What's new

SFV Beta Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rip Torn

ALL I HAVE IS THE GREEN.
Anyone know what the point of Laura's V-Skill is? It seems to be negative on hit...
I've noticed it can be used as a movement tool, like when you press f+Mp+Mk and don't hold the buttons down it acts like a dash. You can also cancel the first dash into a second dash in the opposite direction. Every once in a while you can hold the buttons to drop an overhead on your opponent, then start with fireball pressure or command grabs.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
Combos work differently in SFV you just have to fiddle around.

Also of note, outside of target combos (the dial-in combos listed in the commands tab) lights will not link in to anything heavier. So a lp or lk will combo into itself, but nothing else typically, except some specials. Ken can cr.lk into a dp for example (or could, dunno what all has been changed). The game seems heavily based on counter hits and crush counters as well. An example being, Gief's St.RH , on a crush it launches and you can combo in to his Ex-Air-SPD thing. I don't know if reg will combo or not, I *think* it's only ex. But point being, crush counters and such open additional opportunities to hurt people.

Also, on the target combos, pay close attention to the moves themselves. I noticed a handful of target combos lead in to a hkd, and several pushed your opponent away a good distance and so.e had 'hopping' moves in them, which on a read could be used to go over low pokes and in to some damage.

I'm not saying they are all useful, many leave me scratching my head too, lol, but some I can see as a 'get off me' or corner push move, or, like I said, as a way to punish a sweep under certain circumstances.

I like sf V but I'm reserving final judgement for release, as it does feel a little bland. Footsies are great and fun, but I would like more links and more options, or after a bit matches will be the exact same one or two pokes into the exact same combo (because characters only have like one).

That's just my VERY preliminary opinion, the game has a lot of room and time to grow and I hope it does. It's completely possible that I'm totally missing the depth of PLAY here and I hope I am, but right now I'm seeing great mental depth yes, but not so much from the game system's stand point.

kelevra

Steel cable bungee jumper
I really love the fact that you get a free crushcounter when somebody makes a bad read on waking up.
Wakeup shoryuken? Time to inflict some serious pain. Feels damn statisfying, especially when you have vtrigger ready to extend the punish.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Also, wassup with the frames in this game?? Sometimes I feel like I hit them with a short combo leaving them standing or a poke, and instantly do an attack after and they hit ME. Am I negative after landing attacks or something? Button mashers seem to override my follow ups when I'm the one who landed a hit first half of the time. Getting frustrated. Using Chun-Li and Laura if that helps.

kelevra

Also, wassup with the frames in this game?? Sometimes I feel like I hit them with a short combo leaving them standing or a poke, and instantly do an attack after and they hit ME. Am I negative after landing attacks or something? Button mashers seem to override my follow ups when I'm the one who landed a hit first half of the time. Getting frustrated. Using Chun-Li and Laura if that helps.
Most hits dont give you enough advantage to guarantee a followup so its important that you finish your combos with something that gives a knockdown.

Johnny San

Shazzy's Biggest Fan
Can't test right now but do Crush Counters give hard knockdowns or increased damage? If not, I don't see why they made Cammy's sweep grant one.

kelevra

Can't test right now but do Crush Counters give hard knockdowns or increased damage? If not, I don't see why they made Cammy's sweep grant one.
Crushcounters give some sort of stagger which allows for a followup combo. Cammys standing roundhouse for example.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
Most hits dont give you enough advantage to guarantee a followup so its important that you finish your combos with something that gives a knockdown.
Ah ok that explains a lot. Then what's the best way to deal with button mashers or highly agressive players? Like in MKX when I see that I can block, attack their negative frame follow ups, land a hit or poke and get a free combo if they push buttons, armor when I know they'll push buttons after a block, etc.

I feel like I play better against good people and have more problems against people mindlessly mashing offense because they always hit me and I can't follow up attacks. Do you have to not push buttons if they didn't get KD or something?

kelevra

Ah ok that explains a lot. Then what's the best way to deal with button mashers or highly agressive players? Like in MKX when I see that I can block, attack their negative frame follow ups, land a hit or poke and get a free combo if they push buttons, armor when I know they'll push buttons after a block, etc.

I feel like I play better against good people and have more problems against people mindlessly mashing offense because they always hit me and I can't follow up attacks. Do you have to not push buttons if they didn't get KD or something?
You can pretty much destroy any buttonmasher with frametraps. Land a normal on block that gives you advantage and than follow up with a normal thats slow enough to leave a gap but fast enough to counterhit any sort of poke your opponent could throw out.
And then ofc its on you to hitconfirm that of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.