What's new

Shang Tsung General Discussion

Marinjuana

Up rock incoming, ETA 5 minutes

Young Shang's Bed of Spikes has a ton of active frames. It's normally -28 or so and -14 for EX but when done meaty, I was able to get it as good as -4 and +10, respectively. B223 is perfect for setting this up, I think you can also do safe spike after the F3 overhead knockdown.

Combined with Sektor's missiles in the corner, you can combo and jail pressure with it, pretty neat! Jailing stuff with EX spikes was much easier when I was practicing on Shao, perhaps the pushback can make it tighter on smaller characters.

Last edited:

Plop

Noob
Fun fact, Goro's omelette throw can connect on most strings on hit. It also connects on crouch blockers and neutral crouchers.

Meaning Shang can get a mixup off of B223. B22 is in itself hitconfirmable, b223 is safe on block and is +44 on hit (setup for meaty f3, young or old), b22 omelette toss can lead to about 25% for a bar (toss, dash f3 xx ex close up skull, far up skull, mid up skull, close up skull, f4 xx inject)

Of course if they make the read they can just jump and kill you, but i think it's a neat tool for him. I only got the 245-ish of a "raw" toss, im sure people with better execution can eke out a bit more
I think Goro is great with Shang. I love this mixup. You can get a combo off the low b223 with Goro's up-punch too.

Old Shang's f4121 is great with Goro too. Gives you a million years to confirm. If they're crouching I can cancel into Goro's OH throw for a combo or quickly transform into young Shang and cancel into spikes for a sneaky low. Ooooor I can do f4121 into Goro's up-punch on block for the plus frames and go straight into another f4121.

My only complaint is that up-punch seems to take forEVER to recharge

Agilaz

It has begun
How do you guys open people up? It seems like people just block my strings indefinitely, and when I try to throw I just get down jabbed.
There is no risk in throwing out F3. The overhead is -4 on block and the low is -2. You're gonna have to learn to whiff punish with old F3, young b1, skulls and maybe even df2.

Shang isn't super heavy on mix, so it's down to you to outplay your opponent, not have your character do it. What kameo are you using? If mix is really that important to your gameplan, you can't go wrong with either Lao or Darrius. Both give you hard to block setups that lead into combos. You can also go for Sareena so that when you DO open them up, it hurts like a motherfucker.

Lastly, if they're down poking you a lot, don't be afraid to throw out F4 or B2, both are pretty decent mids but tend lack range.

There is no risk in throwing out F3. The overhead is -4 on block and the low is -2. You're gonna have to learn to whiff punish with old F3, young b1, skulls and maybe even df2.

Shang isn't super heavy on mix, so it's down to you to outplay your opponent, not have your character do it. What kameo are you using? If mix is really that important to your gameplan, you can't go wrong with either Lao or Darrius. Both give you hard to block setups that lead into combos. You can also go for Sareena so that when you DO open them up, it hurts like a motherfucker.

Lastly, if they're down poking you a lot, don't be afraid to throw out F4 or B2, both are pretty decent mids but tend lack range.
Usually my matches start with me zoning with young Shang. Once the opponent starts to get closer I look for opportunities to switch into old Shang. With old Shang I use F4121 to try to start my offence, using lao assist to make the block string safe. Problem is, the opponent just blocks everything and down jabs to get their turn back.

I'm not necessarily too focused on mixups but what are the lao setups if you don't mind sharing? The only one I know of is ending my combo in old Shang ex fire ball, calling lao and jump in punching the same time the hat hits.

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
Not as far as I know, the jump attack with the ground pound should break it. In my admittedly limited testing these should be inescapable. I did most of my testing on the Baraka one and I'm most certain that is inescapable
Tanya armor might get out, since she's considered airborne. Not sure if the ground pound will still affect her. I'd wager if she can't escape then no one can.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Tanya armor might get out, since she's considered airborne. Not sure if the ground pound will still affect her. I'd wager if she can't escape then no one can.
Haven't tested this against Tanya yet, I wouldn't be surprised if there's an armor move or two that can slip through with the wonky hit boxes but still needs a lot more testing yet, just thought I'd post what I've found so far but looking pretty disgusting currently

Marinjuana

I haven't labbed it or tried it out myself but Shang/Jax combo looks like the most broken thing in the game right now tbh

SixPathsOfHate

Make triple skulls input BDF or DF Hold F
Actually watch the videos, these combos restand into ground pound. No option for wakeup like the usual setups.
Yeah but he's using EX Injection for restand, there is no wakeup here
Ye, my bad. Saw jax and immediately thought of the other setup people where doing. Im seeing a lot of setups on twitter that can be stuffed by delay wake up and no one mentioning it.

Marinjuana

S3 is a high but it's +2 and it can jail into a lot of stuff, like Triple Skull, and some Kameo moves.

Everything here jails:

K = Kameo button

Sareena: S~FK/DK (Both -2)
Frost: S3~K (+4)
Stryker: S3~UK (+6)
Kung Lao: S3~BK (+2 to +4, doesn't jail at max max range)
Shujinko:
S3~BK (-13, Shujinko can special cancel from this)
S3~FK (-6, Shujinko can special cancel from this)
Goro: S3~K (+28 to like +19 or whiff depending on range)

Note that Goro K can be activated any time it doesn't need a special cancel

S3~DBF3 (triple straight skulls) also jails but is -17, but you can make this safe or even plus with a Kameo, without making a gap. Works with these moves:

Darius: K
Sektor: K (Need to set this up way earlier though)
Cyrax: K + Hold K
Kano: K
Stryker: BK (FK is iffy for this)

Last edited:

zerosebaz

What's the point of a random Krypt?
I asked in general discussion but nobody answered. I wondered if someone could tell me if using Shang with Shujinko Kameo against Kenshi you get to have 2 Sentos onscreen against him.

Marinjuana

I asked in general discussion but nobody answered. I wondered if someone could tell me if using Shang with Shujinko Kameo against Kenshi you get to have 2 Sentos onscreen against him.
Nah, just one puppet. It doesn't do anything if you already have one up. But I think you can sheath Sento as Shujinko copying Kenshi(in the mirror or as Shang morphed into Kenshi) and keep puppet out. I don't think you can do that normally as Kenshi