What's new

General/Other - Shinnok Shinnok Breakdown

5M0K3

Grandmaster
No, I organized them by variation, otherwise editing nothing else ^-^
Oh thank you, I'm sure many people will be happy with that. This thread is not over yet, I am still updating stuff for bone shaper and imposter. Also ofc im finding new combos

I have a question about the damage buff in Imposter. Does the damage buff stay active as long as you hold the move? or is it timed? If the latter, do you know how long?

5M0K3

Grandmaster
I have a question about the damage buff in Imposter. Does the damage buff stay active as long as you hold the move? or is it timed? If the latter, do you know how long?
It is timed, and the buff will last 10 seconds I have edited that in

UPR_Nova

Noob
Edit: Necromancer Variation

A couple of things I would like to note. Although most Shinnok players probably know this, I would like to put it out there because it is important to his game. F224 is highly punishable in all circumstances, therefore, should be utilized sparingly. You do not have enough cancel advantage for any part of that string into EX bf1. For instance, f22 xx EX bf1 and f224 xx EX bf1 have a gap for armored attacks before the special comes out. This makes it risky against a well informed opponent. The only time you have enough cancel advantage is from f2 xx EX bf1. I say this because you can't go around throwing out f2 for free in the neutral game, especially against someone that knows what they are doing. Essentially, your only mixup (off a punishable string , remember that) is if you will complete the entire string or not. Keep in mind it is still punishable, and dumb to throw out without meter. Also, xx bf2 after any string (I will correct this statement if I find otherwise as I'm at school between classes at the moment) can be armored. Example, 112 xx bf2 can be punished. Is this something that will break him down? I don't know, however, it is something to think about when you are playing an opponent with high execution and knowledge.

One other tidbit. I'm thinking it's character specific and I need to test more but after a string cancelled into EX bf1 you are able to d4 xx bf2 for extra chip or damage if they are unaware and move. The reason I say more testing is because even though the game data lines up and the reach on d4, it doesn't character wise. In an actual match, I was able to land this vs Kotal Kahn in corner and midscreen, Sub Zero corner and midscreen but against Scorpion, I did not land it one time. My timing could have been off since it was online but I think something is going on with the hitboxes again. Similar to the fact that some high attacks land on duck blocking opponents and some not just like MK9.

Why is this important? Well we essentially make our strings safe (if it doesn't get punished on startup) with EX bf1. So there is more chip and mixup opportunity after it lands on block now. Make them respect your frame trap with d4 xx bf2. After they respect, run in throw, run into string, jump (not recommended) into string, loop it again, etc.

No game breaking information here but we can't act like f224 is ridiculously godlike because I have three opponents that say otherwise. ALSO.... I'm not saying op said that! Lol, just making people aware!

Last edited:

5M0K3

Grandmaster
A couple of things I would like to note. Although most Shinnok players probably know this, I would like to put it out there because it is important to his game. F224 is highly punishable in all circumstances, therefore, should be utilized sparingly. You do not have enough cancel advantage for any part of that string into EX bf1. For instance, f22 xx EX bf1 and f224 xx EX bf1 have a gap for armored attacks before the special comes out. This makes it risky against a well informed opponent. The only time you have enough cancel advantage is from f2 xx EX bf1. I say this because you can't go around throwing out f2 for free in the neutral game, especially against someone that knows what they are doing. Essentially, your only mixup (off a punishable string , remember that) is if you will complete the entire string or not. Keep in mind it is still punishable, and dumb to throw out without meter. Also, xx bf2 after any string (I will correct this statement if I find otherwise as I'm at school between classes at the moment) can be armored. Example, 112 xx bf2 can be punished. Is this something that will break him down? I don't know, however, it is something to think about when you are playing an opponent with high execution and knowledge.

One other tidbit. I'm thinking it's character specific and I need to test more but after a string cancelled into EX bf1 you are able to d4 xx bf2 for extra chip or damage if they are unaware and move. The reason I say more testing is because even though the game data lines up and the reach on d4, it doesn't character wise. In an actual match, I was able to land this vs Kotal Kahn in corner and midscreen, Sub Zero corner and midscreen but against Scorpion, I did not land it one time. My timing could have been off since it was online but I think something is going on with the hitboxes again. Similar to the fact that some high attacks land on duck blocking opponents and some not just like MK9.

Why is this important? Well we essentially make our strings safe (if it doesn't get punished on startup) with EX bf1. So there is more chip and mixup opportunity after it lands on block now. Make them respect your frame trap with d4 xx bf2. After they respect, run in throw, run into string, jump (not recommended) into string, loop it again, etc.

No game breaking information here but we can't act like f224 is ridiculously godlike because I have three opponents that say otherwise. ALSO.... I'm not saying op said that! Lol, just making people aware!
Well this is informative and useful info, but I think you need to specify variation in case people don't know, but thank you i'm sure this will be useful for many who don't know Shinnok, i'll add some of this to the thread. :)

UPR_Nova

Noob
Well this is informative and useful info, but I think you need to specify variation in case people don't know, but thank you i'm sure this will be useful for many who don't know Shinnok, i'll add some of this to the thread. :)
Great point! I do the same thing you just did in the Goro thread but I step on toes here lol. Thanks! Necromancer, but I'm sure you know that!

5M0K3

Grandmaster
Update: I have reorganised the kombo area into variations, I will be adding more combos soon cus it's lacking in some areas.

He has to take a full-combo punish risk to net 26% off of a low that is not hit-confirmable and has to spend bar to do so? He also has no standing overhead starters? Hell Sparks in punishable at all ranges on block by most of the cast? All the zoning in Necromancer can be sprinted through? He can't break 25% without burning bar in most circumstances?

Lovely. Sign me up.

5M0K3

Grandmaster
He has to take a full-combo punish risk to net 26% off of a low that is not hit-confirmable and has to spend bar to do so? He also has no standing overhead starters? Hell Sparks in punishable at all ranges on block by most of the cast? All the zoning in Necromancer can be sprinted through? He can't break 25% without burning bar in most circumstances?

Lovely. Sign me up.
Haha im not forcing people to play Shinnok here just giving some information. I agree with you 100% hes very weak right now in terms of high level play. That being said you can easily destroy people online with Shinnok.

NoxiousDonny

"Cheap Grubber"
Haven't seen any proper Shinnok stuff so I thought I would start it off.

GENERAL
  • First thing to note: Shinnok has no overhead starters and little to no combos with overheads. This means a smart opponent will be able to defend against and punish Shinnok A LOT easier and will make the matchup harder.
Guess this should be changed. ;)

5M0K3

Grandmaster
Welp! Shinnok has been changed a little I will be updating the op with the stuff as well as posting a new reply to detail his changes! Stay tuned

Reactions: jmt