What's new

Shang Tsung Match Video & Critique Thread

LEGEND

YES!
only watched the first 8 min. of the first video, i'll catch the rest later

Overall very solid play. Great Use of zoning vs Kabal and D4/D4-SS. Pressure was good, nothing gimmicky

only critiques i have are your use of D1-Upskull (which you seemed to stop using, maybe they were an accident?) and Corner traps were not done properly

astronout

see you at the top.
only critiques i have are your use of D1-Upskull (which you seemed to stop using, maybe they were an accident?) and Corner traps were not done properly
yes they were by accident (was meant to be D1~soulsteal) & i am practicing ending the corner combos in B1,2,1~Upskull though i haven't mastered it yet. thanks for the critique.

LEGEND

YES!
yes they were by accident (was meant to be D1~soulsteal) & i am practicing ending the corner combos in B1,2,1~Upskull though i haven't mastered it yet. thanks for the critique.
i'd also try more F434-Upskull in the corner. If timed right it leaves zero time for a wake-up.

don't really know how good B121 is since once i found how good F434 was i didn't feel the need to try others out fully

astronout

see you at the top.
i'd also try more F434-Upskull in the corner. If timed right it leaves zero time for a wake-up.

don't really know how good B121 is since once i found how good F434 was i didn't feel the need to try others out fully
B1,2,1 is really good in the corner because it keeps the opponent stunned longer than F4,3,4, allowing more time for the upskull to fall onto the opponent.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
Your Shang is looking pretty good, man!

You handled Kabal very well, and Rain! I only have two things to say...

1. During the Rain matchup, why weren't you using more D4's? I saw you D3 a lot, which can be good for hitbox purposes, but this Rain player was a fan of the b2 or 1 whatever twirling dancer move. The D3's will whiff under it, but if I'm not mistaken, D4's will hit it and lead to a combo.

2. I noticed you use 1,2 1,2 1,2 after a F4xxCGS combo. It's pretty good if you want to carry, but why not do 1, F4,3xxMGS, upskull or SS? Or the F3 (stank leg), 4, MGS, Upskull or SS? (which I did see you use a couple times)

Overall, looks like you're improving your game well, and if you keep up the pace, you'll be on the road to top tier.

astronout

see you at the top.
Your Shang is looking pretty good, man!
Thanks!

1. During the Rain matchup, why weren't you using more D4's?
The second and third videos are relatively old. I've just recently started to incorporate more D4~Soulsteal/GS

I noticed you use 1,2 1,2 1,2 after a F4xxCGS combo. It's pretty good if you want to carry, but why not do 1, F4,3xxMGS, upskull or SS?
I do in fact use that combo to carry my opponent into the corner because that where i feel Shang is at his strongest. Ending combos in SS/GS/Upskull are all dependent on the matchup, location of screen, etc.
Thanks for the input and advice. It's appreciated.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
I do in fact use that combo to carry my opponent into the corner because that where i feel Shang is at his strongest. Ending combos in SS/GS/Upskull are all dependent on the matchup, location of screen, etc.

Oh, I was talking more about in terms of damage. The combo you do for the carry takes them further, but does I believe 24% damage with upskull pressure? The other one I mentioned does I think 28-29% with upskull pressure.

I understand you're doing it for the carry, but I was just curious when you did it a few times you didn't need the carry.

Your corner combo, the F4xxCGS, jk, F434, Upskull is cool though. Simple and effective. I would do something like that, but I am too in love with his uppercut combos.

Also, your use of skulls for zoning is very good, on almost all of the FGS you landed, the ones you could capitalize on, you did.

I agree with you on Shang's corner pressure. It's absurd, and looks beautiful doing it.

Khaotic_xShangx

Fear the Skulls
B1,2,1 is really good in the corner because it keeps the opponent stunned longer than F4,3,4, allowing more time for the upskull to fall onto the opponent.
b121 isnt as good as f434 in the corner. I have tested it against the cpu with lao and the person recovers faster if hit with b121 in order to do a wake up. Ill test it again but i think spin on wake up was either hitting or gave me like a couple of frames to block. f434 gives plenty of time to block and analyze if they wake up or not.

Edit: Ok....b121 gives u +33 on hit but f434 gives u +41 on hit so u are giving up 8 frames if u use the b121 in the corner. I knew there was a reason why people could wake up a little faster cause i use to use b121 before but started using f434 cause it seemed safer.

astronout

see you at the top.
Edit: Ok....b121 gives u +33 on hit but f434 gives u +41 on hit so u are giving up 8 frames if u use the b121 in the corner.
wow i had no idea! will immediately stop using B121. i naturally use f434 anyways so it's not a big deal. thanks for the heads up!

JAP

Combo maker
I can not criticize the lack of soul steal, do not looked very safe with kabal morph, but nevertheless has a good game, you lack to know a little more about options in the wall combos, soon I will help with this, very good Astronaut :)

Espio

Kokomo
Footage from the new mains online tournament for PSN. Pardon the scrubbiness of my week one Shang lol.

Your Shang is so stylish...those combos are sick :). You have pretty good footsies and spacing too from what I saw. I love watching high level Shang, kind of wish I didn't suck with him haha.

I always use the alt color for Shang too so much swag lol.

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
STB Espio you were doing well with Jax. Why didn't you keep soul stealing him? I like fighting Jax, he's a really easy character to blag on morph.

astronout good shit. I would say you need to learn Kabal though, then you can play the MU at it's max potential. I would also say block-confirm f434 into ss, simply because it gives you loads of push back and more meter than GS, of course it is a matter of preference. It just seems like after f434-gs the pushback on the string is too much to get a decent follow-up.

astronout

see you at the top.
astronout good shit. I would say you need to learn Kabal though, then you can play the MU at it's max potential. I would also say block-confirm f434 into ss, simply because it gives you loads of push back and more meter than GS, of course it is a matter of preference. It just seems like after f434-gs the pushback on the string is too much to get a decent follow-up.
i've been practicing using kabal more than i've been practicing shang lately lol. & i try to mixup using F434~GS with Upskull or SS when GS becomes too predictable. thanks for the input!