 33 xx EX bf1, b21 xx tele against fera/torr. As the tele doesn't connect, I guess fera bounces higher than normal after b21 for some odd reason and you go right under. Can someone confirm, or is it just me?

Brack1sh

Chimpanzee that!
Takeda(Ronin) - Added a new move “Quick Kall” (Down, Towards, Front Punch) which quickly returns a dropped blade without doing an attack.

Takeda(Shirai Ryu) – He will now always teleport to the other side when doing the Air Shirai Ryu Port

http://community.wbgames.com/t5/Official-Announcements/4-18-patch-Gameplay-notes/m-p/463891#U463891

This was posted in another thread about the recent patch that came out. Got a new move in Ronin and tweaked his teleport in Shirai Ryu

Last edited:

Derby

Noob
That's gotta be hell to execute though.. I'll try. Lol!
Try getting used to a
NJ2 > J4 xx > EX Air Spear > 33 xx > Spear​
or a more viable/useful
J4 xx > EX Air Spear > NJ2 > 44 xx > BF2​
first, and then you might be able to get used to doing
EX Spear > Teleport > NJ2 > J4 xx > Air Spear (34% irc)​
for all your enhanced spear hits. Last, try doing the original 2 meter combo.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Try getting used to a
or a more viable/useful
Like I said man I'll try but the njp after the ex spear > teleport gives me hell.. I couldn't imagine doing it well enough to get a j4 in after the njp..

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
Try getting used to a
or a more viable/useful
Ok after finally getting that after many tries I think I'm gunna stick to ji2 > 44 xx > EX spear > b21 > teleport > 22 xx > spear = 42% (1 meter) as my max damage setup.. It's just way easier to confirm and I'm worried my lack of execution will bite me in the ass when I spend that second bar to drop a combo.. That's amazing that you could do that though. Maybe as the game progresses I'll get good enough to land that but for now.. I'm good. Lol!

Derby

Noob
Ok after finally getting that after many tries I think I'm gunna stick to ji2 > 44 xx > EX spear > b21 > teleport > 22 xx > spear = 42% (1 meter) as my max damage setup.. It's just way easier to confirm and I'm worried my lack of execution will bite me in the ass when I spend that second bar to drop a combo.. That's amazing that you could do that though. Maybe as the game progresses I'll get good enough to land that but for now.. I'm good. Lol!
Yeah, it took forever to get down. Just getting better at doing a njp in combos opens up the potential to do larger two meters or higher damage one meters.

Try doing this:

With instead an EX spear at the end and then an air spear. It has no nj2, so it may be easier if you can cancel kombos well enough.

So: b21 xx > EX Kunai > b2 xx > Teleport > f21 xx > EX spear > Jump forward > Air spear (2 meters, 47%)